Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He really isn’t.

may have missed the point, the clubs run the PL. the story would appear to be media speculation, a journo drummed up the neutral venue idea, Brighton as one of the venues, and everyone went with it to fill the Saturday sports slot.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
IF they are going to play - which I believe they shouldnt - why do it in some empty arena? They should play in parks or rural pitchesr or whatever. It would be more and less weird at the same time.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Yes.

This is where Brighton - Arsenal should be played, if at all.

Hans-van-der-Meer-Dmitriy-Litvinov-column-254.jpg

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
IF they are going to play - which I believe they shouldnt - why do it in some empty arena? They should play in parks or rural pitchesr or whatever. It would be more and less weird at the same time.

I like this idea! The whole thing will be surreal anyway so playing in a non-league ground or a council stadium won't make it any more surreal

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
So you wouldn't want to watch it on TV.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ground, park, beach, Potters backyard.. anything goes, all preferable above giant empty arenas.

It's up there with some of Donald Trump’s musings as far as stupid ideas go. Thousands of fans will turn up to watch unless you have matches in a stadium where they can be locked out and not be able to actually see the action.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's up there with some of Donald Trump’s musings as far as stupid ideas go. Thousands of fans will turn up to watch unless you have matches in a stadium where they can be locked out and not be able to actually see the action.

Doubt they would.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Doubt they would.

I doubt that too, but a large gathering of Liverpool fans at Anfield or somewhere in Liverpool when they win the league if it did happen is inevitable. The vast majority of Liverpool fans obviously wouldn't, but it would only take say 1k idiots. For that reason alone this shouldn't happen!

Edit-just realised what you were doubting. Playing in parks would definitely not be a sensible thing to do! Obviously would have go be behind closed doors.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It occurs to me that the only person in the world who can currently get live sport on is Dana White of the UFC. Allegedly happening next Saturday. Ergo all the finishing positions should be worked out by the managers having an old school UFC tournament ..........................feck we are going down!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was very clear that it was 'the idiots' running the Premier league. There are plenty of them in the Premier League.

Incidentally, do you have to have an opinion on everything on Northstandchat...??????

You were the poster who when I mentioned that I was concerned about my daughter who is a senior nurse in A & E, told me that nursing staff were not in danger from the corona virus....you knew everything again, of course because a couple of members of your family worked somewhere in a hospital.

I think it is over 100 NHS staff who have died now.

I'll be glad when you go back to work.

That's NSC, it's full of people like you and I who have opinions and real stories, which others don't like. Sadly for you, I'm going nowhere.

I too have immediate family, I with one right now, who work at Worthing and Brighton's main hospitals. Seconded to work on covid19 wards, the patients never came. If you don't like that story, then there are other regular posters on NSC who have nursing daughters with exactly the same story to tell. My NHS family members had slight trepidation going into work the very first time, but that was that. Highly impressed with covid19 preparation of the hospitals, the training and equipment. Their opinion carries as much weight as your family's experience, you hold no monopoly on setting the NSC narrative on this subject.

You mention the NHS deaths, we're all sad about their loss of life and feel for their loved ones left behind. You'll struggle to find anyone feeling differently.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
From the BBC online news

Time is running out for European leagues to decide whether to resume their respective competitions, and that includes the Bundesliga.

The German league has been given a boost by Horst Seehofer, the country's interior minister, who told Bild am Sonntag that a plan put forward for Bundesliga matches to be played behind closed doors was plausible.

However, he said if there was a coronavirus case at a club then that club, and maybe the team they played against, would have to be quarantined for two weeks.

The interview with Seehofer was carried out before news was released of three members of FC Cologne testing positive.

The Bundesliga wants to restart in mid-May, and a government meeting on Wednesday should provide further clarity.

Uefa, European football's governing body, has given leagues a 25 May deadline to declare their intent.

I cannot see this being acceptable to the players union it's putting players, managment, physiotherapists, tv crews, etc in unnecessary dangers for a job role that could not be described as essential work.

What insurance would pay out should a player were to catch the virus while playing and later pass away

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
From the BBC online news

Time is running out for European leagues to decide whether to resume their respective competitions, and that includes the Bundesliga.

The German league has been given a boost by Horst Seehofer, the country's interior minister, who told Bild am Sonntag that a plan put forward for Bundesliga matches to be played behind closed doors was plausible.

However, he said if there was a coronavirus case at a club then that club, and maybe the team they played against, would have to be quarantined for two weeks.

The interview with Seehofer was carried out before news was released of three members of FC Cologne testing positive.

The Bundesliga wants to restart in mid-May, and a government meeting on Wednesday should provide further clarity.

Uefa, European football's governing body, has given leagues a 25 May deadline to declare their intent.

I cannot see this being acceptable to the players union it's putting players, managment, physiotherapists, tv crews, etc in unnecessary dangers for a job role that could not be described as essential work.

What insurance would pay out should a player were to catch the virus while playing and later pass away

The Football Association for that league would be accountable for allowing matches to recommence. High stakes here

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here