Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Villa? Could it happen

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Yes but if you look at the Villa thread on this it says at the top that 46%, (305) want Moyes, 13% want Rijkaardrd or Benitez, 8% want Hughes and then 4 others on less than that. Poyet gets 4 votes out of 654 which according to their stats is 0%. If the Chairman is looking at what the fans want then theres no way hes going there.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I think this Villa poll probably clears up how keen the fans are to take a chance on Gus.

654 fans voted - 4 want Gus!

Edit - beat me to it by one minute Mileoakman!!

Capture.JPG

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I think I would cry if Poyet left.

I don't quite see it happening though. If I were Gus, I'd wait until the end of next season and see if Redknapp takes the England job and then see if Spurs want him. Villa are a big club but are definitely on a downwards trajectory at the moment. Both Villa and Gus would be taking huge gambles. Besides, isn't McLeish linked to Villa now he's left Birmingham?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes but if you look at the Villa thread on this it says at the top that 46%, (305) want Moyes, 13% want Rijkaardrd or Benitez, 8% want Hughes and then 4 others on less than that. Poyet gets 4 votes out of 654 which according to their stats is 0%. If the Chairman is looking at what the fans want then theres no way hes going there.

I read through it guys, Poyets name was not on original poll when it started and users can only vote once.... it was a long time after most had already voted and after quite a few people said his name should've been included that they added it, the poll was closed almost straight after Gus name was added, so its not a true picture.

I put Gus Poyet in search function and then read the responses......

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Look, the owner of Aston Villa is not going to look at a poll on their equivalent of NSC and choose the new manager based on that, is he.

Whoever they appoint now will be going there fully in the knowledge that they were not the owners first choice. A cruddy run of results, hovering around near the bottom and the new manager there could be booted out by Christmas. Thats how it works in that League.

Gus is planning for the long term here, he is building something, and he has everything he could want at this early stage of his career. I do not believe he would bin all that and jump into that basket case of a club up the M6.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The problem with Villa at the moment is that they are fast becomming a bit of a joke, they are getting through managers at an alarming rate and are starting to ship they're best players. Every manager mentioned seems to want to distnace themselves from the job which should set off alarm bells. Any manager who gets the job is going to have a nightmare of a job trying to sort the club out which will be made worse with Chairman who dissappears for weeks at a time. I suspect that this is the last type of job that Gus would want if he were looking to further his career. It's all about risk, and Villa are very risky at the moment. We on the other hand are not!

I think you're a little off the mark there with that. O'Neill walked, rightly or wrongly because some of his best players were sold but as far as I can tell, Lerner has been running a tight ship and economically they were probably doing the right thing. Houllier fell ill right when they were needing to pull clear of relegation, as much as it seems a harsh thing to do, I can't see how they could continue with Houllier and his continuing health problems - at the end of the day, he needs to retire or go upstairs. In both cases I don't see as how the club were to blame. They've had what, 7 managers in 20 years, apart from Houllier and Taylor, most have been given at least 3 or 4 years at the club. It's hardly an 'alarming' rate if you look it in comparison to say Spurs or Man City for example.

Most managers will see the absence of the owner, and the distance he keeps as a blessing rather than a curse, being left to get on with their job is probably the ideal situation. With the sale of Young + Downing (say £25m) a new manager will have some money to spend, and with Bent, and a whole host of talented young players coming through like Albrighton, things aren't quite as bad as you would suggest.

I don't think there is any doubt the Villa job is attractive, the resignations of McLeish and Hughes, although maybe coincidental, surely go some way in confirming that.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
McLeish resigned for a reason.

McLaren rejected Villa and went to Forest.

GP wants to stay in the south as his kids are educated here and his son plays for Charlton. He is also looking for a house near Brighton as he does not want a 40 minute drive to work every day. Why on earth would he want to move to the concrete metropolis that is Birmingham with their strange way of talking - they would never understand one another!

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Well on NSC Gus has been linked to Chelsea, West Ham, Fulham and even Tottenham (even though the last time I looked Harry Redknapp was in that position). So why not, yes with absolutely no ties whatsoever to Villa and with a sum total of 4 Villa fans wanting him, he has GOT to be going to Villa.:tantrum:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Either Villa are definitely interested in Gus or the journalist who wrote the article in the Independent is being mischevious, it's the bit about Villa wanting someone who can give them an "identity" that bothers me. That is EXACTLY what might appeal to Gus and something that he has done here since he arrived. This potential job offer bothers me more thn any of the others that have come up

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Either Villa are definitely interested in Gus or the journalist who wrote the article in the Independent is being mischevious, it's the bit about Villa wanting someone who can give them an "identity" that bothers me. That is EXACTLY what might appeal to Gus and something that he has done here since he arrived. This potential job offer bothers me more thn any of the others that have come up

If offered the job, I think it would be very difficult for him to turn down, Villa are a big club, with a big fan base, a young progressive squad, perhaps some money to spend following some sales, and potential to improve and get in the top 6.

I don't however think any Prem club will offer Gus a job yet though. There is a difference in managing League One players who genuinely look up to you with some awe and respect, and managing Prem players with their incredibly inflated ego's etc. It's a big transition, one which many managers would find very difficult. I think most clubs will look at Gus after his had a year in the 2nd tier, only then will they start to show a serious interest....and by then we'll be in the top flight anyway!! :banana:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
it's the bit about Villa wanting someone who can give them an "identity" that bothers me. That is EXACTLY what might appeal to Gus and something that he has done here since he arrived. This potential job offer bothers me more thn any of the others that have come up

totally this.

no other job rumour has bothered me at all, not one, this one does. They want a young hungry manager with vision to establish an identity (their words). If he's offered the chance to manage Darren Bent at footballs top table and with cash to spend and a massively bigger salary, its naive to think he'd flatly reject it.

We all love Brighton and see it as lifelong Brighton fans, but to Poyet (whilst his current employment conditions are favourable) its still his present employer paying £x per year and he is aiming for the top of the football managerial tree. Villa is a much bigger job than us and a massive jump up, nobody other than a Brighton fan would dream to compare managing us to managing Villa.

I am not saying he's going, there's a good chance he won't, but lets be realistic about the prospects if he were offered the job.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
The Villa job is arguable one of the biggest in English football so I’d say they should be looking for someone with premier league experience, however if they really want Poyet we shouldn’t stand in their way as long as the compensation is fair. It's a massive oppertunity for Gus.

It’s worth remembering we are no longer some tin pot third division outfit playing in a shit heap infront of sub 10,000 crowds, we will have no problems attracting very decent manager as Poyet’s replacement.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Just read Some twitterists saying meeting at 5pm today with Lerner?.....

C-MaC
@QuigTheDude C-MaC
Although apparently Randy has a meeting with Gus Poyet today at 5pm #avfc

though would take that with big pinch of salt. just found pic of Gus in Barbados.

210j29h.jpg

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Oh for f***'s sake please NO.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Can't be that close if he only put a fiver on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here