Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
From the BBC online news

Time is running out for European leagues to decide whether to resume their respective competitions, and that includes the Bundesliga.

The German league has been given a boost by Horst Seehofer, the country's interior minister, who told Bild am Sonntag that a plan put forward for Bundesliga matches to be played behind closed doors was plausible.

However, he said if there was a coronavirus case at a club then that club, and maybe the team they played against, would have to be quarantined for two weeks.

The interview with Seehofer was carried out before news was released of three members of FC Cologne testing positive.

The Bundesliga wants to restart in mid-May, and a government meeting on Wednesday should provide further clarity.

Uefa, European football's governing body, has given leagues a 25 May deadline to declare their intent.

I cannot see this being acceptable to the players union it's putting players, managment, physiotherapists, tv crews, etc in unnecessary dangers for a job role that could not be described as essential work.

What insurance would pay out should a player were to catch the virus while playing and later pass away

My partner and I was only saying this earlier, what a minefield that would be!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's NSC, it's full of people like you and I who have opinions and real stories, which others don't like. Sadly for you, I'm going nowhere.

I too have immediate family, I with one right now, who work at Worthing and Brighton's main hospitals. Seconded to work on covid19 wards, the patients never came. If you don't like that story, then there are other regular posters on NSC who have nursing daughters with exactly the same story to tell. My NHS family members had slight trepidation going into work the very first time, but that was that. Highly impressed with covid19 preparation of the hospitals, the training and equipment. Their opinion carries as much weight as your family's experience, you hold no monopoly on setting the NSC narrative on this subject.

You mention the NHS deaths, we're all sad about their loss of life and feel for their loved ones left behind. You'll struggle to find anyone feeling differently.

Didn't see your post about nurses not being at risk but just because you have relatives that don't feel at risk doesn't mean nurses etc aren't. My wife runs and intensive care unit and they have staff who are now off work because of contracting the disease and they have members of the hospital's staff in their unit being treated.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Didn't see your post about nurses not being at risk but just because you have relatives that don't feel at risk doesn't mean nurses etc aren't. My wife runs and intensive care unit and they have staff who are now off work because of contracting the disease and they have members of the hospital's staff in their unit being treated.

I never said nurses weren’t at risk or anything remotely along those lines, it’s fiction. If I had, I’d have been quite rightly jumped on by the NSC community.

Myself, and sone other regular NSC posters with frontline NHS hospital staff in their families, have simply relayed experiences of some empty covid wards, good training and in their cases just getting on with work philosophically. The NHS person in my direct family feels that they had covid19 about four weeks ago with very few symptoms, then they self isolated, but they stayed unperturbed. Everyone’s different.

Who would question your wife’s real experiences and any fear that she or her staff feel, or fail to emphasise with that? The country is awe.

My overriding point is that there are different experiences and emotions. As with NSC it’s a mixed bag, and it ridiculous to insinuate that I shouldn’t post, because my family had a different one to the other poster’s daughter.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I never said nurses weren’t at risk or anything remotely along those lines, it’s fiction. If I had, I’d have been quite rightly jumped on by the NSC community.

Myself, and sone other regular NSC posters with frontline NHS hospital staff in their families, have simply relayed experiences of some empty covid wards, good training and in their cases just getting on with work philosophically. The NHS person in my direct family feels that they had covid19 about four weeks ago with very few symptoms, then they self isolated, but they stayed unperturbed. Everyone’s different.

Who would question your wife’s real experiences and any fear that she or her staff feel, or fail to emphasise with that? The country is awe.

My overriding point is that there are different experiences and emotions. As with NSC it’s a mixed bag, and it ridiculous to insinuate that I shouldn’t post, because my family had a different one to the other poster’s daughter.

Fair enough, as I said, I didn't see your first post so was basing this on the other posters comments.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Today’s headlines “Relegation Ransom” & “Relegation Rebels”

The press already looking to blame the bottom six clubs with unreasonable demands, clearly as usual sympathetic towards the top six clubs.
Exactly what you expect from biased tabloids concerning the top six and how even the poorer clubs in the EPL could ruin any chance of starting the league again, someone to blame other than genuine concerns about health and safety. Christ Glenn said today on the BBC the players have to park three spaces away, and basically have a pitch to themselves to keep fit, it’s not squad training. The press lining us up to take the blame, hate the EPL and most of the media.

I thought maybe this terrible pandemic might make people more reflective, protective and bring people together with a common goal looking after each other.

Nah money first, Someone to blame, Someone to hate, Headline before social awareness and checking the facts.

