Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League games this weekend - POSTPONED

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I'm saying the Premier League doesn't want to do anything to faciliate or amplify disrespect from football fans during the national period of mourning.

I agree, pretty confident of what the response would have been at Anfield based on past form but it’s their right, if anything it shows them up to a wider audience if it was adverse

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
https://theathletic.com/3580783/2022/09/10/football-matches-postponed-premier-league/

Oliver Kay gets it spot on in The Athletic. As he quotes Jack Pitt-Brook, this is self flagellation from football.

It’s nonsense, totally unnecessary and out of touch with the national mood.
Can't read The Athletic article, but certainly agree that it's out of touch with the NSC mood.

I’m pleased to see the pitches opposite me full of kids playing football together even though they’re not organised matches. I’m taking mine over in a bit.
Good. Quite right too, and good for them. The football moratorium came far too far down the pyramid - grass roots football should not have been stopped.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
https://theathletic.com/3580783/2022/09/10/football-matches-postponed-premier-league/

Oliver Kay gets it spot on in The Athletic. As he quotes Jack Pitt-Brook, this is self flagellation from football.

It’s nonsense, totally unnecessary and out of touch with the national mood.

I’m pleased to see the pitches opposite me full of kids playing football together even though they’re not organised matches. I’m taking mine over in a bit.

Five we pause, clap and applaud many more things I think the death of our head of state is a bit different and deserves marking differently

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
[Tweet]1568539647231332352[/Tweet]

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Five we pause, clap and applaud many more things I think the death of our head of state is a bit different and deserves marking differently

Lots of cheering, drinking and enjoyable play as England take wickets at the Oval.:thumbsup:

edit SA all out, great stuff. Special days play so far.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thought that was pretty awful, TBH. Boy, that voice grated right through me!

The opera version isn't for everyone, I must admit. I think it's more hearing the words 'King'. It was noticeable no-one in the crowd sang until she had first used the new pronoun.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The people making the decision aren’t the ones who have bought tickets, paid for transport, accommodation and planned their weekends at the match.

The people making the decision are however conscious of upsetting the Daily Mail editorial and thinking what is best in terms of getting an OBE or other gong in terms of impressing the establishment.

Why under 10’s could not play football matches yesterday and today is ludicrous.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
As it stands sounds like London games off , rest on next weekend.

Really hope not as fascinated to see Chelsea v Liverpool

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
As it stands sounds like London games off , rest on next weekend.

Really hope not as fascinated to see Chelsea v Liverpool

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

It would be good for that to go ahead before Potter's had much time to work with the players.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
How do you think Liverpool v Wolves would have gone? Or Celtic v Livingston?

Turned the atmosphere microphones off and no one would be the wiser. A 2 minutes silence could have been just that.

Besides, the anti scouse Brigade on here have whipped up the usual moral outrage through idle speculation about something that probably would not have happened.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Why under 10’s could not play football matches yesterday and today is ludicrous.

Now instead of holding a 2 minute silence before games and giving the kids a chance to reflect on the loss of the Monarch the kids will be associating her death with a free day off and the generation robbed of their education through disruption worse than even during WW2 will loose another day at school.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
No.
Misguided AND unpopular.
Quite pathetic decision by football’s governing bodies.

The FA decision to stop kids/grassroots football was bizarre.

But the Premier League? It's run by 20 clubs, including ours. Why not ask Paul Barber? Not sure he could/would be completely honest but...

I'm certain they wanted to avoid negative headlines around the world. Would be damaging for English football and the Premier League brand.

They probably didn't want to lose/refund money either. Clubs would have been expected to pull advertising (as they did at The Oval).

Reputation and money are very high up the PL's list of priorities...

Turned the atmosphere microphones off and no one would be the wiser. A 2 minutes silence could have been just that.

It's 2022. The age of social media. The backlash over a cover-up would be even bigger than the backlash over boos!

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Now instead of holding a 2 minute silence before games and giving the kids a chance to reflect on the loss of the Monarch the kids will be associating her death with a free day off and the generation robbed of their education through disruption worse than even during WW2 will loose another day at school.

Can't decide if your schools are really good or really shit if missing one day of school means they're "robbed of their education".

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Can't decide if your schools are really good or really shit if missing one day of school means they're "robbed of their education".

I thought you were so immersed in your devotion to potters career that you may have heard it was disrupted by Covid.
But not as much as our Schools.
Now piss off to Chelsea.net

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here