Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Just received the below on a footy what’s app group, probably BS.

"... Premier league is back in June. I have a lead from someone who works for a sport travel agency that manages logistics for some top teams (spurs, city, wolves, newcastle, rangers to name a few). The company has been tasked to arrange hotels and travel for 8 weeks starting mid may.

All premier league teams will play their remaining games at st georges park behind closed doors and for TV only. The complex will host 2/3 games a day that will be streamed live.

The players will go into isolation mid may at select hotels in the vicinity of st georges and will train at local clubs grounds. They will not be able to see family and friends during the period of games. Each player will be tested regulary to ensure safety and hotels will be locked down for players only.

Looks like we are going to have a world cup style June with loads of games to watch."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Utter Tosh, what about the football league ?
You can’t have one without the other, otherwise there is no point finishing the league if promotion or relegation issues are not a factor or required.
If this is all just to crown the scousers the champions I’m gonna be mighty pissed off...

I can’t see how this will work for all the leagues, lower league, even championship clubs can’t afford to play behind closed doors...
This is all about Premier League money...
Utter bollox

albionite

May 20, 2009
Not sure it's that much bullshit, they was talking about this on talksport earlier, after interviewing a police chief. Who says if it goes ahead they want all the games in the same place. (Ok I know it was only talksport)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
How about finishing the season behind closed doors with all teams wearing hazmat suits, goggles and respirators? Simple and yet effective. Why is nobody suggesting this?

We could market it as "human Robot Wars".

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Could have seen that happening here except for the fact viĺla have a game in hand, so not possible. Such a shame in a way as other wise if equal games could give Liverpool title, top two in championship go up, and bottom two in prem go down. No other relegation or promotion in other leagues all tables finish as is. However one massive stumbling block is villa have a game in hand, making it a no go in my opinion.

The point is that the clubs will have to vote on how the season is to be concluded, assuming that it won't be played out on a pitch. 14 out of the 20 clubs will have to vote for an outcome to get passed. Only hope they don't do what happened in Parliament with the so called meaningful votes. They should work out all the various options and then vote on them and eliminate the one with the fewest votes until they get a situation where an option has the required 14 votes.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Yes, that's his opinion, i disagree with it. He's a bit of an idiot, he asked the police to begin an investigation into the transfer of Ross Barkley from his beloved Everton to Chelsea. I think you have to give the supporters the benefit of the doubt and give them a chance to show they can behave and stick to the rules. Next season will have to start behind closed doors, all these issues will crop up again then even if we scrap the remainder of the current season.

For once you are absolutely right......"Next Season will have to start behind closed doors".

With this in mind it has always been my strong opinion that all thoughts should be focused on next Season rather than run around like headless chickens putting undue pressure on clubs to play again this season whilst the Pandemic is still raging throughout the world.

The thoughtlessness and stupidity of those wanting to fill in a couple of hours of football TV during this period astounds me. There is neither the data, expertise or knowledge yet gathered from this Pandemic to sensibly work its way through the problems of sporting fixtures.

A calm period of a few months data gathering and exploring all safe and sensible options 'may' make it possible to have some sort of football next season .

Anything before that is merely pandering to childish "I want, I want " spoilt children.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
How about finishing the season behind closed doors with all teams wearing hazmat suits, goggles and respirators? Simple and yet effective. Why is nobody suggesting this?

I reckon zorbing is the way to go

Edit: *note to self* - read rest of thread before posting :lolol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This has been probably my main fear about the league starting again, now emphasised by Liverpool's mayor:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52484530

Liverpool mayor Joe Anderson says resuming the Premier League is a "non-starter", and he fears a "farcical" situation with fans congregating outside Anfield - even if Liverpool clinch the title at a neutral venue.

The Premier League has told its clubs only "approved venues" will be used, raising the possibility of matches being played at neutral grounds.

Liverpool, chasing their first title for 30 years, lead the table by 25 points with nine games remaining, while the league hopes to restart on 8 June.

The league's "Project Restart" envisages the season resuming behind closed doors because of social distancing measures in place to battle the coronavirus pandemic.

Liverpool say they are "disappointed" with Anderson's comments.

How realistic is Premier League plan to resume season?
The national lead for football policing said on Wednesday that playing all remaining Premier League and EFL fixtures at their original venues would "present challenges" to the emergency services.

Deputy chief constable Mark Roberts said "options" need to be looked at.

Anderson, Liverpool's first directly elected mayor, told BBC Sport: "Even if it was behind closed doors, there'd be many thousands of people who would turn up outside Anfield.