God this is depressing

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Today’s headlines “Relegation Ransom” & “Relegation Rebels”

The press already looking to blame the bottom six clubs with unreasonable demands, clearly as usual sympathetic towards the top six clubs.
Exactly what you expect from biased tabloids concerning the top six and how even the poorer clubs in the EPL could ruin any chance of starting the league again, someone to blame other than genuine concerns about health and safety. Christ Glenn said today on the BBC the players have to park three spaces away, and basically have a pitch to themselves to keep fit, it’s not squad training. The press lining us up to take the blame, hate the EPL and most of the media.

I thought maybe this terrible pandemic might make people more reflective, protective and bring people together with a common goal looking after each other.

Nah money first, Someone to blame, Someone to hate, Headline before social awareness and checking the facts.

God this is depressing
I bet Alan Nixon is stirring away.

He has had a 'finish the season no matter what' agenda for weeks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Daughter's hospital remains calm with plenty of capacity, both in wards and ITU.......although her COVID DME ward is now getting busier as they are getting any over 70s (rather than just the very elderly/frail they'd normally get), and community hospitals/care homes now not accepting anyone unless they've had 2 negative test results. PPE has been a concern and they've had to limit the number of times they change it at times, but that seems to be OK now. Several staff have been off with symptoms over the last few weeks (but given the preparation beforehand they've never been short-staffed - in fact, they've been over-staffed several times), and one of the nurses on her ward sadly passed away - the risks are very real, and they are all generally worried about contracting it (daughter is frankly v surprised she hasn't had it already - or maybe has and was asymptomatic as she's with Covid patients all the time when working, including for example doing regular tracheotomy drains on coughing COVID sufferers). Of almost greater concern for them now are the number of people that haven't gone into hospital with other conditions, particularly things like strokes etc and the problems this will cause down the road.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52517532
Premier League: More clubs open to using neutral venues if relegation removed:
Is it just me or does the idea of this seem ridiculous. The only reason to restart the league is money(?) but would anyone really want to watch a game played behind closed doors on tv when there is nothing riding on it?
Sorry if i'm missing something.

You're not....it's a bollox idea

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52517532
Premier League: More clubs open to using neutral venues if relegation removed:
Is it just me or does the idea of this seem ridiculous. The only reason to restart the league is money(?) but would anyone really want to watch a game played behind closed doors on tv when there is nothing riding on it?
Sorry if i'm missing something.
The thing I don't get about that article is that the headline is speculation and not backed up by any substance in the article.

It says Barber is against neutral grounds.

At no point does he actually say anything about removing relegation or it being a possibility.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Whilst this neutral/empty stadium nonsense is a load of ####, should it come to fruition then I will still be more disappointed about having to play vital home games in a relegation battle without that advantage.

I'm writing to my MP.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Whilst this neutral/empty stadium nonsense is a load of ####, should it come to fruition then I will still be more disappointed about having to play vital home games in a relegation battle without that advantage.

I'm writing to my MP.

If it’s Caroline Lucas, I really wouldn’t waste your time.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The bloke is a ****....and he works for the Sun... His views are therefore irrelevant

Unless your a Neanderthal, and believe blindly what your being fed, I would even imagine Liverpool fans who don’t obviously read the Sun, would quickly blame the likes of Brighton especially as we are now being touted as the main protagonists.

I guess The People’s Republic of Brightonia will stand alone again for common sense.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Unless your a Neanderthal, and believe blindly what your being fed, I would even imagine Liverpool fans who don’t obviously read the Sun, would quickly blame the likes of Brighton especially as we are now being touted as the main protagonists.

I guess The People’s Republic of Brightonia will stand alone again for common sense.

Or we could be the only ones with the bollocks to speak up against the regime!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

The Coronavirus plan, Stan thread; Post of yours no 57;....

"If under 60, with no serious health conditions , they are not in grave danger. No one is suggesting that health professionals are in danger, even Len Mccluskey was promoting expansion of the numbers working in the NHS "

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
blame the likes of Brighton especially as we are now being touted as the main protagonists.

Yup. Seems we've gone from Barber making one comment that he wasn't that keen on the neutral grounds aspect of the plan to BRIGHTON HOLD PREMIER LEAGUE TO RANSOM AND BREAK THE ONLY HOPE OF MILLIONS JUST TO SELFISHLY WEASLE OUT OF BEING RELEGATED OUTRAGE SHOCK DISGRACE.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

There has been a bit of that lately - people who feel other people shouldn't post on NSC for what appears to be entirely personal reasons. Most of us have been here long enough to know that if the sand is beginning to cause irritation (which it can do...), there is a perfectly functional ignore facility two clicks away.

Personally I find there are at least 50 posters on here whose opinions on pretty much anything will interest me, and I learn a lot. :cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here