Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
They've just had 2+ months off, feet up on lockdown.

Sorry that’s just a lazy reply, two months off !
Lockdown unable to go anywhere like the rest of us, possibly unable to see family further away than most of us in foreign countries.
I like millions of others and probably you have been in lockdown, I would not call it a break, home schooling, dealing with stress anxiety and death.

Hardly feet up.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Do the police really think that 30K+ fans are going to turn up to the Amex, having travelled on (very limited) public transport for a behind closed doors game that we can't get into?? :rolleyes:

Meanwhile....back in the real world............

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Do the police really think that 30K+ fans are going to turn up to the Amex, having travelled on (very limited) public transport for a behind closed doors game that we can't get into?? :rolleyes:

The Albion won't be the problem in that sense so you're looking for the problem in the wrong place. Now Liverpool might be a different ball game.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

No. But I would not want to be anywhere in Liverpool when they win the title. Playing at Anfield will exacerbate the problem. Thousands will flood the streets. That will happen in Leeds and WBA if they achieve promotion as well. I am against neutral venues btw but can only see problems with playing at home for many teams.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And convesrely, I wonder if you would have the same view if you were where Leeds are.

Certainly I would think the same as I do now if Burnley were in the bottom three. The bottom three are probably going down if we don't play on. I suspect Brighton would have the same attitude too if you were in the bottom three. The reason Brighton would prefer to shut down the league rather than play on neutral grounds is nothing at all to do with the principle of all moving to neutral grounds being wrong; it's entirely to do with being just outside the bottom three and so you want to keep it that way.

It makes sense that teams want to play at home. It makes sense that Brighton want to do what they can to play at home if possible. I think the reasons for playing on neutral grounds are insufficient and I think they could play at home. But where it doesn't make sense is to say that if we can't play at home, we won't play at all. At least, unlike the Withdean period, everyone else is in the same boat this time.

If Burnley were in Brighton's position, I hope I would be able to see that attempting to run the PL on the grounds of what's best for Burnley and to hell with the rest, is a bit short sighted. The PL should never have been set up, and if it was set up it shouldn't have been done on the basis that a relatively small number of clubs can play merry hell with the system and the fans and the other clubs purely on the grounds of self-interest.

Mmmmm......yyyy...no.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Sky are reporting the Premier League are going to warn clubs against voting down the neutral grounds plan.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...warn-clubs-over-voting-against-neutral-venues

However, they will be warned that the protocols for games restarting could be in place for the start of next season, so they need to think about the long-term consequences of voting against playing at neutral grounds.

Looks like the PL are planning on next season starting at neutral venues too (or at least using it as a threat to get clubs to conform), and if the option doesn't get enough support then they won't restart this season and it looks like next season will be delayed, at least that is my interpretation of the report.

Are the PL even considering any options beyond the neutral ground idea? I believe the bottom 6 will vote against it, but everyone else will vote for it, giving it the 14 votes it needs anyway, but a pretty poor show from the PL basically saying we hold all the cards and you'll do as we say.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Sky are reporting the Premier League are going to warn clubs against voting down the neutral grounds plan.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...warn-clubs-over-voting-against-neutral-venues

Looks like the PL are planning on next season starting at neutral venues too (or at least using it as a threat to get clubs to conform), and if the option doesn't get enough support then they won't restart this season and it looks like next season will be delayed, at least that is my interpretation of the report.

Are the PL even considering any options beyond the neutral ground idea? I believe the bottom 6 will vote against it, but everyone else will vote for it, giving it the 14 votes it needs anyway, but a pretty poor show from the PL basically saying we hold all the cards and you'll do as we say.

I think the EPL are missing the point (probably deliberately) - Barber isn't against it because of the practical/policing issue - it's about fairness. If next season starts with neutral venues WITH EVERYONE KNOWING THE SITUATION, this is very different to a sudden change three quarters of the way through a season.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

It's a very different thing if all clubs played at neutral grounds at the beginning of next season..( although I don't honestly see the sense in that ). If that's the biggest threat the Premier League can come up with I doubt Barber will be bending.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I see there's also the possibility of no VAR. Just shows how removed the administrators are from being fans of the game. The major problem with VAR is that no-one in the stadium knows what's going on. Now the stadiums are going to be empty, VAR will actually be useful - so they are considering getting rid of it!!!

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
No. But I would not want to be anywhere in Liverpool when they win the title. Playing at Anfield will exacerbate the problem. Thousands will flood the streets. That will happen in Leeds and WBA if they achieve promotion as well. I am against neutral venues btw but can only see problems with playing at home for many teams.

Indeed. The streets of Liverpool will be flooded even if they play their title winning game in Timbuktu. And the chances are that it won’t be long after the restart. There will then be calls to cease matches.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
It's a very different thing if all clubs played at neutral grounds at the beginning of next season..( although I don't honestly see the sense in that ). If that's the biggest threat the Premier League can come up with I doubt Barber will be bending.

The same argument will still apply though, you start the season in neutral venues then change half way through the integrity of the competition is still effected. It will still create that uneven playing field that Barber is against this season. The only way to make it fair would be have every game next season played at neutral grounds.

I believe the PL are trying to use the threat of next season not starting and all the financial problems that would bring as a way of forcing through the neutral venue idea for the rest of this season.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

The PL is essentially a governing body with 20 shareholders, so the PL doesn't hold all the cards the clubs each hold one twentieth of the card each.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Indeed. The streets of Liverpool will be flooded even if they play their title winning game in Timbuktu. And the chances are that it won’t be long after the restart. There will then be calls to cease matches.

At which point it would be best not to be in the bottom 3.

So we are potentially looking at just 2-3 more rounds of games.

Albion would need 4 points ( worst case ) from the first 2 games, or 7 points ( worst case ) from the first 3 games.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

5live indicated on Monday that 2020/21 will kick off in neutral grounds. With no supporters until far off into the future.

Whether we’re in the Championship or PL next season, I can’t see many complaints regarding either of those two conditions.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I see there's also the possibility of no VAR. Just shows how removed the administrators are from being fans of the game. The major problem with VAR is that no-one in the stadium knows what's going on. Now the stadiums are going to be empty, VAR will actually be useful - so they are considering getting rid of it!!!

Isn’t the major problem with VAR that it churns out blatantly wrong decisions, despite the video ref having umpteenth views and angles?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
And nobody seems to think the Championship clubs should be considering the same. Why not?

Leeds, West Brom, Forrest, Derby, Sheff Wed etc etc are all as big a clubs as many in the Prem - surely there is as much chance their fans might congregate around their grounds on a match day if not played at Neutral Venues. Why should the Prem to do this and not the Championship?

The same reasons are as valid in the Championship too. Or do the powers at be just think Leeds fans for example are wonderfully behaved and wouldn't dream of turning up at Elland road if their side was playing? Am I missing something?

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
If neutral grounds are used for the whole of next season, could fixture numbers be cut in half by only playing every team once?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here