Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Umm...this has to come down to a view depending on your circumstances at the time....for me football is and always will be a bit of escapism and hopefully will remain so...the only time it hasn’t been is when the Albion were going through their financial crisis, as at the time my job involved dealing with peoples own financial problems at the time and football just seemed an extension of that ......currently I’d even go for it being behind closed doors for a bit of ‘escapism’ (subject to various conditions) ..but let’s not go down that debate
Did you used to be a banker?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Given that it's possible / probable that the majority of cases are asymptomatic, what are the odds that as soon as they test before the 1st matches we get a number of positive test results?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
And here's the latest and this is just the proposals for getting back to training!

'PL players will have to cover faces in training'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11981088

For the love of god can the government please knock it on the head soon!

Other proposals include:

All footballs, global positioning system [GPS] units, cones, corner flags, goalposts and other equipment to be disinfected before and after use by staff wearing personal protective equipment [PPE]
Players to wear snood/masks at all times
Cars to be parked three spaces apart
No massages unless approved by club doctor
Fluids to be left at designated pick-up points
Only visit training block to use toilet
Initially only five players per training group
Players to be given designated time slots and 15 minutes to prepare
75 minutes of small group training
15 minutes' recovery
Players and staff will be banned from spitting at the training ground

Blimey, and that's just for training!

They'll need a full hazard suit on to even think about playing a competitve match at this rate.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Given that it's possible / probable that the majority of cases are asymptomatic, what are the odds that as soon as they test before the 1st matches we get a number of positive test results?

I like the sound of disinfected balls - I know, childish isn't it...

Strangely I couldn't see any mention of disinfected footwear, which I would have felt more crucial than GPS cones!

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
And here's the latest and this is just the proposals for getting back to training!

Eeww, yuck! Just imagine the pints of sputum/snot that each player expectorates during an average game now collecting on the inside of masks and snoods!

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
With the government rather struggling to impose SD and other measures I very much doubt if they are going to support games of professional football being broadcast across the country.

Our stats for the disease are pretty horrendous and the fall off of numbers in London hospitals is really being replaced by those suffering and dying in care homes throughout the country.

There is much still to do to bring this virus under control in any normal setting.

Football needs to wait and it needs to be a long wait.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

The government won't as then it becomes their shit to sort out. Exactly the same action as the government took (didn't take) with regards stopping football in the first place...!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
There has previously been mentioned ‘what if’ supporters gather at stadiums to support their sides?
Taking that one stage further ‘what if’ a team like say, Aston Villa we’re getting to their last few games and were looking at almost certain relegation and their fans organised themselves to gather en-mass outside the stadium forcing games to be abandoned. I doubt if it would take much.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
There has previously been mentioned ‘what if’ supporters gather at stadiums to support their sides?
Taking that one stage further ‘what if’ a team like say, Aston Villa we’re getting to their last few games and were looking at almost certain relegation and their fans organised themselves to gather en-mass outside the stadium forcing games to be abandoned. I doubt if it would take much.

The shirtless Leeds and other various northern monkey teams, with a mask might be interesting....
Obviously our fans gathered, “en-mass” will depart on 85 minutes..

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

The authorities would need to be clear, football will only come back if fans can behave themselves and continue social distancing, if it falls down then the games stop,a carrot of potentially football returning and a stick of it being taken away if fans don't behave (Ireally think given what is going on people should at least be given the oppotuinity to be trustged nad will respect the rules). Any supporters deliberately flouting the rules as you mention should face sanctions, in your scenario the game should be abandoned, the supporters gathering fined as per current protocols and Villa given a points deduction.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The authorities would need to be clear, football will only come back if fans can behave themselves and continue social distancing, if it falls down then the games stop,a carrot of potentially football returning and a stick of it being taken away if fans don't behave (Ireally think given what is going on people should at least be given the oppotuinity to be trustged nad will respect the rules). Any supporters deliberately flouting the rules as you mention should face sanctions, in your scenario the game should be abandoned, the supporters gathering fined as per current protocols and Villa given a points deduction.
So fans can tactically get the tournament abandoned at any point, no doubt when their team has just crawled out of the relegation zone on that particular week ?

It has to be all or nothing.

End the season now or end it after a full 38 games.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
So fans can tactically get the tournament abandoned at any point, no doubt when their team has just crawled out of the relegation zone on that particular week ?

Nothing more than they could normally, they could choose to invade the pitch at any given time and get a game abandoned, any fans that do this such thing would see their club reprimanded including a potential points deduction that could put them back in trouble. We do however I think have to trust fans to behave, the vast majority are behaving now by social distancing I don't see how some behind closed doors games featuring these teams are going to turn them into complete loons.

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011

Exactly, I like the position we r now. So first round of matchs let's get a big group of bright fans to congregate out side the London stadium. Make us even more safe as west ham get points deduction.
I can also see man u fans hanging outside Anfield to get the season null and void.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Absolute madness and it needs some prominent figures in the game to bring some sanity to this vanity project.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here