Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League games this weekend - POSTPONED

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
But your post was"don't you know what happened last time a monarch died ?"and the answer appears to be Football continued.

It doesn't appear to be stipulated in the plan as it's up to each sports body but if it was why not announce last night?

To be fair George VI died so suddenly they probably didn’t have a plan, so it was very much trial and error which is why they came up with London Bridge in the early 60’s.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The fact that it seems football is highlighted as inappropriate during this period of mourning shows that The Establishment still considers football fans as scum / not to be trusted.

Of course. Also, pigs can’t look upwards.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Did the Queen explicitly say 'you'll need to have a proper dull time when I die or I won't feel respected' or is this phenomenon something that royalists are making up?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Did the Queen explicitly say 'you'll need to have a proper dull time when I die or I won't feel respected' or is this phenomenon something that royalists are making up?
As you can see from portlock, embarrassing deference is alive and well in this country.

It's all bollocks of course - it's actually worse than it seems, all this OTT mourning. The woman herself would probably never have approved of this sickening cowtowing, and all these lickspittles trying to out-lickspittle each other

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As you can see from portlock, embarrassing deference is alive and well in this country.

It's all bollocks of course - it's actually worse than it seems, all this OTT mourning. The woman herself would probably never have approved of this sickening cowtowing, and all these lickspittles trying to out-lickspittle each other

All sounds disgusting (but true)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Yeah. Obviously not seen as much of her as you English people but she always struck me as a pretty cool lady, not overly sentimental or bombastic.

Not seen one of those in the "lets all sit home alone and watch BBC because that's the only way to show respect" giving a proper argument for why that would be the right way of treating the situation. A minute or two of silence before playing the games in the home of football would have been so much more powerful than people sitting at home and tweeting about how they sit at home "paying their respects".

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
We are a nation state. We have national state events. This is THE biggest of our lifetimes, and will remain ever so. It’s right and proper therefore.

Put your deliveroo down, you can live without football for a weekend, somethings in life are more important and it’s not all about YOU, instead of bleating about trivial inconveniences, come together with your fellow nationals and pay tribute to a remarkable women and our sovereign.

The Queen may be dead but we sure have a King of Trolls here. :rolleyes:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Speak for yourself. I wouldn’t bow for anyone.

Who said anything about bowing?. I was just stating, like it or not, you’re part of a Nation and the Nation has decided to commemorate her life and pay it’s respects in the very many ways it is now doing. Including cancellation of football games. You’ve got no say in that, you will have to abide by that. Like or not. I happen to think it’s a wonderful gesture for such a wonderful Monarch. You don’t. Fair enough. But equally, you must ‘suck it up’ because you’re just a peasant like the rest of us! Same as paying taxes :)

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The Queen may be dead but we sure have a King of Trolls here. :rolleyes:

Just telling it like it is. Occasionally it’s good to conform and come together instead of rallying against everything just because…

A few things should unite, and if you can’t pay respects to the Queen regardless then you’re probably lacking a bit of respect for yourself and the world in general.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
We are a nation state. We have national state events. This is THE biggest of our lifetimes, and will remain ever so. It’s right and proper therefore.

Put your deliveroo down, you can live without football for a weekend, somethings in life are more important and it’s not all about YOU, instead of bleating about trivial inconveniences, come together with your fellow nationals and pay tribute to a remarkable women and our sovereign.

Full respect to the Queen of course, but i beg to differ, which is my opinion, just like your statement is your opinion.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

Always an intelligent contribution, that’s why we love you Simmeringster! :)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Who said anything about bowing?. I was just stating, like it or not, you’re part of a Nation and the Nation has decided to commemorate her life and pay it’s respects in the very many ways it is now doing. Including cancellation of football games. You’ve got no say in that, you will have to abide by that. Like or not. I happen to think it’s a wonderful gesture for such a wonderful Monarch. You don’t. Fair enough. But equally, you must ‘suck it up’ because you’re just a peasant like the rest of us! Same as paying taxes :)

It’s OK, the cricket is on so we can watch that instead.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Full respect to the Queen of course, but i beg to differ, which is my opinion, just like your statement is your opinion.

What occasion as a Nation, has been bigger during last 70 years out of interest? I can think of none. State funerals are usually the biggest.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
It’s OK, the cricket is on so we can watch that instead.

I’d imagine things will stop for the actual funeral. I certainly wouldn’t want to miss such a historic occasion. State funeral of longest serving monarch ever, and ever likely to be? Nah, I shall be watching the coverage and paying my respects with the majority of the country and no doubt billions worldwide.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Just telling it like it is. Occasionally it’s good to conform and come together instead of rallying against everything just because…

A few things should unite, and if you can’t pay respects to the Queen regardless then you’re probably lacking a bit of respect for yourself and the world in general.

As other have pointed out, we can effectively pay our respects by spectating and participating in our sporting events, as we do with Remembrance events each year. Cancelling football at all levels is a politically driven decision. Shame.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013

That statement is pretty much a good reason for ending a hereditary monarchy in 2022

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
That statement is pretty much a good reason for ending a hereditary monarchy in 2022

I’m teasing you. Because your original remarks struck me as a bit self centric and we live in this era of selfish rather than selfless behaviours. The Queen epitomised the latter, a quality more of us should aspire to IMO. I also believe that an alternative Republican system, which fortunately will never happen in my lifetime, if ever it does, would be far worse. Examples everywhere. Where’s we’ve been stable for centuries. It’s why all the crooks launder their money here…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here