Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
They can’t be obliged to.....no chance

Also, imagine the public reaction.....’sorry, we’ve got to close the Covid testing facility at the Amex next week because Sheffield United are playing Burnley’.
I'd like to see them try to spin that one lol.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The FA? They didn’t say but they showed a video of the Amex pre game and only mentioned Albion by name. The WTF was because I don’t get how we and the other clubs could be sanctioned for not agreeing with the neutral ground suggestion. It’s a really really shit idea anyway

Dan Ashworth was interviewed briefly. Should be on again soon for anyone who wants to watch.

Very much this. Can't see loads of clubs being happy with this idea even in the Championship too. Luton, Charlton and Barnsley I'm sure would prefer to play out their last home games at their own grounds. It wouldn't just be us in Prem who don't like this idea.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But there is the possibility it still may be unable to finish and prudence would suggest having clauses in a contract to cater for this type of eventuality are a no brainer! If everyone knows at the start of the season then we wouldn't have this discussion now about how to end the season. For example, if, once x number of games have been completed the rules say the league is as it is at that point, then Liverpool would be champions and the bottom three relegated. Alternatively, you state whatever way they agree to conclude the season. Everyone knows at the start. The clubs, the players, the tv companies. This is why the EPL and their Lawyers have cocked up big time.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing. I doubt a global pandemic was in anybody's mind when the season started. Had it been, no doubt the government (and governments around the world) would have had adequate supplies of PPE, Ventilators and would have been working flat out to solve the problems that as yet did not exist.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Prem/FL plan to finish season behind closed doors in JULY

Talk of sanctions this morning on BBC news if Albion and other teams continue to fight the neutral ground suggestion. WTF?

I imagine they are on deadlock about the idea with a number of clubs (which I would guess include the bottom 3) involved. I would also assume the ‘threat’ being referred to was the idea of settling the table as it sits (or about points per game) as a means of trying to force the bottom 3 to change vote. If as expected the Gov give the green light for an end of June start they are running out of time to agree a solution which is why the pressure to agree would be mounting.

Barber is right on this one if closed doors why not your own stadia and there are other leagues he can point to who are managing to plan on this basis so we would rightly argue it is possible.

All of that said even if they agree the idea it will never get off the ground or conclude as the virus will have the last say on this anyway

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing. I doubt a global pandemic was in anybody's mind when the season started. Had it been, no doubt the government (and governments around the world) would have had adequate supplies of PPE, Ventilators and would have been working flat out to solve the problems that as yet did not exist.

Disaster planning is a large part of many industries. For example City banks have entire alternative workplaces in various London satellite towns and various staff members have to head down there once a year to test systems.There are other examples such as force majeure clauses in contracts that I mentioned above. Given the turnover of football clubs it is not just in hindsight that disaster planning looks a good idea.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Disaster planning is a large part of many industries. For example City banks have entire alternative workplaces in various London satellite towns and various staff members have to head down there once a year to test systems.There are other examples such as force majeure clauses in contracts that I mentioned above. Given the turnover of football clubs it is not just in hindsight that disaster planning looks a good idea.

I am not suggesting to you or to [MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] that what he said or you backed up, is wrong. Just that much of our world has been caught on the hop with the virus. One would indeed think the league would have contingency plans but there again they are not known for their clear-thinking and progressive ideas.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I imagine they are on deadlock about the idea with a number of clubs (which I would guess include the bottom 3) involved. I would also assume the ‘threat’ being referred to was the idea of settling the table as it sits (or about points per game) as a means of trying to force the bottom 3 to change vote. If as expected the Gov give the green light for an end of June start they are running out of time to agree a solution which is why the pressure to agree would be mounting.

Barber is right on this one if closed doors why not your own stadia and there are other leagues he can point to who are managing to plan on this basis so we would rightly argue it is possible.

All of that said even if they agree the idea it will never get off the ground or conclude as the virus will have the last say on this anyway

The danger/prospect/inevitability of the virus "intervening" in the next few months is one of the key reasons (for me) the 2019/20 season should be abandoned ASAP, and all efforts focussed on NEXT season. Given potential disruptions, it seems logical to try to start the 20/21 season at the earliest opportunity. Theoretically you could start the season in early/mid July and give yourself time to cater for enforced breaks (whilst one or more teams needs to stop playing). If we don't re-start 2019/20 until late June there is ZERO opportunity for any breaks if they want to complete it by end-July, which I think is UEFA's deadline. In fact, they will playing three times a week possibly for part of the time. What will Guardiola say about that??!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The danger/prospect/inevitability of the virus "intervening" in the next few months is one of the key reasons (for me) the 2019/20 season should be abandoned ASAP, and all efforts focussed on NEXT season. Given potential disruptions, it seems logical to try to start the 20/21 season at the earliest opportunity. Theoretically you could start the season in early/mid July and give yourself time to cater for enforced breaks (whilst one or more teams needs to stop playing). If we don't re-start 2019/20 until late June there is ZERO opportunity for any breaks if they want to complete it by end-July, which I think is UEFA's deadline. In fact, they will playing three times a week possibly for part of the time. What will Guardiola say about that??!!

