Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Villa? Could it happen

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think Mr Poyet realises that this (being manager of Brighton) is one of those very rare opportunities that only ever come along once every blue moon to really make an impact on a club. He has everything going for him at our club and the sky is the limit as far as potential goes. What would he get at Villa? One or two seasons of constant pressure with the threat of being sacked once they've lost a couple of games in a row. OK he might get more money in the short term but he's definitely a man with his head screwed on and one eye on the future. Mate, sleep well tonight it'll all be ok :)

This is an excellent assessment. Absolutely spot on.
You should post more.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ridiculous thread. Silly season is well and truly upon us.

No I think you are wrong actually. This isn't a silly season worry, this is most certainly a genuine club that would take a big name from BHA, give him a two year deal and sack him after one if he didn't do it. It is also the big club that Gus would take on. This sort of vacancy worries me because they would come in for Gus, unlike your Chelsea's, Man U's, Liverpool's, etc. But as I said above, I don't think he'd spend Brighton's coffers and go.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Im more worried about Grayson likely to get the Villa job, as Poyet has links to Leeds and defo a big club.
Leeds fans also think very highly of Gus and i think he would be number 1 choice, so hoping villa dont get Grayson

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Leeds ?
Do behave. We have every chance of finishing above them next season, why the hell would Gus go there ?

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
i am not usually pessimistic, but i am starting to shit it a little, noticed gus odds have gone from 33/1 and 40/1 this morning have been slashed and are now down at 10/1 to 14/1.

Just been reading villa forums and many fans are calling for going for poyet and taking a chance on him despite experience.

Guessing he may be tempted and as much as it fills me with absolute dread to think of him going, if they do move for him, what do you think he'd do? Martinez loyalty or to big an opportunity?

So much hinges on our brilliant manager, our transfer elation, these quality player transfer rumours and our hopes for next season which could all be stifled very quickly.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/aston-villa-specials/next-permanent-manager

please somebody reassure me :facepalm:

please fucik off - if you do not understand anything that gp has said over the last few months or his relationship with tb you are
either thick or a wind-up merchant! Clearly the former i would suggest!!!!

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Why does everyone assume he'd be lured immediately by the mixed blessing of a mid-table premier league appointment? Or any less than top 5 type premier league club?

Ok so I understand the obvious reason people think this.

But what's so bad about championship football in a new ground (etc etc!) with a club you are taking places? In a nice part of the world? With a great vibe. He is probably looking forward to standing on the Amex touchline watching his flairniac blue and white team taking on the world. The club that gave him his shot. Where everything is on the up...

I wouldn't dismiss the worry as silly season, but as said above: don't worry, sleep well in your bed. i think gus is as excited as we are about the club, his club and ours, it's progress and potential. Some things in life are more important than a nondescript premier league pay packet and i think the albion have something like that going on, and then some.

bring on next season! (and lua lua)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Felt pretty happy this afternoon as Poyets odds started to get longer in the wake of McLeish resigning. They have just tumbled back down to short odds again this evening as He is mentioned as being wanted again in Independent article just published :-(

The Villa owner, Randy Lerner, and chief executive, Paul Faulkner, have also expressed an interest in the Uruguayan coach Gus Poyet, who won promotion to the Championship with Brighton & Hove Albion last season.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/mcleish-linked-with-villa-as-mcclaren-joins-forest-2296778.html

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Felt pretty happy this afternoon as Poyets odds started to get longer in the wake of McLeish resigning. They have just tumbled back down to short odds again this evening as He is mentioned as being wanted again in Independent article just published :-(

The Villa owner, Randy Lerner, and chief executive, Paul Faulkner, have also expressed an interest in the Uruguayan coach Gus Poyet, who won promotion to the Championship with Brighton & Hove Albion last season.

Its a pissing-in-the-wind line from a hack padding out his article. No quotes, no sources, just a line to chuck in because Gus's name is knocking about in the bookies odds and they don't want to appear to be completely out of the loop if indeed Gus racks up at Villa Park.

Which he won't.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Its a pissing-in-the-wind line from a hack padding out his article. No quotes, no sources, just a line to chuck in because Gus's name is knocking about in the bookies odds and they don't want to apppear to be completely out of the loop if indeed Gus racks up at Villa Park.

Which he won't.

Easy I know how you feel about Poyet, the same as I do, but I am feeling really nervous about this one. The villa board have played things close to their chest, thus all the speculation. They haven't made public statements.

So to write "they have expressed an interest" coupled to the "private jet booking by Aston Villa for Gus" story yesterday, in my take, means they must have made/planned some formal or maybe even informal/clandestine approach at some point?

Either they once were after him (ended pursuit or told to do one) or they actually still are after him.... I think it may be more than just speculation.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Why would Gus go to a Premier League club (other than Chelsea or Tottingham) where the average length of time given to mangers by Chairmen is 2 Years?

He knows that we have, possibly, every chance of being there ourselves quite soon-2 to 3 years if we continue to progress as our Chairman wants us to. If Gus gets us into the Prem, so long as we don't get relegated he will have a Prem job until his dream ticket comes along. TB is not going to fire him and Gus must know this. Of course he's ambitious, however, he is also intelligent and he knows that getting BHAFC into the Prem will see his value go through the roof.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Why would Gus go to a Premier League club (other than Chelsea or Tottingham) where the average length of time given to mangers by Chairmen is 2 Years?

He knows that we have, possibly, every chance of being there ourselves quite soon-2 to 3 years if we continue to progress as our Chairman wants us to. If Gus gets us into the Prem, so long as we don't get relegated he will have a Prem job until his dream ticket comes along. TB is not going to fire him and Gus must know this. Of course he's ambitious, however, he is also intelligent and he knows that getting BHAFC into the Prem will see his value go through the roof.

