Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League games this weekend - POSTPONED

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’d imagine things will stop for the actual funeral. I certainly wouldn’t want to miss such a historic occasion. State funeral of longest serving monarch ever, and ever likely to be? Nah, I shall be watching the coverage and paying my respects with the majority of the country and no doubt billions worldwide.

Completely agree re the funeral, but grief and mourning is - or should be - a very personal thing, so to have an almost-enforced 10 days or more of event cancellations, wall-to-wall radio and TV tributes (already massively repetitive to the point news channels are virtually unwatchable) is a bit OTT in my opinion. The inconsistency is also a bit daft……why can I watch cricket or racing today but not football ?

Anyhow, I’m going to Bournemouth as planned anyway, just got an extra couple of hours to fill :shrug:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We are a nation state. We have national state events. This is THE biggest of our lifetimes, and will remain ever so. It’s right and proper therefore.

Put your deliveroo down, you can live without football for a weekend, somethings in life are more important and it’s not all about YOU, instead of bleating about trivial inconveniences, come together with your fellow nationals and pay tribute to a remarkable women and our sovereign.

For days on end, forget that crap.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Looks like next week will be affected due to the Police being needed elsewhere, makes the decision to cancel this week even more ridiculous.

I hope clubs pull out of League Cup now.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Looks like next week will be affected due to the Police being needed elsewhere, makes the decision to cancel this week even more ridiculous.

I hope clubs pull out of League Cup now.

It was and remains a ridiculous decision. People can show respect without having to stop everything and listening to the pathetic BBC.

By the time of the funeral people are going to sick to death of it.

Just proves all those in charge, be it government or EPL or any authority are so out of touch with the majority of the people

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
As you can see from portlock, embarrassing deference is alive and well in this country.

It's all bollocks of course - it's actually worse than it seems, all this OTT mourning. The woman herself would probably never have approved of this sickening cowtowing, and all these lickspittles trying to out-lickspittle each other

Agreed, but most of the embarrassing deference seems to have come from the football authorities. Given the ‘respect’ line being peddled by some it seems that the rugby and cricket authorities have stuck two fingers up at the Royal Family. I know we don’t exactly need more proof of how out of touch football authorities are with fans but by taking this weekends games away at the last moment they sure have provided it. On a personal note, this week has been the first full week of term. At times it has been tough and I’ve been to multiple meetings as well as teaching full on. I know everyone works hard but I was looking forward to the games this weekend. Football is important. Sounds frivolous but we need to choose our own escapes with the people we choose to share them with. Enforced mourning is really not for me. When you have faced real trauma with loved ones it can be difficult to switch on the tv and watch fake tears and words about someone none of us knew.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We are a nation state. We have national state events. This is THE biggest of our lifetimes, and will remain ever so. It’s right and proper therefore.

Put your deliveroo down, you can live without football for a weekend, somethings in life are more important and it’s not all about YOU, instead of bleating about trivial inconveniences, come together with your fellow nationals and pay tribute to a remarkable women and our sovereign.

Enforced mourning is probably one of the things that turns many republican.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Enforced mourning is probably one of the things that turns many republican.

Misunderstood. Not enforced, because impossible to ‘look sad’ if not feeling. Point making is majority including leadership want to mark and observe this huge moment in history and in that respect we all must abide eg football etc cancelled. Regardless. That’s what being part of a nation states entails whether you like it or not.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
For days on end, forget that crap.

Not sure they could do in just 24hrs. It’s going to take days simply because not everyone can “do” the same day eg travel to London to lay flowers.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Misunderstood. Not enforced, because impossible to ‘look sad’ if not feeling. Point making is majority including leadership want to mark and observe this huge moment in history and in that respect we all must abide eg football etc cancelled. Regardless. That’s what being part of a nation states entails whether you like it or not.

Whereas cricket rugby racing says what?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

It's not though, is it. Today I can watch a Test Match and a Grand Prix and I've just taken the dog for a lovely run and play round the local park. But I can't watch football and the nations' sporting kids can't run and play in a park with a ball.

That's nuts.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Not sure they could do in just 24hrs. It’s going to take days simply because not everyone can “do” the same day eg travel to London to lay flowers.

The earliest I can get to London to lay flowers is next Summer and only if I stagger the trip over a few days as I can’t really travel long distances. That’s what being in a nation state is really like. We don’t all live down the road from the Smoke. If this is the criteria for length of mourning then presumably this will be taken into account ?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

I’ve certainly felt sad since Thursday. Nothing to do with the queen though.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Completely agree re the funeral, but grief and mourning is - or should be - a very personal thing, so to have an almost-enforced 10 days or more of event cancellations, wall-to-wall radio and TV tributes (already massively repetitive to the point news channels are virtually unwatchable) is a bit OTT in my opinion. The inconsistency is also a bit daft……why can I watch cricket or racing today but not football ?

Anyhow, I’m going to Bournemouth as planned anyway, just got an extra couple of hours to fill :shrug:

News channels are pretty depressing anyway. Whatever the event is they seem to focus on that one theme these days ... that's the problem with 24 news channels! I hardly watch the news any more ... briefly with my first coffee in the morning and then maybe early evening.

Anyway ... enjoy Bournemouth ... the town of my birth :thumbsup:

I couldn't get a ticket for today's game so I got one for Worthing v Tonbridge ... which has also been called off. So once I've finished my second coffee I'll be heading out on a bike ride!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It's being 'enforced' on the football community but seemingly hardly anyone else (except TV watchers and radio listeners perhaps), hence the counters to your continued defence of it on a football forum. I'm sure the respect shown at the test match today will be total and appropriate - and it's a good opportunity for the sport to demonstrate that respect. Football should have done the same (rather than us all going through it many days after the event like we'll now have to)

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
It's being 'enforced' on the football community but seemingly hardly anyone else (except TV watchers and radio listeners perhaps), hence the counters to your continued defence of it on a football forum. I'm sure the respect shown at the test match today will be total and appropriate - and it's a good opportunity for the sport to demonstrate that respect. Football should have done the same (rather than us all going through it many days after the event like we'll now have to)

Some good points about football being cancelled also because William is FA head. Solidarity with. Pedantic I know, but football cancelled self ie enforced self. Autonomous decision therefore.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The earliest I can get to London to lay flowers is next Summer and only if I stagger the trip over a few days as I can’t really travel long distances. That’s what being in a nation state is really like. We don’t all live down the road from the Smoke. If this is the criteria for length of mourning then presumably this will be taken into account ?

Silly billy. It’s not all about you.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some good points about football being cancelled also because William is FA head. Solidarity with. Pedantic I know, but football cancelled self ie enforced self. Autonomous decision therefore.

We all know it was autonomous - but many of us don't agree with it, and most other sports haven't followed. The Queen was a patron and life member of the MCC (as was Prince Philip)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
https://theathletic.com/3580783/2022/09/10/football-matches-postponed-premier-league/

Oliver Kay gets it spot on in The Athletic. As he quotes Jack Pitt-Brook, this is self flagellation from football.

It’s nonsense, totally unnecessary and out of touch with the national mood.

I’m pleased to see the pitches opposite me full of kids playing football together even though they’re not organised matches. I’m taking mine over in a bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here