"There's not many people who would respect what we were saying and stay away from the ground, a lot of people would come to celebrate so I think it's a non-starter."

Asked about whether playing at a neutral venue would help, he said: "Even then, I guess that a lot of people would turn up outside Anfield to celebrate and I understand the police's concerns around that, so there's a real difficulty here for us.

"I think it would be really difficult for the police to keep people apart and maintain social distancing if they were going to celebrate outside Anfield. It would be farcical.

"It's difficult for us to try to stop people gathering in parks when the weather has been good, especially young people. And I fear people would just ignore it.

"The police are right to be concerned about that as we are here in the city, and public health officials are also concerned about that, so we'd ask the Premier League and government to take into account all of these concerns that we have."

In a statement, Liverpool said: "As well as a lack of evidence to support such claims, we would also point to recent discussions with mayor Anderson relating to the possibility of any behind-closed-doors football, which concluded that it is important that key stakeholders across the city continue to engage and work collaboratively.

"In recent weeks, we have engaged with supporters' groups who have informed us of their determination to respect social distancing measures and, in the event of a resumption of football being announced, we would continue to work with them and other key stakeholders in keeping with our collective desire to achieve this crucial objective.

"As part of our ongoing operations, we are in regular contact with the mayor and his office and we hope these conversations can continue."

'Liverpool should be champions - but end the season'

Anderson added: "I think the best thing to do is to actually end the season.

"It isn't just about Liverpool - they've clearly won the league - they deserve it, they should be crowned league champions.

"The bottom line is, though, this is about health and safety and people's lives and I think football should have to come second in regards to making a choice here."

More than 300 people have died from coronavirus in Liverpool hospitals.

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Just a little note for those on NSC declaring that they are not happy with what they perceive as the anti Liverpool sentiment :

'Liverpool hit back at mayor on PL restart'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11981274

In a nutshell they are being critical of the sensible sane view that the mayor and many people hold. Their judgement is still being clouded by the belief that then winning the league is just so critical.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Such a shame in a way as other wise if equal games could give Liverpool title, top two in championship go up, and bottom two in prem go down. No other relegation or promotion in other leagues all tables finish as is.

Why are we treating PL / Championship relegation and promotion differently to (e.g.) League 1 to League 2?

Give Liverpool the title by all means but you can't only do relegation from the PL and promotion from the Championship, the same across all leagues or not at all.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just a little note for those on NSC declaring that they are not happy with what they perceive as the anti Liverpool sentiment :

In a nutshell they are being critical of the sensible sane view that the mayor and many people hold. Their judgement is still being clouded by the belief that then winning the league is just so critical.

Hmmm....not sure how saying they are 'disappointed' is 'hitting back'.

What are they expected to say? 'Delighted'? 'Fully on board with that'? 'We have always been shite and don't deserve anything'?

Has the Murdoch empire got any 'history' with Liverpool FC at all? ??? Asking for a friend.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Just received the below on a footy what’s app group, probably BS.

"... Premier league is back in June. I have a lead from someone who works for a sport travel agency that manages logistics for some top teams (spurs, city, wolves, newcastle, rangers to name a few). The company has been tasked to arrange hotels and travel for 8 weeks starting mid may.

All premier league teams will play their remaining games at st georges park behind closed doors and for TV only. The complex will host 2/3 games a day that will be streamed live.

The players will go into isolation mid may at select hotels in the vicinity of st georges and will train at local clubs grounds. They will not be able to see family and friends during the period of games. Each player will be tested regulary to ensure safety and hotels will be locked down for players only.

Looks like we are going to have a world cup style June with loads of games to watch."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Definitely bobbins, there are a clubs (inc Albion) who've said they won't play at a neutral venue

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
oops

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

This is the same club who accommodated 3,000 travelling Atletico Madrid fans into their city and inside their stadium a couple of days before the PL was binned, when people were already dropping like flies in Madrid and all over Spain due to Covid. But I guess they simply HAD to get that 2nd leg played at all costs.

After all, as we all know when it comes to LFC - "This Means More"

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

That's not the view of the Albion who would like to see the season completed when safe to do so.

So is the Albion's view clouded ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Hmmm....not sure how saying they are 'disappointed' is 'hitting back'.

What are they expected to say? 'Delighted'? 'Fully on board with that'? 'We have always been shite and don't deserve anything'?

Has the Murdoch empire got any 'history' with Liverpool FC at all? ??? Asking for a friend.

Sky isn't owned by Murdoch now. I only found that out recently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here