Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Villa? Could it happen

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The villa board have played things close to their chest, thus all the speculation. They haven't made public statements.

eh? they have approached at least three managers thats public knowledge, Benitez, Martinez, McLaren, its hardly been a covert search. then another handful linked to the job, Coyle, Moyles, Hughes, McLeish, all with a decent premiership record. Gus is only mentioned because he (along with others) get linked to every damn vacancy. though at this rate they'll get to him eventually.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Can't be that close if he only put a fiver on it.

I actually don't ever bet except grand national, but I just opened a corals account (as longest odds), and bet £70 on Gus to Villa at 25/1. Believe me, as daft as it sounds, I am happy and want to lose the money.

I just thought if he does go (and I have a foreboding feeling on this Villa job) I will be beside myself, in which case then £1850 may go some little way to soften the agony of it and lessen what would be a crushing blow.

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I can't make my mind up. If he does go, Bloom will make another fantastic appointment so not going to get too worked up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sam Wallace of The Independent is a regular on Sky's Sunday Supplement and seems the archetypal broadsheet football journo, so if he specifically mentions Poyet is possible candidate fancied by Villa I'm concerned. The Barry Swain tweet compounds this feeling of uncertainty.

I'm surprised that so many posters on this thread are totally confident Poyet will stay at the Albion. This is football we're talking about. 2 or 3 years ago you wouldn't have got men like Mark Hughes and Alex McLeish resigning in the circumstances they have.

At the end of the day I think he'll stay, but nothing would surprise me. Paul Lambert at Norwich is the example I hope Gus will follow, while the experience of Di Matteo at West Brom and Ince at Blackburn should also serve as a warning.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
when do we think they will make a decision? How long are we going to have to go through this?

bnfrnkln

all the lads...
Nov 2, 2009
the ministry of flair
i'm working on countdown tonight, just spoke to Jeff Stelling. he doesnt think poyet would go to villa and doesnt think villa would go for poyet.
Jeff has spoken, end of thread

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Villa have approached Mcleish but Birmingham have demanded £5 million compensation for him. As he already resigned can they still do that?
Villa make McLeish enquiry | Football News | Sky Sports

He has offered his resignation, but as yet Birmingham have not accepted it. He agreed to work for them for the length of the contract when he signed it, he can't just say 'I quit' and walk away, they have to agree to let him out of his obligation. They would be in their rights to put him on garden leave and force him to sit out the duration of his contract. As he is still under contract, they can demand compensation from any club that wants to employ him.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as far as the odds go, he's still 25/1 with corals, 20/1 and 10/1 elsewhere that i looked.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
excellent article Walt

totally THIS on article.

last paragraph two errors

"Anyone [Any] Brighton fan who honestly, hand on heart, thinks Gus would turn Villa down, is living in Cloud Cuckoo Land. The Seagulls have massive potential, but in the right hands Villa could muscle in on Europe's elite. Turning that once proud club into genuine challenges [challengers] at the top table of world football is an opportunity Poyet could surely not turn down.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You're talking yourself round into being all but CONVINCED he's off to Villa. :rolleyes:

Did Sky Sports even bother asking him when they interviewed him today ?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I don't doubt Villa have people they would rather have.

My main point is how baffled I am by people on here who think he would turn down a job of that size.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
1) Keep cool all you worrying ninnies, he's going nowhere.

2) Just to mess with your heads (and sorry if this is old news, can't be bothered to do a search on the forum), this was in the Mail:

"Villa appeared unconfident, unconvinced of their own judgment when dealing with McClaren. Just as they seemed bewildered in their attitude to Brighton’s Gus Poyet, for whom they are said to have booked a private plane, and then hurriedly cancelled it."

Read more: Patrick Collins: Steve McClaren must get a chance | Mail Online

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
totally THIS on article.

last paragraph two errors

"Anyone [Any] Brighton fan who honestly, hand on heart, thinks Gus would turn Villa down, is living in Cloud Cuckoo Land. The Seagulls have massive potential, but in the right hands Villa could muscle in on Europe's elite. Turning that once proud club into genuine challenges [challengers] at the top table of world football is an opportunity Poyet could surely not turn down.

Thanks, and thanks again for spotting the typos!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here