Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League games this weekend - POSTPONED

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I assume you've emailed Bozza and asked him to close NSC as a mark of respect too?

Is it a professional sporting event then?

I thought it was a forum with the option of posting, perhaps the fact I am makes me hypocritical, which would be a more relevant point…..

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think you're right about a generational split on this - but in some way the younger ones who are indignant that football has been called off are partly to blame. The attitude to death has changed, people have become more needy to be seen to mourn, buy vast quantities of flowers and teddy bears to leave on the streets. When the King died, football wasn't cancelled; respects were paid - a minutes silence, and the fans sang 'Abide with me' and the National Anthem (properly!)
Bring on a needier generation and forward to the death of Diana; football was called off then. Was there the same outpouring of outrage about no football then? Not the same amount of social media, so probably not. Nonetheless, because of publc pressure, a lot of things happened when Diana died. This weekend's cancellations are a legacy of that.
Besides, fans these days probably don't know the words to the National Anthem, let alone 'Abide with me'! - and would probably have to have a minutes applause because a few low-lifes wouldn't respect a minute's silence either.

Liverpool and Newcastle was called off, it was a Sunday and the other games had already been played. The FL moved games the following week to avoid clashing with the funeral and the PL was on a break as it was an international weekend. I think the England team played 10 days after her death. So very different circumstances and no we have the prospect of two weekends without the PL and then a confounded pointless international weekend.

I wish to state that I do respect and miss the Queen but the level of things being cancelled is imo over the top.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Not sure if this has already been mentioned elsewhere. Apologies if so.

I gather the rail strikes have been cancelled in light of the Queen’s death. Does this mean our Palace fixture might be resurrected for the 17th? I assume that once a match is stood down it’s a done deal.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Yep, just been told by the chairman of the club I coach kids for that the games are likely to be cancelled. It's a nonsense. We'll just be taking our kids to play football on the now empty pitches anyway.

It's the last weekend of the cricket season. We have an U12's final on Sunday and the pitch due to be reseeded the following week. The kids have been working all summer towards this point. Also, our 2nd's have a winner takes all promotion clash.

It's not as simple as "Ah, well these can be replayed"

Can't speak for other sports but I received an email from the ECB at 3pm today as follows:

Hi,

Cricket will resume on Saturday to pay tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and honour her remarkable life and service.

Following the cancellation of Friday’s cricket fixtures as a mark of respect on announcement of her death, the England and Wales Cricket Board can confirm that play will resume from Saturday including international, domestic, and recreational fixtures. The decision has been taken after consultation with DCMS and in line with Official National Mourning guidance.

This means the Men’s Test match between England and South Africa will begin at The Oval and the Women’s IT20 match between England and India will also go ahead at the Riverside in Durham. The scheduled match between England and Sri Lanka Men’s U19 along with recreational cricket fixtures will also take place as planned.

As a mark of respect to The Queen, your club may want to observe a minute’s silence before your games; players, coaches and volunteers may wear black armbands, and if you have the facilities, your club could play the national anthem.

England & Wales Cricket Board, Lord's Cricket Ground, London, NW8 8QZ

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure if this has already been mentioned elsewhere. Apologies if so.

I gather the rail strikes have been cancelled in light of the Queen’s death. Does this mean our Palace fixture might be resurrected for the 17th? I assume that once a match is stood down it’s a done deal.

Not seen anything but I’d assumed the same - decision already made and won’t be changed.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
From ParkRunUK:
"It was with great sadness that we heard, yesterday evening, that Her Majesty The Queen had passed away. Around the world there are parkrun communities that will be in mourning, and many will be looking to pay their respects.
As local communities, where people come together to be active, outdoors, and social, we believe that parkrun events can play an important role in helping us get through challenging times, and as such we look to keep them open wherever possible.
As things stand, therefore, we will not be asking any 5k or junior parkrun events to cancel this weekend. However, each individual parkrun event should feel comfortable paying their respects in the way they see fit."

From England Rugby:
"Rugby, at its heart, is about community and bringing people together, in good times and in sad. Rugby clubs are a source of strength and support during times of uncertainty, and we hope that by enabling games and other rugby activity to go ahead this weekend, with families and friends congregating it will help us all to unite at this time of national mourning."

Entirely sensible. So why is football any different, especially at grassroots level?
Are you for real ?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is it a professional sporting event then?

I thought it was a forum with the option of posting, perhaps the fact I am makes me hypocritical, which would be a more relevant point…..

This weekend other than watching football, I can play golf, squash, tennis, watch cricket, horse racing, go to the cinema, watch a gig, have a meal out…..but my 12 year old son can’t play his football match. It is ridiculous.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
This weekend other than watching football, I can play golf, squash, tennis, watch cricket, horse racing, go to the cinema, watch a gig, have a meal out…..but my 12 year old son can’t play his football match. It is ridiculous.

They’ve also been forced to cancel an international wheelchair tournement that was taking place in Nottingham. So much disruption and very little reasonable justification. Close down corgi walking or horse racing but why wheelchair football?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Well - it's an opportunity to watch some League of Ireland soccer - Derry against Bohs would be a good starter this evening.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Sorry Bold Seagull, not going to agree.

I call it appropriate respect for our greatest monarch.

I won’t post on this thread anymore, as I have nothing more to add, but as always, whilst we don’t agree, I respect yours and others opinions on this.

As you may have worked out I’m a passionate royalist 😃

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Same for my 12 year old son's match. A minute's silence, in his squad group before the match could have left a lasting memory for him (repeated for kids all across the country). He's not even allowed to train instead as the council have closed the rec. So, instead, he'll be stuck gaming, or we'll find something else for him. He sure isn't going to sit in front of the TV for hours, watching reran royal documentaries and reflecting on death.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
As a Royalist I think it's ridiculous. If you want to grieve feel free to get on with whatever you think appropriate. The rest can do what they wish, legally!, everyone's going to give up ALL pleasures this week end!! Thought not :eek:}

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
We are a nation state. We have national state events. This is THE biggest of our lifetimes, and will remain ever so. It’s right and proper therefore.

Put your deliveroo down, you can live without football for a weekend, somethings in life are more important and it’s not all about YOU, instead of bleating about trivial inconveniences, come together with your fellow nationals and pay tribute to a remarkable women and our sovereign.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry Bold Seagull, not going to agree.

I call it appropriate respect for our greatest monarch.

I won’t post on this thread anymore, as I have nothing more to add, but as always, whilst we don’t agree, I respect yours and others opinions on this.

As you may have worked out I’m a passionate royalist 😃

I’m not looking to have a dig at you personally, or any royalists. I just don’t get that this weekend I can do pretty much whatever I want but kids can’t play football. I don’t understand how this is anything to do with respect when everything else is available. Apologies I know you’re ducking out, don’t want a sour note as always like your posts.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
We are a nation state. We have national state events. This is THE biggest of our lifetimes, and will remain ever so. It’s right and proper therefore.

Put your deliveroo down, you can live without football for a weekend, somethings in life are more important and it’s not all about YOU, instead of bleating about trivial inconveniences, come together with your fellow nationals and pay tribute to a remarkable women and our sovereign.

I’ll pass thanks.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The Queen would have wanted him to play football this weekend...

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The fact that it seems football is highlighted as inappropriate during this period of mourning shows that The Establishment still considers football fans as scum / not to be trusted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here