Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Well somebody must be otherwise they wouldn’t have come up with such a half baked idea.

Albion vs Liverpool at Villa Park, for example, would get just as many Villa fans congregating hoping for a Liverpool win as Albion fans turning up at the Amex imo
As far as I can see, the multitude of "talking heads" that you haven't quoted are arguing that playing at neutral grounds doesn't disadvantage Brighton any more than it disadvantages everyone else.

Like you, I don't particularly agree the point at issue, but if that's how it is, then that's how it is. There is a lot about lockdown that doesn't coincide with how I would have done it, but that doesn't mean I can do it my way rather than the government's. Exceptional times lead to exceptional circumstances, and I think making the best of it is a better option than saying it's not perfect so we'll give up.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There is already precedent for playing on neutral grounds when home grounds aren't available. Man United played an entire season at Maine Road, for example, when their ground was closed. Even now, Coventry play in Birmingham. It is very well established that when a club's ground is unavailable, they have to play somewhere else.

Does it make it different that the whole league is equally affected?

The member of the National Police Chief's Council responsible for football policing (Mark Roberts) says playing at home would put an impracticable burden on councils and the emergency services. The government, allegedly, says that playing at neutral venues is the only way they will allow the league to carry on. Which means that Brighton, along with every other club in the league, can't play at its home ground and therefore, under established precedent, will play somewhere else.

If your MD can persuade the Brighton police and the government that Brighton (perhaps uniquely) is a safe place for the home team to play, then you can take your case a bit further. If, as it appears at present, that Brighton do not have police authority to play at home, then that's an end of it.

Really? Teaching grandmother to suck eggs springs to mind

Oh and note the two other words in bold ...not quite the end of it

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
As far as I can see, the multitude of "talking heads" that you haven't quoted are arguing that playing at neutral grounds doesn't disadvantage Brighton any more than it disadvantages everyone else.

Like you, I don't particularly agree the point at issue, but if that's how it is, then that's how it is. There is a lot about lockdown that doesn't coincide with how I would have done it, but that doesn't mean I can do it my way rather than the government's. Exceptional times lead to exceptional circumstances, and I think making the best of it is a better option than saying it's not perfect so we'll give up.

"Making the best of it" during a worldwide pandemic. I give up.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
There is already precedent for playing on neutral grounds when home grounds aren't available. Man United played an entire season at Maine Road, for example, when their ground was closed. Even now, Coventry play in Birmingham. It is very well established that when a club's ground is unavailable, they have to play somewhere else.

The member of the National Police Chief's Council responsible for football policing (Mark Roberts) says playing at home would put an impracticable burden on councils and the emergency services. The government, allegedly, says that playing at neutral venues is the only way they will allow the league to carry on. Which means that Brighton, along with every other club in the league, can't play at its home ground and therefore, under established precedent, will play somewhere else.

If your MD can persuade the Brighton police and the government that Brighton (perhaps uniquely) is a safe place for the home team to play, then you can take your case a bit further. If, as it appears at present, that Brighton do not have police authority to play at home, then that's an end of it.

You makes I larf.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
This guy seems to be talking sense-

Annotation 2020-05-08 111419.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...football-police-commander-premier-league-fans

I appreciate the neutral grounds thing is just an option being discussed but it sounds like overkill- addressing a problem which may never happen. Just play at the intended grounds and cordon off the area around the grounds. Any fans who turn up deserve to be carted away by the Police- I can't see many trying it.

The Prem need to just start investing their time in looking at what all the other European countries are doing to re-start and learn from that.

The actual decision whether to allow re-start will be taken by Government so the Prem etc. just need to get solid plans together for Government approval. Replicating the German model would be a good start- then adjust it based on any issues which emerge from all the European Leagues which are re-starting before the Prem.

June re-start is now looking 90% plus likely IMHO.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

If the seven clubs, who are the ones most at risk of being affected by this idea, are against it then it’s got to be considered a non starter imo

Those who aren’t likely to be affected by relegation obviously don’t give a shit, they just want to finish the season and hang onto all the money they might have to lose if the season isn’t finished. No brainer that Burnley and Palace etc will go along with the idea

I wonder if you’d have the same attitude if Burnley were in the bottom three with 5 home games left from 9

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

You're preaching to a set of fans who ended up playing at a ground 74 miles away as their "home" and a run down athletics track. We may understand the merits of having your own home to play your home games than you.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
You're preaching to a set of fans who ended up playing at a ground 74 miles away as their "home" and a run down athletics track. We may understand the merits of having your own home to play your home games than you.

Absolutely this. There can be no better argument than one where experience is at the cornerstone.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
If the seven clubs, who are the ones most at risk of being affected by this idea, are against it then it’s got to be considered a non starter imo

Those who aren’t likely to be affected by relegation obviously don’t give a shit, they just want to finish the season and hang onto all the money they might have to lose if the season isn’t finished. No brainer that Burnley and Palace etc will go along with the idea

I wonder if you’d have the same attitude if Burnley were in the bottom three with 5 home games left from 9

And convesrely, I wonder if you would have the same view if you were where Leeds are.

