Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Protester climbs onto crucible snooker table

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
To be clear, I don't doubt the planet is in dreadful condition and it's human caused. The countries who benefit financially from the sale of oil aren't my favourites so I'm more than happy to see them and the oil companies generally lose money and eventually become redundant. I'm not questioning the need to totally change our mindset as a species. I think it's very, very clear the future is bleak and contains more and more extreme weather, loss of human life as a direct result and significant changes of climate all across the world.

But Just Stop Oil really aren't part of the solution. They're just causing a different problem and, frankly, probably turning people against their cause through their antics. I honestly believe a lot of those people will be quite happy to be locked away at tax payer expense for a spell. Sadly, there's a good chance it's better than any alternative options for them, for whatever reason(s).
Ok fair enough, I don't agree with you about the protesters' motives but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
You’re preaching to the converted on this issue. I am pointing out that I’ve witnessed the hypocrisy first hand of several protestors. Their disillusionment with society as a whole plays a huge part in their ideals. How can a starry eyed teenager in Nike trainers throwing milk on the floor of Asda lecture others about everything society is doing wrong?

Climate change is a huge issue, and it does begin at home. But the absolute hypocrisy and holier-than-thou attitude simply doesn’t stand up to any kind of scrutiny.
Literally everything you've posted in this thread can be summed up in a single image.
mister-gotcha-4-9faefa-1.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The two go hand in hand though.

Eating meat is repugnant and meat is a leading cause of climate change.

It is also the largest cause of animal abuse in the world.
I thought that was Freddie Starr?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Slavery was a fairly global industry I would say. I don't have grandchildren (or children) so so far I'm not part of the problem. This is a really weird discussion. Some posters can't see what the protesters are upset about and think it's terrible that some sporting events have been disrupted and roads blocked. Others like yourself acknowledge mass extinction is likely but there's no point protesting and we should all just carry on and enjoy ourselves. Jesus.
Indeed, you’ve x number minutes left. Worrying about the inevitable conclusion is a terrible waste of them IMO so raise a glass and toast humans inability to act selflessly. Btw, slavery is yet another totally incomparable example. Keep ‘em coming…(but clue, there’s nothing comparable)

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Other political parties have said they will concentrate on renewable energy, and tax the oil giants. Read it for yourself, but then you’ve already said you’re not bothered.
Nothing I say, will change your mind, so I’ll no longer bother.
I didn’t say I’m not bothered. I was always bothered. Instead, I’m now repeatedly saying, concerned or not, we can’t change it. So chill and embrace as an alternative more realistic approach without the worry and futility of fighting. You’re not in control. I’m not in control. Not even Xi’s in control. None of us are. That’s the problem. 8billion all rowing in different directions and speeds. Everything we tried has failed to even scratch the surface in terms of making a difference. I started following / studying Climate Change nearly 40years ago. All through my education, degree and all. All the flags and warning signs we missed or ran. Again and again and again. And continue to. As a species we won’t stop until nature therefore inevitably checks us. Billions will then die when ecosystems and civilisation collapses as per Sir DA’s warnings for decades now. That’s stark reality and inevitable now IMO albeit not likely for a few decades more (hopefully). By then you’ll be dead. I’ll be dead. Most users on the forum will be. The new generations being born now will curse us, and rightly so. But as said, they’d act no differently. Enjoy what’s left, easier than fighting Mother Nature’s retribution.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Massive energy bills affects millions, including children and wrinkles.
We are being fleeced to line politicians pockets, and oil billionaires.
Indeed. And how would banning oil alter that ? People will always need energy one way or the other, and governments / energy companies will always hold the cards. There's vested interests that will hold these powers in place.

These protests will amount to nothing (except people being inconvenienced). The protestors are just howling at the moon.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Indeed. And how would banning oil alter that ? People will always need energy one way or the other, and governments / energy companies will always hold the cards. There's vested interests that will hold these powers in place.

These protests will amount to nothing (except people being inconvenienced). The protestors are just howling at the moon.
At least they’re doing something instead of faffing on the internet.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
hearing snippets that they are planning ‘the big one’ with 30000 activists in London and suggestions it may/will disrupt the London Marathon. Hadn’t better disrupt our Semi
Extinction Rebellion have apparently given assurances to organisers that they will not disrupt the marathon.

