Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Ben Mee of Burnley who want the end of the season so they can use their boring, attritional football to finish as high as they can. The sooner Dyche sods off and the core of their aging team depart the better.

I have quite a bit of admiration for Dyche - he has worked miracles with Burnley. But he out-whinges Mourinho, and Burnley's style of football is appalling. It was quite funny listening to the latest Football Weekly podcast talking about the proposal to reduce the length of matches. Barry Glendenning was asked how long he would like Burnley v Crystal Palace to last - his response "about 15 minutes".

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Surely a decision will be made on Monday after the announcement on Sunday night from Boris.
From all accounts the easing of the lockdown will be incremental, meaning that any occupation where social distancing can’t be guaranteed will be on a needs only basis eg doctors/ nurses.
How can footballers be told to get on with it when millions of others are being told to stay at home. In today’s papers (if you believe them) it says that at least 50 players have stated that they would object to playing. If this is the case then it’s surely season over.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Surely a decision will be made on Monday after the announcement on Sunday night from Boris.
From all accounts the easing of the lockdown will be incremental, meaning that any occupation where social distancing can’t be guaranteed will be on a needs only basis eg doctors/ nurses.
How can footballers be told to get on with it when millions of others are being told to stay at home. In today’s papers (if you believe them) it says that at least 50 players have stated that they would object to playing. If this is the case then it’s surely season over.

Theres reports that the final vote is due on may 18th which seems a bit ridiculous

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I haven’t read all 100 plus pages on this thread, but, if the problem in not ending the season now is the tv contracts, why not just extend the present contracts for a further 12 months, with no extra payments.
The PL clubs would take a hit, but, how many are relying on money from the next contract to continue? If they were to give tv a free year of football coverage, Shirley this would sort out this problem.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

The tricky thing is we’re not talking about matches resuming now. We’re looking at 4-6+ weeks away. It could well be the case that within 6 weeks, a large percentage of the country is back working. As we know, the situation changes massively from week to week currently.

In which case, it might feel a bit odd if football - a short outdoor activity that is FAR safer than thousands on public transport for hours a day - wasn’t happening, while lots of higher risk activities are, a lot of which have far less economic benefit to the economy.

Come June/July, if the PL season is cancelled I could actually see quite a lot of resentment towards footballers for a perception they are staying home and continuing to collect massive wages whilst not doing anything, while “the rest of us” (it won’t be the rest of us, but a decent percentage) are back out working.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Watford Chairman

Against a backdrop of players who, having seen their lives turned upside down along with the rest of the world, are suddenly expected to perform as if nothing has happened, despite the rest of society still facing the kind of restrictions unenforceable on a football pitch

And with all these compromises and health risks we are asked to finish a competition that bears no resemblance to the one we started, which could end a small club like Watford’s time in the Premier League

https://www.watfordfc.com/news/club/premier-league-chairmans-statement

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Not really. It's not much more than 2.5 players per squad from the 19 teams that it may apply to (Burnley players seem to be immune from such timidity; they appear to have all said there is no problem with playing). And assuming that all the players who don't want to play will agree to go on furlough or take furlough equivalent wages, then it's a useful cost saving for their clubs.

Yes, I know footballers are very important people who should be expected to work like the rest of society. But above all, they should know that if they don't work, they don't get paid footballer money. They get paid furlough money.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Watford Chairman

Against a backdrop of players who, having seen their lives turned upside down along with the rest of the world, are suddenly expected to perform as if nothing has happened, despite the rest of society still facing the kind of restrictions unenforceable on a football pitch

And with all these compromises and health risks we are asked to finish a competition that bears no resemblance to the one we started, which could end a small club like Watford’s time in the Premier League

No resemblance? That's clutching at straws. Playing away to Norwich in London with no crowd may be different from playing away to Norwich at Carrow Road with a crowd; but it's not "no resemblance". Football is football.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I haven’t read all 100 plus pages on this thread, but, if the problem in not ending the season now is the tv contracts, why not just extend the present contracts for a further 12 months, with no extra payments.
The PL clubs would take a hit, but, how many are relying on money from the next contract to continue? If they were to give tv a free year of football coverage, Shirley this would sort out this problem.

I've been wondering something similar. Instead of giving them a whole extra year, why not just give them extra matches when the game is back up an running? There are X number of televised games they had paid for for this season, add them onto next season (or whenever the game is up and running). There are so few 3pm Saturday kick offs in the premier league that moving an extra game or two a week wouldn't make too big a difference, and it should be more easily accepted by fans if it's made clear the extra games are a make good for this season.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I've been wondering something similar. Instead of giving them a whole extra year, why not just give them extra matches when the game is back up an running? There are X number of televised games they had paid for for this season, add them onto next season (or whenever the game is up and running). There are so few 3pm Saturday kick offs in the premier league that moving an extra game or two a week wouldn't make too big a difference, and it should be more easily accepted by fans if it's made clear the extra games are a make good for this season.

I think I read that televising Saturday 3 pm kick offs is now allowed so there wouldn’t be any inconvenience for fans (assuming fans were present).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No resemblance? That's clutching at straws. Playing away to Norwich in London with no crowd may be different from playing away to Norwich at Carrow Road with a crowd; but it's not "no resemblance". Football is football.

I’m honestly shocked Burnley want to league to continue ?

Money worries at the club?

Can’t be because of Europe as you embarrassed yourselves last time and spent the season fighting relegation

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Watford Chairman

The Watford Chairman is absolutely correct. Well said.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think I read that televising Saturday 3 pm kick offs is now allowed so there wouldn’t be any inconvenience for fans (assuming fans were present).

I remember that being mooted as a possibility, but had assumed it would be a temporary measure, but it could always be kept in place for a further season to facilitate the extra games (working on an assumption of a more regular season when it gets up and running).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Who at Brighton said pitch width was the worry ? I may have missed it as haven’t been reading everything.

Don't bite. There clearly aren't enough Burnley fans for an intelligent Burnley forum so he comes on here and makes stuff up to get things going.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Not really. It's not much more than 2.5 players per squad from the 19 teams that it may apply to (Burnley players seem to be immune from such timidity; they appear to have all said there is no problem with playing). And assuming that all the players who don't want to play will agree to go on furlough or take furlough equivalent wages, then it's a useful cost saving for their clubs.

Yes, I know footballers are very important people who should be expected to work like the rest of society. But above all, they should know that if they don't work, they don't get paid footballer money. They get paid furlough money.

You are coming across as a very unsympathetic type of person. Your use of the word ‘timidity’ is extremely insensitive in the face of a global pandemic. You have no idea how players’ and and fans’ families may have been affected by Covid 19. Perhaps you should return to the Burnley board where (in your eyes) everyone is a bit more macho about the idea of catching an untreatable and fatal virus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here