Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If neutral grounds are used for the whole of next season, could fixture numbers be cut in half by only playing every team once?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
Yes, of course.

Until we know when this season is ending, though, and when next season can start, it is pretty difficult to know how many games can be scheduled.

Maybe a 19 game season starting in January 2021 will be all we can do ?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Do the police really think that 30K+ fans are going to turn up to the Amex, having travelled on (very limited) public transport for a behind closed doors game that we can't get into?? :rolleyes:

Meanwhile....back in the real world............

It’s very unfortunate that the top copper talking about this and telling football to get a grip comes from the most discredited force in the country when it comes to treating football fans as responsible adults.

South Yorkshire police have a terrible record, from Hillsborough right up to the last couple of seasons.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Sky are reporting the Premier League are going to warn clubs against voting down the neutral grounds plan.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...warn-clubs-over-voting-against-neutral-venues

Looks like the PL are planning on next season starting at neutral venues too (or at least using it as a threat to get clubs to conform), and if the option doesn't get enough support then they won't restart this season and it looks like next season will be delayed, at least that is my interpretation of the report.

Are the PL even considering any options beyond the neutral ground idea? I believe the bottom 6 will vote against it, but everyone else will vote for it, giving it the 14 votes it needs anyway, but a pretty poor show from the PL basically saying we hold all the cards and you'll do as we say.

Starting next season at neutral venues is an entirely different issue. That’s fine if it’s the same for everyone ALL season.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I dont have a problem with whatever changes are needed next season as its a fresh start.

It is blatantly wrong though to be moving the goal posts halfway through this season though. Either find a way to finish this season properly, however long that may take or scrap it altogether.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Starting next season at neutral venues is an entirely different issue. That’s fine if it’s the same for everyone ALL season.

That isn't the issue, although if next season starts at neutral grounds, then the whole season needs to be played that way, whatever format the season may take. The issue is the thinly veiled threat that if the clubs don't vote through neutral grounds for this season then it will cause problems and delays for next season. It's effectively saying you can have a vote but only if you vote for what we want.

Of course the PL also know that they will be seriously financially hurt by further delays next season just as much as the clubs will be so hopefully it's just them flexing some muscle, and their will be a separate discussion on plans for next season.

As I said I fully expect the 14 clubs who aren't under threat of relegation to vote through the proposal anyway.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
They could have the first 19 games of next season at neutral grounds behind closed doors, then split the league in January 2021 into top and bottom halfs ( see Scotland ) with 9 home games and 9 away games against teams in the same half.

They'd need to draw a line under this season though as soon as possible, to allow proper planning to take place.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Sorry that’s just a lazy reply, two months off !
Lockdown unable to go anywhere like the rest of us, possibly unable to see family further away than most of us in foreign countries.
I like millions of others and probably you have been in lockdown, I would not call it a break, home schooling, dealing with stress anxiety and death.

Hardly feet up.

Fair enough.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Whenever the remainder of the season kicks off I've still got the feeling that our close opposition will have all their previously injured players available for selection, fit and well, recovered from injury and ready to go, whilst ours will still be recovering, unavailable, with their return "imminent".
I reckon we should delay the re-start until next year (at least) if we're looking to include Izquierdo.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Whenever the remainder of the season kicks off I've still got the feeling that our close opposition will have all their previously injured players available for selection, fit and well, recovered from injury and ready to go, whilst ours will still be recovering, unavailable, with their return "imminent".
I reckon we should delay the re-start until next year (at least) if we're looking to include Izquierdo.

Is Ryan back in the UK?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
now going to change rules. 5 subs will be allowed and maybe no VAR.. I assume they think may be dangerous for some players or some not fit How can you take these last 9 games seriously when everything is so different to rest of season

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I tuned in too late, about the time that zzzzz Jenas and Hoddle were allowed to turn it into a Spuds love in. Jenas also played the union card by obsessively defending his old team mate Kyle Walker.

What was said?

I didnt listen that long as it was just churning over the same stuff they’ve discussed all week.. the bit i did hear was about PB not being in favour of games on neutral grounds and they posed the question should a club be bothered about missing out on home gamers....Jenas was asked whether it was much of an advantage to a home team If there were no crowds..he started quite negatively but talked himself round to playing at home being an advantage even if it was behind closed doors...was quite amusing

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
now going to change rules. 5 subs will be allowed and maybe no VAR.. I assume they think may be dangerous for some players or some not fit How can you take these last 9 games seriously when everything is so different to rest of season

If there was only one Division eg like the various top football codes in Australia and the only penalty for coming last was the shame of getting the wooden spoon then sure change the rules so we can get a result, but this is not the case. If they want to do this, take relegation of the table, find a way to promote either 2 or 4 teams from the Championship and have more relegated next year.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If there was only one Division eg like the various top football codes in Australia and the only penalty for coming last was the shame of getting the wooden spoon then sure change the rules so we can get a result, but this is not the case. If they want to do this, take relegation of the table, find a way to promote either 2 or 4 teams from the Championship and have more relegated next year.

The paymasters BT and Sky, owed £750m by the clubs, by all accounts are insisting on relegations this season.

DEB5D08F-08DD-4C7A-8372-18169FB08144.png

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Wow, what dickheads.

I read somewhere that a 24 team Pl would pretty much make up the lost tv game revenue rights from this season and could be a way to placate the sponsors

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here