That all makes sense Bwian, but Villa are one of the 10 biggest clubs in the land, and where they are at now and where they once were in early 80's may appeal.

Its a challenge and its a risk, but rather than sit round here for 3 years, he could next season be at a big top 10 club as manager against the Man U's, Chelseas, Liverpools etc,. Villa is a big big club, with a proud heritage and I don't think Gus would turn it down if offered it. We all think like fans.

Gus wants to get to the top of his managerial profession and this would be a massive opportunity and massive jump up the managerial ladder.

Of course I desperately want to keep Gus, but the natural optimist in me sees this particular job as a big threat and I don't share other fans optimism if they do approach him. I want to be wrong.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
That all makes sense Bwian, but Villa are one of the 10 biggest clubs in the land, and where they are at now and where they once were in early 80's may appeal.

Its a challenge and its a risk, but rather than sit round here for 3 years, he could next season be at a big top 10 club as manager against the Man U's, Chelseas, Liverpools etc,. Villa is a big big club, with a proud heritage and I don't think Gus would turn it down if offered it. We all think like fans.

Gus wants to get to the top of his managerial profession and this would be a massive opportunity and massive jump up the managerial ladder.

Of course I desperately want to keep Gus, but the natural optimist in me sees this particular job as a big threat and I don't share other fans optimism if they do approach him. I want to be wrong.

Unfortunately this

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

The problem with Villa at the moment is that they are fast becomming a bit of a joke, they are getting through managers at an alarming rate and are starting to ship they're best players. Every manager mentioned seems to want to distnace themselves from the job which should set off alarm bells. Any manager who gets the job is going to have a nightmare of a job trying to sort the club out which will be made worse with Chairman who dissappears for weeks at a time. I suspect that this is the last type of job that Gus would want if he were looking to further his career. It's all about risk, and Villa are very risky at the moment. We on the other hand are not!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The argument against all those that say he is too inexperienced etc is that he is in exactly the same situation as Martinez was at Swansea and Wigan took the gamble on him. You could argue that Villa are a much bigger club with bigger expectations than Wigan but I wont be completely at ease until Villa appoint a manager. Having said that I dont think Gus would be tempted but there is still a niggling doubt.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The argument against all those that say he is too inexperienced etc is that he is in exactly the same situation as Martinez was at Swansea and Wigan took the gamble on him. You could argue that Villa are a much bigger club with bigger expectations than Wigan but I wont be completely at ease until Villa appoint a manager. Having said that I dont think Gus would be tempted but there is still a niggling doubt.

Martinez took Swansea into the Championship, then had a season managing them there where they had a decent season and did will in the cup if memory serves. Martinez also played nearly 200 games for Wigan and knew Whelan pretty well. Circumstances therefore are very different.

I find it hard to believe that any of the Premiership clubs would currently take a punt on Poyet, for every Martinez there is an Ince for example...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Sam Wallace, who wrote the story in the Independent, is a decent guy, but has no special knowledge about Villa, and once linked Gus with the Portsmouth job, which was utterly laughable.

Gus has said that he would only leave (and TB would understand) if an "unbelievable" offer came along. Villa, for all their Big Club pretensions, aren't quite on the "unbelievable" level. And Villa would be unlikely IMHO to risk a manager with one promotion on his CV.

Leeds is more of a possibility, but I know Gus is narked that Ken Bates once wrote in the programme that he hadn't been considered for the vacancy last time because he refused to move his family up North - which Gus and Bates hadn't even discussed.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

If that was the case, why wouldn't Martinez, who has shown in the past a willingness to leave one club for a bigger one, not take it?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Sam Wallace, who wrote the story in the Independent, is a decent guy, but has no special knowledge about Villa, and once linked Gus with the Portsmouth job, which was utterly laughable.

Gus has said that he would only leave (and TB would understand) if an "unbelievable" offer came along. Villa, for all their Big Club pretensions, aren't quite on the "unbelievable" level. And Villa would be unlikely IMHO to risk a manager with one promotion on his CV.

Leeds is more of a possibility, but I know Gus is narked that Ken Bates once wrote in the programme that he hadn't been considered for the vacancy last time because he refused to move his family up North - which Gus and Bates hadn't even discussed.

Like the unbelievable opportunity take a top 10 club and get the former league winners and european champions back into top 4?

until they appoint someone, as BensGrandad said, this is going to be a nervous wait.... I think people underestimate villas size, stature and opportunity to a newly promoted league 1 manager with big aspirations.

This has just this hour been written on their forums, and we know the villa hierarchy read and respond to their fans forums (ala McLaren).

"Personally I think it will be Moyes or Hughes although I would love it if they gave Poyet a chance - I worked down in Brighton for a few months and the guy is the messiah down there. I think he will turn out to be a top, top manager and is exactly the type we should go for - young, ambitious, played at the top level, ultra-professional, well-respected in the game and maybe could unearth a few gems from the lower divisions"

Followed by a few......... ^^^^^ this

and others backing up the calls for Poyet.

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=69060&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=gus+poyet&start=7185

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If that was the case, why wouldn't Martinez, who has shown in the past a willingness to leave one club for a bigger one, not take it?

Martinez has a personal connection/tie to both Wigan where he played, and Dave Wheelan.... big difference. He did ditch Swansea for wigan.

I remember when we first got Poyet a Leeds fan came on here and said first sniff of a better job and he'd be off.... citing promoting Swindon and given bigger budget and still left for bigger Leeds, and then even though still very much wanted by Leeds jumped for bigger Spurs.

Now I am not agreeing with that persons assessment, but Villa is a threat imho and the cirsumstances/ties of Poyet with Brighton are very different to Martinez at already premiership Wigan and who ditched Swansea to get there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here