Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This is the same club who accommodated 3,000 travelling Atletico Madrid fans into their city and inside their stadium a couple of days before the PL was binned, when people were already dropping like flies in Madrid and all over Spain due to Covid. But I guess they simply HAD to get that 2nd leg played at all costs.

After all, as we all know when it comes to LFC - "This Means More"

Bollocks. Here you go again with anti-Liverpool rubbish. I suspect that game had nothing to do with Liverpool twisting anyone's arm. Did Brighton call off the PL game with Arsenal when Arteta got the virus or did the PL, if Brighton didn't well the I guess we had to get our game played at all costs.

BTW I always thought it was a terrible mistake to play the Liverpool Madrid game but that doesn't mean the club was at fault.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
This is the same club who accommodated 3,000 travelling Atletico Madrid fans into their city and inside their stadium a couple of days before the PL was binned, when people were already dropping like flies in Madrid and all over Spain due to Covid. But I guess they simply HAD to get that 2nd leg played at all costs.

After all, as we all know when it comes to LFC - "This Means More"

:facepalm:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bollocks. Here you go again with anti-Liverpool rubbish. I suspect that game had nothing to do with Liverpool twisting anyone's arm. Did Brighton call off the PL game with Arsenal when Arteta got the virus or did the PL, if Brighton didn't well the I guess we had to get our game played at all costs.

BTW I always thought it was a terrible mistake to play the Liverpool Madrid game but that doesn't mean the club was at fault.

Bollocks up yer arse. I regard LFC's decision to play that game with 3,000 travelling Madrid fans with the same disdain as the organisers of Cheltenham who had 250k descend on their jamboree in mid-March, when by then we could all see what was sweeping across Europe and coming our way. Italy was already in turmoil, Spain swiftly heading the same way particularly in Madrid. That game was on Wednesday - by Monday, we were in lockdown.

Seeing Madrid hospitals swamped with patients on the news, I watched that game on TV thinking "this looks like a really bad idea", as I'm sure most others did. No, I'm sure Liverpool didn't twist any arms - they didn't have to, because the government were still in their "everythings fine" mode, even allowing that 250k to attend Cheltenham that midweek too. They could've made their own judgement call though, being as they were inviting 3,000 people over on planes from a coronavirus epicentre of europe. But I guess the game was just too important.

Regarless of it being Liverpool btw, I'd have thought the same thing if it was any other team hosting thousands of fans from a convid disaster zone.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Bollocks up yer arse. I regard LFC's decision to play that game with 3,000 travelling Madrid fans with the same disdain as the organisers of Cheltenham who had 250k descend on their jamboree in mid-March, when by then we could all see what was sweeping across Europe and coming our way. Italy was already in turmoil, Spain swiftly heading the same way particularly in Madrid. That game was on Wednesday - by Monday, we were in lockdown.

Seeing Madrid hospitals swamped with patients on the news, I watched that game on TV thinking "this looks like a really bad idea", as I'm sure most others did. No, I'm sure Liverpool didn't twist any arms - they didn't have to, because the government were still in their "everythings fine" mode, even allowing that 250k to attend Cheltenham that midweek too. They could've made their own judgement call though, being as they were inviting 3,000 people over on planes from a coronavirus epicentre of europe. But I guess the game was just too important.

Regarless of it being Liverpool btw, I'd have thought the same thing if it was any other team hosting thousands of fans from a convid disaster zone.

I thought that UEFA wanted the game to go ahead. They're in charge, after all.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sky isn't owned by Murdoch now. I only found that out recently.

The article headline still fails to represent the content, though, so the great Murdoch tradition continues, it would seem.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yes. I was expected at work that week but I said 'No! I know best! I am staying at home!'.

I think you are expecting far too much of a football club. Klopp isn't an epidemiologist. Neither is the owner. As far as I'm aware no individual club in any sport has unilaterally pulled out of a fixture before a national lockdown.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The article headline still fails to represent the content, though, so the great Murdoch tradition continues, it would seem.

Can't deny that. Although Sky news has been pretty good lately.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought that UEFA wanted the game to go ahead. They're in charge, after all.

I'm sure they did. Isn't anyone else allowed to make a sensible judgement call though ?

I was due to go to the Arsenal game in the 1901 with my (80 y/o) dad that weekend, but like others who were on here, was having serious misgivings by that Thursday. A packed train didn't sound an overly enticing prospect on Saturday. Thankfully the decision was taken entirely out of my hands on the Thursday evening when Arteta was struck down. I'm not a scientist or an expert though - I'd hope people in charge of these things would make the right calls for the right reasons on everyone's behalf, given the circumstances and what was at stake. Clearly nobody did at Westminster, UEFA, Liverpool or Cheltenham though did they.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm sure they did. Isn't anyone else allowed to make a sensible judgement call though ?

I was due to go to the Arsenal game in the 1901 with my (80 y/o) dad that weekend, but like others who were on here, was having serious misgivings by that Thursday. A packed train didn't sound an overly enticing prospect on Saturday. Thankfully the decision was taken entirely out of my hands on the Thursday evening when Arteta was struck down. I'm not a scientist or an expert though - I'd hope people in charge of these things would make the right calls for the right reasons on everyone's behalf, given the circumstances and what was at stake. Clearly nobody did at Westminster, UEFA, Liverpool or Cheltenham though did they.

I was keen as mustard to go and didn't have to worry about a packed train to deter me ...thankfully that decision was as you say taken out of my hands

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep, but don't let p̶r̶e̶j̶u̶d̶i̶c̶e̶ facts get in the way of the truth.

*sigh*

I'd have said the same if it was Chelsea / City / Spurs / Peterborough, delete as applicable. Having 3,000 people from Madrid descend on your town and your stadium in mid-March, by which time that city was besieged by corona, was a BONE decision by all involved who let it go ahead.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

:thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was keen as mustard to go and didn't have to worry about a packed train to deter me ...thankfully that decision was as you say taken out of my hands

I was desperate to go as well. Not just cos of the game, it was my dads birthday treat. But my mum had the willies about it as well by Thursday, and I was torn. It was both disappointing and a relief at the same time when it was called off.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can't deny that. Although Sky news has been pretty good lately.

Indeed. I am allergic to adverts, though, so it is BBC all day for me.

Incidentally I listened to a bit of Radio 1 in the missus' car today (it was on preset when we bought the car - she doesn't listen to the radio at all) and boy, the under 25s must really like being talked down to. What the actual ****! ??? :lolol: :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
*sigh*

I'd have said the same if it was Chelsea / City / Spurs / Peterborough, delete as applicable. Having 3,000 people from Madrid descend on your town and your stadium in mid-March, by which time that city was besieged by corona, was a BONE decision by all involved who let it go ahead.

I think everyone's point (who has taken issue with you) is this cannot be blamed on Liverpool FC, which is what you appeared to be doing, whether intentionally or not. Nobody would argue that with hindsight this was not a dumb decision.

I say that as someone who posted along the lines of 'well **** off, then, Liverpool, and your "EPL champion dreams"' when they furloughed non playing staff.

???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think everyone's point (who has taken issue with you) is this cannot be blamed on Liverpool FC, which is what you appeared to be doing, whether intentionally or not. Nobody would argue that with hindsight this was not a dumb decision.

I say that as someone who posted along the lines of 'well **** off, then, Liverpool, and your "EPL champion dreams"' when they furloughed non playing staff.

???

To which I said the same. Not exactly been at the vanguard of the crisis have they.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here