Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet Wants To Spend Big on a Striker

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
We should be having a look at Stephen Gleeson or Luke Chadwick from MK Dons as well to give us a bit more in midfield. Both technical, versatile midfielders that wouldn't break the bank, but would certainly be a better option than Dicker/Sparrow/Harley etc. Gleeson would probably be the better option as he's only 24, but Chadwick is pretty free-scoring despite the fact he's reaching the end of his career. MK have a similar set-up to us, play a similar game to us and I reckon either of these two would fit into our side without a problem.

Gleeson is a very good call. Chadwick is a crock sadly.
But we still need a new striker.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The Clayton Donaldson rumours are giving me much amusement. Saw the guy play regularly when I was at uni in York a few years ago. Bags of pace, but pretty weak first touch and finisher (required plenty of chances). That was fine in the conference, but there is a reason why at 28 he hasn't played at a standard higher than league 1.

Charlie Austin looked nothing special playing for my village side in the North Berks leagues 5 or 6 years ago. Look where he is now.

I don't think you HAVE to be a great finisher to score goals in this division. Someone with Donaldson's pace would bag us a minimum of 15 goals a season just from nipping in and poaching goals from 3 yards out, (well, I reckon so anyway) and add in to that the fact that he is in his prime right now, it wouldn't be that ridiculous if we really had no money to spend. I highly, highly doubt we'll ever find out though.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Let's get it clear. We don't need a 'TARGET MAN'. We need a prescence but certainly not a lump.

Chris Wood has come on leaps and bounds since he was with us. It's easy to forget he's still only 21 and was around 18/19 when he was with us. I'm not saying him necessarily, but I think he is the type Gus is after. He can hold the ball but also some of his finishing this season has been brilliant.

Just watched Gus' press conference and whilst he was being very cagey because he is currently at Millwall, Gus likes Chris Wood and reckons he is a much better player now than he was 2 years ago. I reckon he is near the top of Gus' list.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Just watched Gus' press conference and whilst he was being very cagey because he is currently at Millwall, Gus likes Chris Wood and reckons he is a much better player now than he was 2 years ago. I reckon he is near the top of Gus' list.

Yes, noticed this as well. Very rare for Gus to be that guarded and maybe just because we are playing them tomorrow night, but his reaction seemed to suggest an interest. Maybe Woods in, Hoskins out.

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
I imagine Gus would sell Bridcutt if the player outrightly demanded it and the money was damn right. Bridders could well think he's a bit better than Norwich, but they're on a run at present and as long as they virtually guaranteed him a starting place then he could well be attracted - along with the doubling of pay. Hammond and Crofts aren't as ball-nickingly aggressive as Bridders, but we wouldn't be as considerably puny as we may have been last season without him.I'd miss him, but loyalty is a longdead currencyand i'd wish him all the bestest. If it took about £3m or £4m for Norwich to nab him and we got in a goal machine and an upandcoming midfield beefcake, then i could live with it.

we couldn't get a player with anywhere near bridcutt's quality for £3-4m

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yes, noticed this as well. Very rare for Gus to be that guarded and maybe just because we are playing them tomorrow night, but his reaction seemed to suggest an interest. Maybe Woods in, Hoskins out.

A good possibility of that I think. Wood ticks all the boxes and knows how Gus likes to play, plus he was pretty happy here from what I remember.

As Gus said in the conference "We'll see".

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think he will perservere with CMS as well. You have to have a very good plan up your sleeve to sell your top scorer and I'm not sure those options are around.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
i want charlie austin

And I want Lionel Messi. Doesn't make it any more likely I am afraid.

More chance of Charlie Oatway playing up front for us than Charlie Austin

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here