Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I see the government is about to bring in quarantine for arrivals from outside the UK (even UK nationals). I assume this means that no British team can continue to take part in the Champions League or Europa League this season (assuming they take place)....I don’t see how a whole team can self-isolate for 14 days after (say) playing a CL match in Germany, without being completely unable to play the next game. Or perhaps they just hunker down in Europe somewhere?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I see the government is about to bring in quarantine for arrivals from outside the UK (even UK nationals). I assume this means that no British team can continue to take part in the Champions League or Europa League this season (assuming they take place)....I don’t see how a whole team can self-isolate for 14 days after (say) playing a CL match in Germany, without being completely unable to play the next game. Or perhaps they just hunker down in Europe somewhere?

The current plan for the Champions League and Europa League is for them to take place in August once domestic leagues have been completed. Which is why UEFA are pushing for decisions to be made on restarts to enusre clubs are free to play in the CL/EL.

Travel across Europe is still going to be a problem, with some countries closing their borders, others imposing 14 days quarantine periods on arrival, it virtually rules out the competitions being completed in their regular two legged matches. The talk is of single elimination games and neutral venues.

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012

I guess this may not apply to the clubs and PL if a rigorous testing schedule is put in place and they can evidence people are not infectious.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Wow, what dickheads.

I read somewhere that a 24 team Pl would pretty much make up the lost tv game revenue rights from this season and could be a way to placate the sponsors

I thought that initially. I’m wondering though whether their thinking is that extra games next season won’t attract back subscribers who have left (as they will already have returned with the season underway). What the broadcasters need is a competition this side of the Summer to sign people up as early as possible. That’s why money rather than health is talking in this debate.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
I thought that initially. I’m wondering though whether their thinking is that extra games next season won’t attract back subscribers who have left (as they will already have returned with the season underway). What the broadcasters need is a competition this side of the Summer to sign people up as early as possible. That’s why money rather than health is talking in this debate.

I agree, Sky will have to introduce a separate Football package though, I have taken advantage of the break they offered and I cancelled BT Sport, I think it will be a slow burner getting people to sign up again.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
now going to change rules. 5 subs will be allowed and maybe no VAR.. I assume they think may be dangerous for some players or some not fit How can you take these last 9 games seriously when everything is so different to rest of season
They may play the games, but one thing you cannot do is take the games seriously.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Maty and Jose need to get back sharpish then.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
BBC reporting it's not coming in until the end of May, giving us 3 weeks to get any players currently in their home countries back to the UK.

I imagine any players abroad will now be returning ASAP with training re-commencing.

Liverpool apparently back at training already, and Man U and Wolves say they are back on Monday.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
"There are fears that as many as 50 players could dent Premier League's Project Restart plan by refusing to return to action due to concerns over their safety." Daily Mail

The Mirror report that one club executive feels there could 'two or three' players from every club that decides against returning to complete the 2019-20 season.

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero is among the players to have gone public with his concerns but others, such as West Ham's Manuel Lanzini - who believes action should not resume until a vaccine is available -

have also spoken out but neither have said they would snub any return.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I still fail to see how showing a whole bunch of PL fixtures live on tv through the summer months is compatible with managing the spread of this virus. We all know that there will be countless football parties and BBQs, risking all the sacrifices that have been made so far. It’s reckless.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
"There are fears that as many as 50 players could dent Premier League's Project Restart plan by refusing to return to action due to concerns over their safety." Daily Mail

The Mirror report that one club executive feels there could 'two or three' players from every club that decides against returning to complete the 2019-20 season.

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero is among the players to have gone public with his concerns but others, such as West Ham's Manuel Lanzini - who believes action should not resume until a vaccine is available -

have also spoken out but neither have said they would snub any return.

We might have to go for 5 a side then?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Ben Mee of Burnley who want the end of the season so they can use their boring, attritional football to finish as high as they can. The sooner Dyche sods off and the core of their aging team depart the better.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
In fairness I think there are two things in play here.
Firstly is it appropriate to have such a high impact outcome such as relegation dependent on an unfair option of playing at neutral venues. Watford have now joined us and Aston Villa in openly opposing this. Today’s BBC article says that others are also opposed to it.

Secondly, could EPL football be played so long as dangers are mitigated to such a degree that it is deemed acceptable to play games behind closed doors/ at neutral venues. If it can be, but issues such as relegation don’t depend on the results then would it actually be worth the effort. Perhaps so just for letting the country see that certain aspects of normal life are returning.

I expect the easiest and safest outcome will be to void the season, and let someone in power decide how placings, relegation, European Qualification are sorted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here