Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League games this weekend - POSTPONED

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not sure the Premier League/EFL could win on this one. As usual, the Government passed the buck so they couldn't take the blame, whatever the reaction.

If games had gone ahead, there'd have been supposed "outrage" over the lack of respect, whipped up by those who see football fans as a different breed from the nice people that follow other sports.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not sure the Premier League/EFL could win on this one. As usual, the Government passed the buck so they couldn't take the blame, whatever the reaction.

If games had gone ahead, there'd have been supposed "outrage" over the lack of respect, whipped up by those who see football fans as a different breed from the nice people that follow other sports.

But the toffs have got theirs going ahead

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Watching the crowd at the Oval and hearing the anthem just reinforces my view that all sport should have been allowed to continue this weekend …an opportunity where people could have come together and paid their respects …a release of emotion and enjoy sport, a freedom to do so that we have had during her reign.
Instead it seems several pious presenters repeat ad nauseam over cancelling football for example was the right thing to do ….hmm

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
How do you think Liverpool v Wolves would have gone? Or Celtic v Livingston?

Badly is the answer but that's not a reason to stop it and we will have to navigate it at some point. The media could choose to report for any number of grounds where respect was shown rather than the inevitable shit show at Scouse HQ which everyone will wait for and spit feathers at.

Its also bonkers to cancel grass roots football but I won't keep banging on about that. I've posted enough on the topic

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
How do you think Liverpool v Wolves would have gone? Or Celtic v Livingston?

If it was going to be bad is it going to be any different next week or the one after? It'll be worse because they'll be more pissed off about the Football stopping and extra week or so of stuff they don't agree with

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
As much I’d disagree with anything they did, it’s their freedom of speech to do so

And the Premier League clearly decided that it didn't want to facilitate it, and allow it to be broadcast around the world.

If it was going to be bad is it going to be any different next week or the one after?

When the nation is not in a period of mourning, you mean?

Liverpool fans will get to boo publicly on Tuesday. That will be on UEFA's heads, I guess.

I imagine Potter's Chelsea v Liverpool next weekend will be cancelled - along with other London games - due to police logistics.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
And the Premier League clearly decided that it didn't want to facilitate it, and allow it to be broadcast around the world.

When the nation is not in a period of mourning, you mean?

Liverpool fans will get to boo publicly on Tuesday. That will be on UEFA's heads, I guess.

I imagine Potter's Chelsea v Liverpool next weekend will be cancelled - along with other London games - due to police logistics.

Ok so your logic is it'll ok if they boo or are disrespectful then because it won't be the period of mourning?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Ok so your logic is it'll ok if they boo or are disrespectful then because it won't be the period of mourning?

I'm saying the Premier League doesn't want to do anything to faciliate or amplify disrespect from football fans during the national period of mourning.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
I watched a programme on Operation ‘London Bridge’ a few years ago I’m sure all sporting events are to be cancelled during the D+9 days period also limited or no comedy on BBC (definitely no satire), radio music playlists much subdued etc

Hasn't stopped Dave broadcasting back progs from "Mock The Week", but strangely on Thursday night there were no ad breaks in between, the screen just had a saver for the space they took up. Weird.

I suspect a lot of old footage from that show regarding Prince Harry's parentage has been wiped though...:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here