Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
There has been a bit of that lately - people who feel other people shouldn't post on NSC for what appears to be entirely personal reasons. Most of us have been here long enough to know that if the sand is beginning to cause irritation (which it can do...), there is a perfectly functional ignore facility two clicks away.

Personally I find there are at least 50 posters on here whose opinions on pretty much anything will interest me, and I learn a lot. :cheers:

Thanks Harry. I'm touched. I am assuming you include me in the 50...….right? :) I'll get me coat.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just seen Alan Nixon has accused Paul Barber of 'whinging' - hopefully the Sun are banned from any Zoom press conferences moving forwards

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yup. Seems we've gone from Barber making one comment that he wasn't that keen on the neutral grounds aspect of the plan to BRIGHTON HOLD PREMIER LEAGUE TO RANSOM AND BREAK THE ONLY HOPE OF MILLIONS JUST TO SELFISHLY WEASLE OUT OF BEING RELEGATED OUTRAGE SHOCK DISGRACE.

That's a grotesque exaggeration, and I salute you for voicing it.

Let's face it. We should never have been allowed into the PL in the first place, after we bought our way out of the lower leagues, building an eye sore of a 'stadium' in an area of outstanding natural beauty against the wishes of 110% of local residents. Let's face it, the club has never really had much traction with the local community, most of whom support big clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea and Portsmouth.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The silence from the majority of clubs and the openness of our club to the press is meaning the coverage we are getting is top news, given the scramble for headlines. They are manipulated by some to give a skewed view. The truth that Barber has always said we're in favour of finishing the seasons is now brushed away, we are now perceived a relegation threatened club trying at any cost to stay in the elite league. It could end up damaging our reputation.

The point made by Barber is a simple statistical one, no can deny it. There's a supposed push by the Big 6 to finish but they are only interested in themselves, as always and protecting their position in Europe. There's not a balance in the media about this. I do believe that a game played in an empty neutral stadium against a top side will actually enhance the bias shown to the top sides.

There's also so much money at stake could we see a club threatened with relegation, having players (somehow!) get the virus? That could start conspiracy theories and the whole lot would descend into chaos.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Just seen Alan Nixon has accused Paul Barber of 'whinging' - hopefully the Sun are banned from any Zoom press conferences moving forwards
I have really started to dislike Nixon because of his tedious "must finish the season regardless of any cost" agenda.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have really started to dislike Nixon because of his tedious "must finish the season regardless of any cost" agenda.

Self preservation, no football no job, no money, he has not got the Euros to fall back on now, and it’s not like he ever gets the inside scoop on transfers during close season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Self preservation, no football no job, no money, he has not got the Euros to fall back on now, and it’s not like he ever gets the inside scoop on transfers during close season.

He's already covered that by saying he doesn't care, he can retire at any time

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The thing I don't get about that article is that the headline is speculation and not backed up by any substance in the article.

It says Barber is against neutral grounds.

At no point does he actually say anything about removing relegation or it being a possibility.

Yep. This is how journalism (and, now, its hairy-arsed twittersphere cousin) operates in this country. Always has been.

Take a look at the conversation recently I had on here about the ginger challenger as chair of the PFA. It turns out there has been an orchestrated stream of misinformation about him intended to paint him as a racist. And the reason why people did this? Because they can. People get a thrill stitching others up in the media then bragging about it with their mates.

Anyway, wouldn't worry. I can't see any mud sticking on Barber (or Murray, who has also been on te radio today). At the end of the day, this is for the simple reason that football just isn't going to restart any time soon, and all these soppy bollocks 'plans' to restart behind closed doors in June won't even be allowed by the government. Not even our chancer-led government.

Anyone can cook up a wheeze. The latest entrepreneural one I heard was to fly everyone to Queensland and finish off the season in Australia. The fat **** promoting this sounded like the recently former chairman of Bury FC.

No, I can't seen the Albion dragged kicking and screamining into completing fixtures, and being picked apart by Citeh, Liverpool etc., in some neutral stadium. Any discussion of this is about as rooted in reality and plausible expectation as my plans to select which type of rubber johnny I will be using when I shag Angelina Jolie next week.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Coronavirus plan, Stan thread; Post of yours no 57;....

"If under 60, with no serious health conditions , they are not in grave danger. No one is suggesting that health professionals are in danger, even Len Mccluskey was promoting expansion of the numbers working in the NHS "

On 17th March scientists telling were us in the early days of covid that under 60's were not at threat.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Once the majority of us are back to work in the next 4 weeks then expect it will look very different.

If we are all back to work , the players may as well too.

The economy is taking precedence over safety to a point so its not a massive extra step to have players working again behind closed doors. Football has infinitly more money to throw at this than you average man on the street who shortly will be expected to run the gauntlet to work and back.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I want the season voided because:

1- its not safe to play and any resources that would be used to make it safe could and probably should be used for other priorities.
and
2- because I still fear relegation and would like to avoid that. (there I admit it!)

Does anyone else admit to element 2 while forming their opinion?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

1- its not safe to play and any resources that would be used to make it safe could and probably should be used for other priorities.
and
2- because I still fear relegation and would like to avoid that. (there I admit it!)

100% admit to option 2.

Would like it back but option 2 certainly is a softner for me as I fear we are heading down.

Plus would be brilliant to laugh at Leeds and Liverpool ( Liverpool especially )

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

and

I want the season to be finished because it's the right thing to do. If that means we get relegated then so be it.

That said I am not a massive fan of playing the games without fans. I'd rather they scrapped next season, and played this season's game at the same time next April/May when presumably it would be fine to do so with fans in the stadium.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It seems there is a lot of negative Brighton press at the moment following Barber's recent interview but I can't really say I disagree with anything that he has said. I think the integrity of the league would be unquestionably affected if we were to play the games at neutral venues however I can't see where he made reference to the title of the article "More clubs open to using neutral venues if relegation removed" https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52517532

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I want the season to be finished because it's the right thing to do. If that means we get relegated then so be it.

That said I am not a massive fan of playing the games without fans. I'd rather they scrapped next season, and played this season's game at the same time next April/May when presumably it would be fine to do so with fans in the stadium.

I'm the same. If we go down we go down but the games should be played under the conditions the season so far has been played I would be gutted at going down having had to play those games without the home advantage

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE

3- I think this is a massive opportunity to recalibrate the financial model that the Premier league is built on and the bull***t that Talk sport and Sky are peddling.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'm the same. If we go down we go down but the games should be played under the conditions the season so far has been played I would be gutted at going down having had to play those games without the home advantage

As usual it’s kitted out to suit the bigger clubs, also if this does go ahead be prepared for some cricket scores, when teams without that home advantage could crumble when it feels like a training session gone bad.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BBC Radio 5live are about to cover (until 2pm), football club finances, whether to finish this season or not, etc.

With Nihal Arthanyake and Harry Winks ….. both Spurs …. so the undercurrent might be to null and void their :down: season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here