Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agüero not keen either.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ing-to-football-because-of-covid-19-5gwcwxqv8

Also, if games are at a neutral venue, presumably that would be one which is VAR ready?

Any ground is VAR ready, all you need are tv cameras around the ground and a link to VAR headquarters via the mikes. Not too hard to install at short notice. That said, it won't be necessary as there won't be any games behind closed doors to end the season. Sometime soon, the EPL will acknowledge this publicly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agüero not keen either.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ing-to-football-because-of-covid-19-5gwcwxqv8

Also, if games are at a neutral venue, presumably that would be one which is VAR ready?

Yes, that will be one of the protocols.

The 'neutral venue' is a shite idea that will completely undermine the integrity of the competition though. 3/4 of the season home and away, the rest of it (right at the SHARP end) in an empty stadium somewhere thats not even your own ? Its like a collective madness has descended on the PL, this finish-at-all-costs mantra.

Instead of running scared about handing money back, the EPL should be striking a deal on behalf of its members with all their long-standing broadcasting partners, home and abroad, to reduce their TV money demands for next season, in order to accommodate the fact that this season won't be completed. The clubs and the TV companies NEED each other, so they should work closely together to find a mutual solution through all this and set out a new contract for next season.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
OK so now we have Muzza and Aguero expressing real worries. They can't be the only ones. So how can they still forge ahead with a restart if the most pivotal people in the whole process are having serious and legitimate concerns?

PFA only have to ask for a stonewall guarantee that their members health will not be compromised. No way can this be given therefore the season ends.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
So, what if the Premier League was to take the same steps as France, and what if teams voted to go with the mid-point table option?
Unsurprisingly, Liverpool would still win their first-ever Premier League title, but there would be quite the upset for second.
Based on the mid-point table, Leicester City would take second place, finishing above current second-placed team Manchester City.
That's despite Pep Guardiola's men having a four-point lead over the Foxes with a game in-hand as things stand.
Meanwhile, Chelsea would take fourth with Manchester United and Sheffield United in fifth and sixth respectively.
Tottenham and Wolves make up seventh and eighth, which would both be European spots should Manchester City's European ban stand.

At the bottom, Norwich would suffer relegation back to the Championship, along with Watford, who are currently outside the relegation zone, and Aston Villa, who are two points from safety with a game in-hand in the live standings.
Southampton, West Ham and Bournemouth would all beat the drop, while Arsenal would finish as low as 13th, below Brighton in 12th

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Any ground is VAR ready, all you need are tv cameras around the ground and a link to VAR headquarters via the mikes. Not too hard to install at short notice. That said, it won't be necessary as there won't be any games behind closed doors to end the season. Sometime soon, the EPL will acknowledge this publicly.

Someone better informed than me reckons it's totally unsuitable so I had a look at their website and did a virtual 360 degree check of the Sir Bobby Charlton pitch which seems to be the one with the stand (and I do mean stand, singular). You'd need a camera on the roof of it I reckon and I'm not sure how the goal line tech would get installed. Then cameramen around the ground possibly on towers like they used to build for the Goldstone East Stand. Labour-intensivetastic. But, like you say, we all know it's not going to happen anyway.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So, what if the Premier League was to take the same steps as France, and what if teams voted to go with the mid-point table option?
Unsurprisingly, Liverpool would still win their first-ever Premier League title, but there would be quite the upset for second.
Based on the mid-point table, Leicester City would take second place, finishing above current second-placed team Manchester City.
That's despite Pep Guardiola's men having a four-point lead over the Foxes with a game in-hand as things stand.
Meanwhile, Chelsea would take fourth with Manchester United and Sheffield United in fifth and sixth respectively.
Tottenham and Wolves make up seventh and eighth, which would both be European spots should Manchester City's European ban stand.

At the bottom, Norwich would suffer relegation back to the Championship, along with Watford, who are currently outside the relegation zone, and Aston Villa, who are two points from safety with a game in-hand in the live standings.
Southampton, West Ham and Bournemouth would all beat the drop, while Arsenal would finish as low as 13th, below Brighton in 12th

Think if you're going to copy and paste from an article you should indicate that it's not your own words (apart from the last four!!).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Someone better informed than me reckons it's totally unsuitable so I had a look at their website and did a virtual 360 degree check of the Sir Bobby Charlton pitch which seems to be the one with the stand (and I do mean stand, singular). You'd need a camera on the roof of it I reckon and I'm not sure how the goal line tech would get installed. Then cameramen around the ground possibly on towers like they used to build for the Goldstone East Stand. Labour-intensivetastic. But, like you say, we all know it's not going to happen anyway.

Now that brings back memories, that scaffolding tv stand at the back of the chicken run.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Now that brings back memories, that scaffolding tv stand at the back of the chicken run.

Always gave me a FRISSON of excitement walking up Goldstone Lane and seeing that camera gantry on the East, knowing that we were going to be on the TELLY.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
"In the leaked Whatsapp group conversation Rovers winger Alex Rodman, the club’s PFA rep, is believed to be passing the latest information from the EFL on to his team-mates."

"The Premier League would absorb three promoted teams and move up to a 23-team division for one season only."

https://twitter.com/PTAlanSwann/status/1255893902986444804?s=20

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterborough-uniteds-season-becomes-more-confusing-after-leaked-conversation-says-efl-chief-executive-believes-football-june-very-optimistic-while-sporting-merit-might-be-used-determine-promotions-and-2609017

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes, that will be one of the protocols.

The 'neutral venue' is a shite idea that will completely undermine the integrity of the competition though. 3/4 of the season home and away, the rest of it (right at the SHARP end) in an empty stadium somewhere thats not even your own ? Its like a collective madness has descended on the PL, this finish-at-all-costs mantra.

Instead of running scared about handing money back, the EPL should be striking a deal on behalf of its members with all their long-standing broadcasting partners, home and abroad, to reduce their TV money demands for next season, in order to accommodate the fact that this season won't be completed. The clubs and the TV companies NEED each other, so they should work closely together to find a mutual solution through all this and set out a new contract for next season.
This.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So who are they saying the third team will be Fulham ?and how? Six down next season? Hmmmm

at once highlighting the the flaw of trying to do anything other than end the season as it is, or voiding. presumably this gets replayed down the leagues? the article is thin on real detail though, it could simply be the PFA agent expressing an option.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Always gave me a FRISSON of excitement walking up Goldstone Lane and seeing that camera gantry on the East, knowing that we were going to be on the TELLY.

This. In fact, if I had a time machine to get away from this current nonsense I'd go back, not to a big game at the Amex but to me walking up Goldstone Lane with my mates after a skinfull in town and seeing the telly gantry, safe in the knowledge that a small sum of money at the turnstile would get me in to see an EVENT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here