Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's more basic than that - this government has made such a mess of governing that they are desperate for a distraction.

They think that the British public are thickos and that they'll be even more forgiving of their incompetence if sporting events re start.

The tragedy is that they are correct. The only thing they've got right is an appreciation of how stupid and gullible the public are.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

It’s easy to snipe from the sidelines without any facts.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Prem/FL plan to finish season behind closed doors in JULY

It's more basic than that - this government has made such a mess of governing that they are desperate for a distraction.

They think that the British public are thickos and that they'll be even more forgiving of their incompetence if sporting events re start.

The tragedy is that they are correct. The only thing they've got right is an appreciation of how stupid and gullible the public are.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I’m sorry but yet again another topic that has somehow become political.

Let’s use Sunderland A.F.C. as an example, to them football is embedded into their DNA as discussing favourite micro brewed beers, best ways to cook quinoa and our favourite method of bbqing is to us!

If Sunderland were to move 70 miles away to play their home games for a couple of seasons do you think they’d average 2,500 as a home gate?

Football is a religion to many folk across this country and to suggest they are somehow thick is to be frank vile.

Take your political leanings to the millions of other threads that you can dribble over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m sorry but yet again another topic that has somehow become political.

Let’s use Sunderland A.F.C. as an example, to them football is embedded into their DNA as discussing favourite micro brewed beers, best ways to cook quinoa and our favourite method of bbqing is to us!

If Sunderland were to move 70 miles away to play their home games for a couple of seasons do you think they’d average 2,500 as a home gate?

Football is a religion to many folk across this country and to suggest they are somehow thick is to be frank vile.

Take your political leanings to the millions of other threads that you can dribble over.

Football is a religion to many...that’s quite a sweeping and patronising generalisation in my opinion.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Not read through this thread so apologies if I’m repeating points.
I cannot see the self interest of a pressure group, EPL, winning the argument to be a special case to break the mould. It’s purely being driven by monetary considerations and all the claptrap about integrity of the competition will be seen as nonsense.
The players don’t want it, the public doesn’t, whatever the EPL spin.
The resources that would need to be diverted to cope with the running of this would be politically unacceptable, and the general public would be outraged, in particular the amount of testing involved and emergency services needed to support the running of games.
The EPL is misguided in its attempts to try and portray this as a step to normality.
There are more important things to get right before this. The EPL is revealing, as if people did not already know, its true face, that of money and greed. The EPL ,and the associated football media that it sustains, is completely out of touch with the general public on this matter.
It’s putting me off football, God knows how it’s portraying itself to a more cynical general public that is not invested in football.

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Not read through this thread so apologies if I’m repeating points.
I cannot see the self interest of a pressure group, EPL, winning the argument to be a special case to break the mould. It’s purely being driven by monetary considerations and all the claptrap about integrity of the completion will be seen as nonsense.
The players don’t want it, the public doesn’t, whatever the EPL spin.
The resources that would need to be diverted to cope with the running of this would be politically unacceptable, and the general public would be outraged, in particular the amount of testing involved and emergency services needed to support the running of games.
The EPL is misguided in its attempts to try and portray this as a step to normality.
There are more important things to get right before this. The EPL is revealing, as if people did not already know, its true face, that of money and greed. The EPL ,and the associated football media that it sustains, is completely out of touch with the general public on this matter.
It’s putting me off football, God knows how it’s portraying itself to a more cynical general public that is not invested in football.

Really couldn't have put it better myself, and I have tried on several occasions already on this thread!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Where is the voice of the ordinary fan in this debate? All I see is the EPL, the Government and the media desperate to start footie again. I'm assuming the average Albion fan is pretty much against it, possibly through self-interest (we don't get relegated), but more likely because the concept is pretty obscene when hundreds are dying every day, and the risks are huge. I wonder if other clubs' fans are equally against a re-start (with the obvious exception of Liverpool)? It would be handy if a journalist or government minister actually bothered to talk to every day fans.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Prem/FL plan to finish season behind closed doors in JULY

Where is the voice of the ordinary fan in this debate? All I see is the EPL, the Government and the media desperate to start footie again. I'm assuming the average Albion fan is pretty much against it, possibly through self-interest (we don't get relegated), but more likely because the concept is pretty obscene when hundreds are dying every day, and the risks are huge. I wonder if other clubs' fans are equally against a re-start (with the obvious exception of Liverpool)? It would be handy if a journalist or government minister actually bothered to talk to every day fans.

If they did ask the fans of football clubs I think it’ll come out 52% in favour of finishing the season.....

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If things DO resume, clearly there is a huge risk that after a few games the whole thing gets called off again. Then what happens? Do they void the season, or do they calculate things on a points/game basis at the point it stops again? I'd be particularly nervous about the latter scenario, given the next few fixtures (apart from Norwich, we are theoretically due to play Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Man city in our next 5 games - all of those (except Norwich) were due to be at home. In addition to losing the advantage of a home crowd (which would be bad enough under a "behind closed doors"" scenario), it now seems we will also lose the advantage of The Amex, by having to play them at a neutral ground).

I'm sure TB and GP are VERY aware of the risks of the plan that is being hatched, and I very much hope that we come out strongly against it. And soon!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If they did ask the fans of football clubs I think it’ll come out 52% in favour of finishing the season.....

Agreed. After all, we’ve clearly established that is the proportion of the population, easily lured into supporting populist decisions without any regard for the details or consequences.

:thumbsup:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Why do people keep bringing up points per game as a way of solving the current problem. It would change no meaningful positions in the top 3 leagues, it would however make Swindon champions of League Two, over Crewe, but with the top 5 separated by just 5 poins with 9 or 10 games to go (a fifth of the season), it would be incredibly unfair on the chasing pack!

Void the season and be done with it, allow teams to plan for the future, whatever that may be...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here