Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet on the Leeds Vacancy

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
This means nothing at all. Leeds aren't an attractive club to go to anymore. Being in the Premier League dictates where managers go and players go, not the past and average attendances from the last 30 years. Leeds are not bigger or better than us or the majority of teams in the Championship. Poyet would never go to Leeds unless they become a top 6 club, which isn't going to happen.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just saying what the locals want to hear, that's all. Means nothing.

Exactly. They all do it.

He's hardly going to say - "Leeds is a club in stagnation that, despite it's illusions of grandeur, has no chance of luring me away from a fantastic club on the up with a brand new stadium, great fans and a chairman I have an excellent relationship with " - now is he? :)

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
Just hope AVB keeps his job at Chelsea. Although its not like Abramovich would make a smart appointment like Poyet.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes the quote is a bit garbled but the way i read it is that he's been linked with the job because of his past there and been asked by a journo about whether he would want the job and he's been polite and answered in a way so he doesn't upset anyone. Journos only print what they want to so its easy to misread the actual meaning

The other point is a managers job can be very short and it is unwise to burn your bridges especially so early in his career

Again, exactly this.

Too many people on this thread reading between the lines when there's absolutely nothing in this. Just polite routine manager speak to local journalist.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I do find some posts really bemusing. Telling Gus to f##k off and alike. Here is a young bright manager, unlike anyone else apart from Mullery who is taking this club on a great journey and some want him to go just for saying a position elsewhere would be a great opportunity (for someone!) but not for him at this time.

What many appear to forget is English is not his native tongue. Though he speaks good English his explanations can sometimes be misconstrued.

But a warning to some out there, sometimes you get what you wish for.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Again, exactly this.

Too many people on this thread reading between the lines when there's absolutely nothing in this. Just polite routine manager speak to local journalist.

This - whatever he said - some people will blow it out of proportion and make something out of nothing x

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I do find some posts really bemusing. Telling Gus to f##k off and alike. Here is a young bright manager, unlike anyone else apart from Mullery who is taking this club on a great journey and some want him to go just for saying a position elsewhere would be a great opportunity (for someone!) but not for him at this time.

What many appear to forget is English is not his native tongue. Though he speaks good English his explanations can sometimes be misconstrued.

This is good,as despite my earlier post in this thread,re a loose tongue,perhaps your explanation above is correct as i have also considered this too,however despite Gus being the best manager i have ever known here,i wish for a Dario Gradi term of employment at Brighton...10 years at least

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Which makes this excellent response from Gus even more impressive. Many native English speakers wouldn't have framed it nearly as well. As has been said elsewhere on this thread, he's played a blinder there - giving nothing away and keeping everybody happy ( bar the confused few on here ) with a polite and considered response.
Superb work Gus :clap2:

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
What is wrong with everyone? He politely declined wanting to take the job. He's entitled to his own feelings regarding other clubs. Ultimately he's not at another club, he's at ours.

agree g p my lord! as long as he wants ...and then for afters we get someone better! until then gus is king!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As somebody that shells out £400 a year at home and a few hundred quid away I find what Gus says quite disappointing. It is great for them to just walk away, they don't really care about the impact they have on the fans that idolise them. They seriously don't give a f***. Gus is touting himself to championship clubs and that can't be right. I wish he would just keep his gob shut sometimes, I don't want to know about his love affairs.

Mr LBX

Banned
Feb 3, 2012
Palace Fan
I Heard Gus was In contention for the England Job, But i hope the Uruguayan clears off elsewhere, hopefully you will sink Back down to your Natural level.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I Heard Gus was In contention for the England Job, But i hope the Uruguayan clears off elsewhere, hopefully you will sink Back down to your Natural level.
Nah!We don't want to sink down to the level of Palace....heard Freedman was being lined up by Ken.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Gus has already publicly ruled himself out of the both the England job for now, and the Leeds job.

D

Deleted member 22389

I also find the comments slightly annoying, but we have to understand as supporters that Gus does not bleed blue and white, and he never ever will.
But if they stopped asking him the questions about the Leeds vanancy in the first place, he would not answer them.

We should treat Gus how he treats us. This is a just a job for him and a stepping stone to bigger and better things, plain and simple.

Remember he signed a 5 year contract with us. His job is to eventually get us to the Premiership. If he can acheive that goal then in my eyes his job is done, he can sleep with whoever he wants.
He might even go down in to the Brighton history books. If he thinks that he is ready to move now, then allow him go. But be warned. Every single manager that has left Brighton has ended up in a worse position career wise.

I just can't be doing with love fest anymore and analysing every word he says. It's not good for your health.

I admit Leeds are bigger and have had a lot more success than us over the years, but like every other club to compete financially with the likes of Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham is impossible these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think was has thrown some people on here is that Gus is usually frank and forthright - sometimes more than he should be. This is the diplomatic Gus which is a rarity and has confused people and led them to believe he is somehow being disloyal.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
He's just being polite. Jesus Christ.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here