Certainly I would think the same as I do now if Burnley were in the bottom three. The bottom three are probably going down if we don't play on. I suspect Brighton would have the same attitude too if you were in the bottom three. The reason Brighton would prefer to shut down the league rather than play on neutral grounds is nothing at all to do with the principle of all moving to neutral grounds being wrong; it's entirely to do with being just outside the bottom three and so you want to keep it that way.

It makes sense that teams want to play at home. It makes sense that Brighton want to do what they can to play at home if possible. I think the reasons for playing on neutral grounds are insufficient and I think they could play at home. But where it doesn't make sense is to say that if we can't play at home, we won't play at all. At least, unlike the Withdean period, everyone else is in the same boat this time.

If Burnley were in Brighton's position, I hope I would be able to see that attempting to run the PL on the grounds of what's best for Burnley and to hell with the rest, is a bit short sighted. The PL should never have been set up, and if it was set up it shouldn't have been done on the basis that a relatively small number of clubs can play merry hell with the system and the fans and the other clubs purely on the grounds of self-interest.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
And convesrely, I wonder if you would have the same view if you were where Leeds are.

Certainly I would think the same as I do now if Burnley were in the bottom three. The bottom three are probably going down if we don't play on. I suspect Brighton would have the same attitude too if you were in the bottom three. The reason Brighton would prefer to shut down the league rather than play on neutral grounds is nothing at all to do with the principle of all moving to neutral grounds being wrong; it's entirely to do with being just outside the bottom three and so you want to keep it that way.

It makes sense that teams want to play at home. It makes sense that Brighton want to do what they can to play at home if possible. I think the reasons for playing on neutral grounds are insufficient and I think they could play at home. But where it doesn't make sense is to say that if we can't play at home, we won't play at all. At least, unlike the Withdean period, everyone else is in the same boat this time.

If Burnley were in Brighton's position, I hope I would be able to see that attempting to run the PL on the grounds of what's best for Burnley and to hell with the rest, is a bit short sighted. The PL should never have been set up, and if it was set up it shouldn't have been done on the basis that a relatively small number of clubs can play merry hell with the system and the fans and the other clubs purely on the grounds of self-interest.

So Brighton and the others should just accept the self interest of Burnley and other clubs whose only motivation is pocketing the tv money ? No thanks.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

You seem to know a hell of a lot about what we think and what we understand by the situation.
Personally, I wouldn't have the arrogance if it was about another team.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
So let’s say we finish the season by the end of July, then a weeks break then the new season starts. Hell players will have literally no time to recover and they already complain of too many matches in a season. By the time the Euros come round next spring players will be on their knees, I can see a revolt.

They've just had 2+ months off, feet up on lockdown.

Even if they played the end of this Premier League season and then carried straight on into next season they would play fewer consecutive games than a regular Championship season, if you added playoff matches.

This is a silly argument anyway. They should scrap relegation, promote 2 additional teams and redirect the unused parachute payments to save the lower league clubs who will inevitably go bust due to the pandemic.

Sky and BT will get the lost matches from this season back from an increase next season and the football league is saved from disaster.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Even if they played the end of this Premier League season and then carried straight on into next season they would play fewer consecutive games than a regular Championship season, if you added playoff matches.

This is a silly argument anyway. They should scrap relegation, promote 2 additional teams and redirect the unused parachute payments to save the lower league clubs who will inevitably go bust due to the pandemic.

Sky and BT will get the lost matches from this season back from an increase next season and the football league is saved from disaster.

Common sense approach. I’m guessing you don’t work within the ‘football industry.’
I would just add; scrap the current season immediately to avoid football becoming part of the second wave of Covid 19 problem. If football thinks it has problems now.....

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011

There is a month break in August for all teams who are no longer in European competitions. The UEFA competition games are running through August - so the new Prem season will not be able to start until September.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Please find a direct quote from Paul Barber where he has said we won't play at all if we can't play at home. It's quite clear that the club will play under whatever conditions are voted for, but that doesn't mean they can't voice an opinion, and Paul Barbers job first and foremost to protect the interests of the club he is vice-chairman and CEO of.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The PL should never have been set up, and if it was set up it shouldn't have been done on the basis that a relatively small number of clubs can play merry hell with the system and the fans and the other clubs purely on the grounds of self-interest.

That's exactly why it was set up, just not for the likes Brighton or Burnley but the total greed of the big 6

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Please find a direct quote from Paul Barber where he has said we won't play at all if we can't play at home. It's quite clear that the club will go with whatever the eventual plan is, but that doesn't mean they can't voice an opinion, and Paul Barbers job first and foremost to protect the interests of the club he is vice-chairman and CEO of.

That's probably because he hasn't said that anywhere and people just enjoy embellishing the press reports with their own opinions

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
There is already precedent for playing on neutral grounds when home grounds aren't available. Man United played an entire season at Maine Road, for example, when their ground was closed.

FFS !

Old Trafford was so badly bombed in 1941 they had to wait until 1949 before it was rebuilt. They had no choice but to play at Maine Road. They just popped across the city of Manchester to play. Theyalso played in front of their own fervent supporters.

I don't know who is paying you to keep posting your shite on here, but don't you think it is time you wasted your time on other Football Clubs forums....or maybe do something useful with your time ? Something like pop up the road to Blackburn and fill-in some of their potholes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here