Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
If things DO resume, clearly there is a huge risk that after a few games the whole thing gets called off again. Then what happens? Do they void the season, or do they calculate things on a points/game basis at the point it stops again? I'd be particularly nervous about the latter scenario, given the next few fixtures (apart from Norwich, we are theoretically due to play Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Man city in our next 5 games - all of those (except Norwich) were due to be at home. In addition to losing the advantage of a home crowd (which would be bad enough under a "behind closed doors"" scenario), it now seems we will also lose the advantage of The Amex, by having to play them at a neutral ground).

I'm sure TB and GP are VERY aware of the risks of the plan that is being hatched, and I very much hope that we come out strongly against it. And soon!!!

They will no doubt be watching what happens elsewhere as this as I'm sure you have seen the inevitable has now happened in Germany to FC Cologne with 3 of their squad getting infected. Presumably (even though they had only resumed training and not matches) they will have to go into isolation for a 2 or 3 weeks and their season will likely be delayed further.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not read through this thread so apologies if I’m repeating points.
I cannot see the self interest of a pressure group, EPL, winning the argument to be a special case to break the mould. It’s purely being driven by monetary considerations and all the claptrap about integrity of the competition will be seen as nonsense.
The players don’t want it, the public doesn’t, whatever the EPL spin.
The resources that would need to be diverted to cope with the running of this would be politically unacceptable, and the general public would be outraged, in particular the amount of testing involved and emergency services needed to support the running of games.
The EPL is misguided in its attempts to try and portray this as a step to normality.
There are more important things to get right before this. The EPL is revealing, as if people did not already know, its true face, that of money and greed. The EPL ,and the associated football media that it sustains, is completely out of touch with the general public on this matter.
It’s putting me off football, God knows how it’s portraying itself to a more cynical general public that is not invested in football.

This.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I have but that is just one club. There will be a few others, like Newcastle, but that doesn't mean the majority of fans treat it like a religion.

Liverpool, Everton, both Mancs, Wolves, Sheffield, Norwich, Villa are all clubs I believe have fans who consider football to be almost a religious offering like Sunderland.

I do suspect this is a north south thing going on though.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If things DO resume, clearly there is a huge risk that after a few games the whole thing gets called off again. Then what happens? Do they void the season, or do they calculate things on a points/game basis at the point it stops again? I'd be particularly nervous about the latter scenario, given the next few fixtures (apart from Norwich, we are theoretically due to play Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Man city in our next 5 games - all of those (except Norwich) were due to be at home. In addition to losing the advantage of a home crowd (which would be bad enough under a "behind closed doors"" scenario), it now seems we will also lose the advantage of The Amex, by having to play them at a neutral ground).

I'm sure TB and GP are VERY aware of the risks of the plan that is being hatched, and I very much hope that we come out strongly against it. And soon!!!

This is repeating a post I made a week or so ago, but according to The Times, three ways of arriving at a final table (without actually playing the matches) exist...

1. Average points per game played to date - the effect would be to move Arsenal and Sheff Utd above Wolves and Spurs.
2. Take into account only the first half of the season's results. (The least fair I think.)
3. Develop as mathematically sound as possible way of predicting the results of the remaining 92 matches.

Number 3 was described in some depth but to my surprise it did not result in the Albion being relegated.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Liverpool, Everton, both Mancs, Wolves, Sheffield, Norwich, Villa are all clubs I believe have fans who consider football to be almost a religious offering like Sunderland.

And yet you mention Norwich (?) and Wolves but not Leeds. As much as WE feel their fans are delusional and to be derided, they have got a religious style fan base...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Norwich?

Do behave :lolol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s a shame to ruin one of the few football threads on here these days. I see someone resurrected the Brexit thread if you want to throw insults.

It thought it was a good point, well made, by [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s a shame to ruin one of the few football threads on here these days. I see someone resurrected the Brexit thread if you want to throw insults.

It's a shame you don't understand CONTEXT. Read what he was replying to. Then try and understand it.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
From reading various news feeds to me it appears no one has got a clue of future events of football.

Is it pure guesswork from the media? Have the football authorities actually come up with a plan? Is the decision going to be made by the Government?

Everything appears to be so conflicting. Watching Football Focus this afternoon Murray seemed to think the whole thing is laughable, how are players going to get match fit or prepare for matches when it's one player training alone on their own pitch.

I've made my views clear that I'm against restarting however I'm open to clear suggestions that would complete the season but nothing of any sense seems to be coming from anyone other than a desire to finish the season. Have we actually learnt anything since the season was halted in March? Do the authorities have a date when the season is to be completed and the new season start or is the whole episode going to run and run. Surely the clubs need some sort of closure date in order to set budgets on and off the pitch as do players whose contracts are expiring.

Surely the main starting point is a finish date and if that is not achievable then move on to a new season and agree league winners, promotions and relegations where applicable.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Prem/FL plan to finish season behind closed doors in JULY

Barber - good on him - broken ranks on neutral venues. Apparently no contact with BHA on the Amex being one of the neutral venues, and clear statement about how neutral venues impacts the integrity of the competition. Going to get ugly, I reckon. Well done Paul.

https://twitter.com/philmcnulty/status/1256666825372336129?s=21

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Barber - good on him - broken ranks on neutral venues. Apparently no contact with BHA on the Amex being one of the neutral venues, and clear statement about how neutral venues impacts the integrity of the competition. Going to get ugly, I reckon. Well done Paul.

https://twitter.com/philmcnulty/status/1256666825372336129?s=21

To be fair to Mr. Barber, he is an extremely hard working and is exceedingly good at running a football club. He must despair with the idiots running the Premier League.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
He’s one of them. The PL hierarchy is literally the 20 CEO’s in effect representing the owners, with the PL CEO their senior employee.

I was very clear that it was 'the idiots' running the Premier league. There are plenty of them in the Premier League.

Incidentally, do you have to have an opinion on everything on Northstandchat...??????

You were the poster who when I mentioned that I was concerned about my daughter who is a senior nurse in A & E, told me that nursing staff were not in danger from the corona virus....you knew everything again, of course because a couple of members of your family worked somewhere in a hospital.

I think it is over 100 NHS staff who have died now.

I'll be glad when you go back to work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here