Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just heard on Radio 5 the players will may have to wear masks during the game !!! Is that serious ??

I still believe the PL know that none of this will work - but they need to be seen to try and do everything possible to get games back on.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Ludicrous :fishing:

Stick with the low comedy. If that was low comedy you are going to whoosh more than just me. :shrug:

What's ludicorus in what I've said??

If they don't want to play, fair enough (even though if and when they do return they'll get better protection than any key worker or member of the NHS from coming into contact with the disease) but if they don't want to play I don't see how they can continue to push back on any reduction in their wages. Given what they earn and what people on the frontline are going through, and the financial implications for the clubs they play for of not completing the season I can't see how they can justify continuing to be fully paid, on aveage £61,000 a week sitting on their backsides doing nothing.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I still believe the PL know that none of this will work - but they need to be seen to try and do everything possible to get games back on.

I agree. They're going to face legal challenges of some sort from clubs not happy with how the final table has been decided with regard to relegation and CL places. If they can demonstrate that abandoning the season was beyond their control then it makes things a bit easier.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just heard on Radio 5 the players will may have to wear masks during the game !!! Is that serious ??

Blue and white striped masks with the Seagull logo on the side ? And their squad number ? What a TREMENDOUS marketing opportunity. I'm IN.

(although the market for fans buying players used masks might be somewhat limited)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I agree. They're going to face legal challenges of some sort from clubs not happy with how the final table has been decided with regard to relegation and CL places. If they can demonstrate that abandoning the season was beyond their control then it makes things a bit easier.

And it will be beyond their control. For every idea they put forward you can think or two or three reasons it won't work.

More and more, the option of declaring the season finished (but not void) seems the best one. Decide the European places on points per game to get round the difficulty of some teams having played fewer matches, and have no relegation (amusing as it would be to see certain clubs go down). Declare Liverpool champions, promote Leeds and West Brom and apologise to the teams in playoff positions but hey, force majeure. Or split the parachute money among them as compensation. There has been a 22-team Premier League before, and it can be for only one season - although five going down could end some clubs' seasons very early.

In the EFL. all clubs currently in automatic promotion places go up, the three from League Two being okay as League One is already one team short because of the Bury situation. All highly imperfect but maybe making the best of a very bad situation.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Spot on. Then can then argue that they looked into every different possible avenue in order to get playing again before they announce that it cannot be done.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
And it will be beyond their control. For every idea they put forward you can think or two or three reasons it won't work.

More and more, the option of declaring the season finished (but not void) seems the best one. Decide the European places on points per game to get round the difficulty of some teams having played fewer matches, and have no relegation (amusing as it would be to see certain clubs go down). Declare Liverpool champions, promote Leeds and West Brom and apologise to the teams in playoff positions but hey, force majeure. Or split the parachute money among them as compensation. There has been a 22-team Premier League before, and it can be for only one season - although five going down could end some clubs' seasons very early.

In the EFL. all clubs currently in automatic promotion places go up, the three from League Two being okay as League One is already one team short because of the Bury situation. All highly imperfect but maybe making the best of a very bad situation.

Dropping the League Cup & FL Trophy for a season would create a few match windows (although admittedly not many).

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Blue and white striped masks with the Seagull logo on the side ? And their squad number ? What a TREMENDOUS marketing opportunity. I'm IN.

(although the market for fans buying players used masks might be somewhat limited)

I think they should have to wear full PPE. Gowns, mask, screen and gloves. In full team colours of course.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011

As indeed will be the home made signs by younger fans...

"EDEN HAZARD CAN I HAVE YOUR MAS...
NO, FORGET IT"

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm guessing it will be the big spending championship clubs that nose dive first.

I'm sure the clamour by Leeds United in particular for them to be included in next season's Premier League under basically any circumstances has nothing to do with this...

It's funny how we've not heard anything like as much from West Brom, isn't it?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Dropping the League Cup & FL Trophy for a season would create a few match windows (although admittedly not many).

Add in international breaks and the gaps start to add up ..leagues take precedent...but then of course for non league clubs the FA Cup brings in important revenue ..but we could get round that with the PL donating cash to them

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Nail the hit the head on.........and the longer they continue to pretend that the season will continue the more absurd they look. The key issues will be:

1. The £££ deal they reach with Sky etc
2. How they deal with the league winners, promotions and relegations.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

You can already buy American sports team masks, I saw some Seattle Sounders and Seahawks masks for sale from their official sites.

It will be done, no marketing agent worth his salt would miss this trick.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm sure the clamour by Leeds United in particular for them to be included in next season's Premier League under basically any circumstances has nothing to do with this...

It's funny how we've not heard anything like as much from West Brom, isn't it?

In fairness, West Brom have parachute payments which makes their position relatively comfortable, id imagine. Plus being a well run club, etc .......

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Indeed.

Disney haven't wasted any time jumping on this bandwagon >>> https://www.shopdisney.com/face-masks/

2022056531156.jpeg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I can't see increasing the size of the league as an option. The season has to end in May because of the Euro championships and there'll be WC qualifiers to fit in. And we don't know yet when the league will start,: my feeling is that it will be at the end of August - it will be a real squeeze to fit in extra games

I think you either have relegation and promotion or nothing at all.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
You can already buy American sports team masks, I saw some Seattle Sounders and Seahawks masks for sale from their official sites.

It will be done, no marketing agent worth his salt would miss this trick.

Oh please make these mandatory for players. Will wait eagerly for the first player to spit forgetting he is wearing one.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

I couldn't agree more, I think that's pretty much exactly what will happen. When you think about the actual implementation of any ideas that are being floated for completing the season they are impossible. What would happen if one player tests positive for COVID prior to the match, would you have to call it off and make the whole team isolate for 2 weeks? Just completely nonsensical.

I think the Premier League are hoping the government make an announcement akin to France so the blame won't be on them in relation to the sponsorship & TV finances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here