Exactly, carrying on with the season at the moment is a bit like playing Russian Roulette with the virus. Madness imo

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

Foresight is an even better thing. [MENTION=1890]blue-shifted[/MENTION] s excellent post #1967 explains. It could be some simple resolution to the season that everyone is aware of beforehand, but 99 years out of 100 is not applicable. The lack of leadership from the Premier league is criminal.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
This question has probably been asked a thousand times already , but in all honesty i doubt i will be going to watch live football any time soon , even if i'm told by some mad hypocritical scientist it's fine .

So my question is would you go to the match if the government say it's fine to do so in say June for arguments sake ? and for those who take their children will you go but leave them at home , apologies if there's a thread asking the same Q , i couldn't find it among the many CV19 threads .

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
And how does that help? What is your definition of "the season being unable to finish"? Because as it stands at present, the season looks like it is able to finish. So your rule would make absolutely no difference to the current position.

It doesn't help the current season because of the lack of contingency planning, and to alter the essence of the competition with a quarter of matches to be played is unfair.
If next season were to get underway vaguely on schedule, there could be some provision or clause saying that some matches may be moved to neutral venues - everyone knows beforehand and accepts it, and you avoid the mess we have now

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This question has probably been asked a thousand times already , but in all honesty i doubt i will be going to watch live football any time soon , even if i'm told by some mad hypocritical scientist it's fine .

So my question is would you go to the match if the government say it's fine to do so in say June for arguments sake ? and for those who take their children will you go but leave them at home , apologies if there's a thread asking the same Q , i couldn't find it among the many CV19 threads .

There is not a cat's chance in hell that the govt will say that, but if they did, then my answer would be a firm 'NO.'

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So, here’s a suggestion...

Given that all the media, and ‘spokespersons’, and thick Sky talking heads, are adamant that with no crowd, there is no advantage to playing at home, over a neutral ground....

...I propose that we agree to the neutral grounds concept, if the PL schedules all 9 of our remaining fixtures at the Amex. Given the above nonsense attitudes, what is the argument against it?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
So let’s say we finish the season by the end of July, then a weeks break then the new season starts. Hell players will have literally no time to recover and they already complain of too many matches in a season. By the time the Euros come round next spring players will be on their knees, I can see a revolt.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
So, here’s a suggestion...

Given that all the media, and ‘spokespersons’, and thick Sky talking heads, are adamant that with no crowd, there is no advantage to playing at home, over a neutral ground....

...I propose that we agree to the neutral grounds concept, if the PL schedules all 9 of our remaining fixtures at the Amex. Given the above nonsense attitudes, what is the argument against it?

Have you a link to someone sayng this? I've heard a lot of arguments that says playing on neutral grounds is better than not playing at all, and that it affects all teams and not just Brighton. Who's arguing that home advantage in an empty stadium makes no difference at all?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who's arguing that home advantage in an empty stadium makes no difference at all?

Well somebody must be otherwise they wouldn’t have come up with such a half baked idea.

Albion vs Liverpool at Villa Park, for example, would get just as many Villa fans congregating hoping for a Liverpool win as Albion fans turning up at the Amex imo

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It doesn't help the current season because of the lack of contingency planning, and to alter the essence of the competition with a quarter of matches to be played is unfair.
If next season were to get underway vaguely on schedule, there could be some provision or clause saying that some matches may be moved to neutral venues - everyone knows beforehand and accepts it, and you avoid the mess we have now

There is already precedent for playing on neutral grounds when home grounds aren't available. Man United played an entire season at Maine Road, for example, when their ground was closed. Even now, Coventry play in Birmingham. It is very well established that when a club's ground is unavailable, they have to play somewhere else.

Does it make it different that the whole league is equally affected?

The member of the National Police Chief's Council responsible for football policing (Mark Roberts) says playing at home would put an impracticable burden on councils and the emergency services. The government, allegedly, says that playing at neutral venues is the only way they will allow the league to carry on. Which means that Brighton, along with every other club in the league, can't play at its home ground and therefore, under established precedent, will play somewhere else.

If your MD can persuade the Brighton police and the government that Brighton (perhaps uniquely) is a safe place for the home team to play, then you can take your case a bit further. If, as it appears at present, that Brighton do not have police authority to play at home, then that's an end of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here