Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet Wants To Spend Big on a Striker

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
okay i feel we will struggle to get a forward and it wouldnt be brighton if we leave to the last minute

indeed :lolol:

I am sure on the 31st Jan the forum will go into meltdown again with rumours!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How does anybody know how much TB and Gus are prepared to spend, it could well be a substantial sum on somebody like Beckford if they both think he could be the answer to get us promotion.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surprised there hasn't been much mention of Michael Owen on this thread - surely he fits the profile perfectly? World class goal scorer, proven track record, great pedigree......and his own supply of long-term sicknotes.............

Chris Wood would be a good shout, though

And where are Leon Knight and CKR these days?????

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Surprised there hasn't been much mention of Michael Owen on this thread - surely he fits the profile perfectly? World class goal scorer, proven track record, great pedigree......and his own supply of long-term sicknotes.............

Chris Wood would be a good shout, though

And where are Leon Knight and CKR these days?????
ckr is at blackburn and i couldnt care less where crap leon knight is

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
What's David Connolly doing atm,,,,yeah I know he is not a target man, but would be great player to have on the bench and come on for 20/25 mins if we need a goal. Scored at this level and above all his carer, even last season where he was out of contract at the end of the season. Player in the Kevin Phillips mould, only maybe not as good but then not as old either...Would like to see him here until the end of the season.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
Surely the striker we need to sign is one who will cut it next season in the prem and I'm not sure Chris wood will. I think gus should be looking in Spain, most players up for sale and we could get a real bargain.
As much as we know we need a striker I don't think gus has much to pick from in this country.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But Wood could be too expensive, or the cheaper option to the tune of £10m. :shrug:

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Surely the striker we need to sign is one who will cut it next season in the prem and I'm not sure Chris wood will. I think gus should be looking in Spain, most players up for sale and we could get a real bargain.
As much as we know we need a striker I don't think gus has much to pick from in this country.
i want a forward who we have heard of and i dont want chris wood and i dont think hes what we need

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Jermain Beckford, £2million from Leicester. I am in the know, I asked thr voices in my head. This was their answer.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'm a bit concerned that a new striker will just be asked to play isolated and alone up front like CMS, so no immediate guarantee of success. I presume Gus will love a striker with a better conversion rate than CMS. But then other clubs would be interested in anyone that good, so he won't come cheap. OK I can see a couple of out of favour players being moved on to create some financial leeway but wonder if this will be enough - and really hope this doesn't mean having to sell our best players. Surely this is the moment to strengthen the squad, not unbalance it?

This transfer window will be very interesting for Gus. He has made some great signings but also some duffers. Hopefully he is learning from this. I'm not sure we can afford a Charlie Austin type who presumably will attract Jordan Rhodes sized bids eg £8m. Maybe Chris Wood who is known to Gus and has matured nicely as a player - plus presumably we could afford to outbid Millwall? I think Wood might do a reasonable job and be hungry for success but I would prefer someone who has a Prem pedigree.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
I'm a bit concerned that a new striker will just be asked to play isolated and alone up front like CMS, so no immediate guarantee of success. I presume Gus will love a striker with a better conversion rate than CMS. But then other clubs would be interested in anyone that good, so he won't come cheap. OK I can see a couple of out of favour players being moved on to create some financial leeway but wonder if this will be enough - and really hope this doesn't mean having to sell our best players. Surely this is the moment to strengthen the squad, not unbalance it?

This transfer window will be very interesting for Gus. He has made some great signings but also some duffers. Hopefully he is learning from this. I'm not sure we can afford a Charlie Austin type who presumably will attract Jordan Rhodes sized bids eg £8m. Maybe Chris Wood who is known to Gus and has matured nicely as a player - plus presumably we could afford to outbid Millwall? I think Wood might do a reasonable job and be hungry for success but I would prefer someone who has a Prem pedigree.
I would prefer someone who has a Prem pedigree and not chris wood

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Jermain Beckford, £2million from Leicester. I am in the know, I asked thr voices in my head. This was their answer.

I have to say the names being mentioned in this thread are no better than what we have got. Unless we can come up with a real big name who will come like Wayne Bridge then I dont think anything will happen or at least hope not. Why waste money on players that have not proved themselves at premiership level. A good loan at this stage is a better bet

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I agree; but at the same time as Poyet refuses to play 2 up top, I highly doubt CMS would be happy to be a substitute when he has Premier League clubs interested in him.

Gus won't play 2 up top, but he wants someone to complement CMS/another striker, that plays in the Barnes/Hoskins role. Maybe he will convert CMS to that role? I dunno, but I find it difficult to believe that he would sell his top scorer half way through a season and gamble on someone else. After all, it is Hoskins and Barnes that are the most wasteful at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here