Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Just a little side note to all this, what happens to bets placed at the bookmakers, such as seasonal finishes.
For example I have a lucky 15 for four leagues in England all e/w two are currently in the top four places and two just outside with a chance to get into their respective top four league positions. Now I’m not that arsed about the money, but i would imagine a lot of money has been staked on leagues and positions, what happens to the bets, null and void ? Refund ? Payout as they stand now ?

Another puzzle that won’t please everyone

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Just a little side note to all this, what happens to bets placed at the bookmakers, such as seasonal finishes.
For example I have a lucky 15 for four leagues in England all e/w two are currently in the top four places and two just outside with a chance to get into their respective top four league positions. Now I’m not that arsed about the money, but i would imagine a lot of money has been staked on leagues and positions, what happens to the bets, null and void ? Refund ? Payout as they stand now ?

Another puzzle that won’t please everyone

If the leagues are voided then it has to be all bets are off - unless the bookies have a rule about non completion. Otherwise you'll have a bookie deciding on events they have no rules about, and that will destroy confidence. If they have a book for the next season then it will almost certainly have a rule about not finishing the league. I would imagine they won't be too pleased as there was probably a ton of money on Man City.

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
Without reading all the messages here then I guess people have heard this?
Bristol Rovers’ player Alex Rodman's Leaked WhatsApp audio r.e EFL

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
And it will be beyond their control. For every idea they put forward you can think or two or three reasons it won't work.

More and more, the option of declaring the season finished (but not void) seems the best one. Decide the European places on points per game to get round the difficulty of some teams having played fewer matches, and have no relegation (amusing as it would be to see certain clubs go down). Declare Liverpool champions, promote Leeds and West Brom and apologise to the teams in playoff positions but hey, force majeure. Or split the parachute money among them as compensation. There has been a 22-team Premier League before, and it can be for only one season - although five going down could end some clubs' seasons very early.

In the EFL. all clubs currently in automatic promotion places go up, the three from League Two being okay as League One is already one team short because of the Bury situation. All highly imperfect but maybe making the best of a very bad situation.

I've suggested this from the outset :bigwave:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Indeed.

Disney haven't wasted any time jumping on this bandwagon >>> https://www.shopdisney.com/face-masks/

View attachment 122995

This could really catch on - a whole new marketing stream nobody ever thought of before! I like the idea of the club coloured Hazard Suit. If they did these we could all go back to the football and pub safely too!

Hazard.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The other reason why increasing the size of the league - apart from time constraints - is that it would mean a 10% cut in income for all clubs. It's still not clear whether clubs are going to have reimburse Sky if the season is voided but, if they do, I can't see many clubs being in a hurry to take another slice off their take for the year.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In fairness, West Brom have parachute payments which makes their position relatively comfortable, id imagine. Plus being a well run club, etc .......

That’s true, according their last published accounts a loss of just £6.6m, which is relative chicken feed in the Championship. Especially when you strip out the Championship liars who’ve given themselves a profit or reduced loss with an ad hoc ‘gain’ from ‘selling’ the stadium to another group company,

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can't see increasing the size of the league as an option. The season has to end in May because of the Euro championships and there'll be WC qualifiers to fit in. And we don't know yet when the league will start,: my feeling is that it will be at the end of August - it will be a real squeeze to fit in extra games

I think you either have relegation and promotion or nothing at all.

Supporting your initial comment, on 5live this morning it was pointed out that the 20 PL clubs will not want their 2020/21 broadcasting income, to be shared out to 22 or 23 PL clubs for 2020/21.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If the leagues are voided then it has to be all bets are off - unless the bookies have a rule about non completion. Otherwise you'll have a bookie deciding on events they have no rules about, and that will destroy confidence. If they have a book for the next season then it will almost certainly have a rule about not finishing the league. I would imagine they won't be too pleased as there was probably a ton of money on Man City.

After last season's finish, I suspect there's a lot on Liverpool too!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They should cancel the season and move along. Give Liverpool the title if they want it.

Trying to finish the season is madness. Complete stupidity. "How many of your players had their lungs ruined by this shit?" is going to be a factor. And when play resumes, one sick player and everything is ****ed, none of the teams are going to want to play.

Yes, if the 20/21 season starts in August or September the same thing could happen, but at least clubs would have a chance to adjust to the new preconditions. But to finish this season in June or July, when 28 games were already played on planet Earth, on planet Covid... it wouldnt be fair and it wouldnt be clever.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The whole promote Leeds & WBA or top two teams from each division does not stand up or seem fair, teams can collapse and have a terrible run. Legal challenges would be flying around throughout the divisions, and something the respective authorities would wish to avoid.

The only fair way to complete the season is to void it, it is then equal throughout the leagues/divisions, no one team is perceived to receive special treatment. Every other suggestion is unfair, playing behind closed doors, extra subs, playing neutral grounds, a point a game, finish the season on merit, they all have flaws and are unfair in one way or another.

Covid 19 is not going away anytime soon, players are worried about playing, contracts etc, etc.
This is the perfect chance to be fair, void the season, help clubs, look at the wage structure of clubs and overpaid players, share the money fairer.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I still can't see how the desire to maintain the integrity of the competition sits with the news that the return from 12 June can only be at 8-10 neutral venues.

I just see today's meeting as the PL delaying a decision and hoping that rather like France the UK Government steps in and makes the decision for them.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Bang goes a restart of 9th May These players have to isolate until 14th and then start training. No hope to restart in May

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here