Just stop oil have not
“We will continue to disrupt sports and cultural events until the institutions join us in civil resistance against our genocidal government’s plans to licence new oil and gas. We expect that there will be lots of Just Stop Oil supporters at the London Marathon. If the polls are right then about 60 per cent of the London Marathon runners support our demand to stop new oil and gas”

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
At least they’re doing something instead of faffing on the internet.
Well they've certainly managed to piss a lot of people off, so job done I guess.

Would you still be such a fan of these Stop the Oil scamps if their antics resulted in stuffing up your afternoon this Sunday ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well they've certainly managed to piss a lot of people off, so job done I guess.

Would you still be such a fan of these Stop the Oil scamps if their antics resulted in stuffing up your afternoon this Sunday ?
I suspect the security at Wembley is better than the Crucible. JSO pick weaker targets.
Of course, they could abseil the arch, which would be interesting.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I suspect the security at Wembley is better than the Crucible. JSO pick weaker targets.
Of course, they could abseil the arch, which would be interesting.
Doesn't need to be at or near Wembley Stadium. They could easily bollocks up the road, rail or tube network, making it even more of a mission for everyone to get there.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A genuine question to nsc.

If an Amex game was abandoned after 30 minutes due to a climate protestor vandalising the pitch by a goal, would you:

a) Applaud the protestor and go home happy?
b) Chant “w@nker, w@nker” and be pissed off?
c) Be mildly disappointed, then downing warm beer in oil-based beakers on the concourses?

[With the score 1-0 to the Stripes].
I have never watched a premier league game at the Amex. Came from Australia last year and had tickets to the Palace game. Obviously this got cancelled due to rail strikes.

Hugely disappointed and gutted to miss out but ultimately when you live in a society shit happens and because people were striking and because morons can't go to football without fighting I missed out. What was more annoying was the stokes being called off because an old lady died and the game wasn't put back on.

So on reflection, none of your leading answers really hit the mark. Probably a further point say 'gutted/disappointed but understand that shit happens in life and I respect an individual's right to protest even if this time it is inconveniencing me.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Neanderthals were around Europe and Asia for about 350,000 years and survived many Ice ages and interglacial periods. They managed to cope with different temperatures, but ironically probably became extinct by being outcompeted by the emergence of modern humans.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I didn’t say I’m not bothered. I was always bothered. Instead, I’m now repeatedly saying, concerned or not, we can’t change it. So chill and embrace as an alternative more realistic approach without the worry and futility of fighting. You’re not in control. I’m not in control. Not even Xi’s in control. None of us are. That’s the problem. 8billion all rowing in different directions and speeds. Everything we tried has failed to even scratch the surface in terms of making a difference. I started following / studying Climate Change nearly 40years ago. All through my education, degree and all. All the flags and warning signs we missed or ran. Again and again and again. And continue to. As a species we won’t stop until nature therefore inevitably checks us. Billions will then die when ecosystems and civilisation collapses as per Sir DA’s warnings for decades now. That’s stark reality and inevitable now IMO albeit not likely for a few decades more (hopefully). By then you’ll be dead. I’ll be dead. Most users on the forum will be. The new generations being born now will curse us, and rightly so. But as said, they’d act no differently. Enjoy what’s left, easier than fighting Mother Nature’s retribution.

I suppose the best thing to be said about this is that your stance doesn't inconvenience any snooker tournaments.

So that's good.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I suppose the best thing to be said about this is that your stance doesn't inconvenience any snooker tournaments.

So that's good.
Ain’t that the truth! Go well BF, take care.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Neanderthals were around Europe and Asia for about 350,000 years and survived many Ice ages and interglacial periods. They managed to cope with different temperatures, but ironically probably became extinct by being outcompeted by the emergence of modern humans.

Why bring Leeds supporters into this serious discussion? :facepalm:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Doesn't need to be at or near Wembley Stadium. They could easily bollocks up the road, rail or tube network, making it even more of a mission for everyone to get there.
We would know by Saturday so check their website.

This weekend we know they’re with ER in Central London.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The two go hand in hand though.

Eating meat is repugnant and meat is a leading cause of climate change.

It is also the largest cause of animal abuse in the world.
So what should we do about it? Obviously some animals are more repugnant than others - badgers, for example, being among the worst examples, the way they unroll a hedgehog so they can eat its stomach without troubling to kill it first - but many, many animals carry out this barbaric practice of eating flesh, and few of them have our scruples about killing them first.

How can we stop the eating of meat, and what do we do with all the corpses when they aren't being eaten?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here