Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet on the Leeds Vacancy

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
For about 15 years through the medium of TV interviews. And the actions he chooses to make. Like when he was battling with Matthew Harding for control of Chelsea.

Well, I met him a number of times when he was at Chelsea. I was a young guy taken to see them by his Chairman (of him work) in the Director's Box (Chairman's best friend was a Vice President of Chelsea). Ken must have realised I was a normal guy (not loaded as most people there), but he chatted with me, was very friendly and made me feel very at home and welcome.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
Gus goes to Leeds and that's his career over with. Keep banging on about Leeds Gus, then f*** off to them. They have been in turmoil since the 90's and will be for the foreseeable future.

What is up with people? Sheffield Wednesday are bigger than Leeds but will never awaken from their deep sleep, had it, f***ed.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Gus goes to Leeds and that's his career over with. Keep banging on about Leeds Gus, then f*** off to them. They have been in turmoil since the 90's and will be for the foreseeable future.

What is up with people? Sheffield Wednesday are bigger than Leeds but will never awaken from their deep sleep, had it, f***ed.

What a stupid comment about Wednesday! How many people all over the country do you see supporting them compared to Leeds?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Well, I met him a number of times when he was at Chelsea. I was a young guy taken to see them by his Chairman (of him work) in the Director's Box (Chairman's best friend was a Vice President of Chelsea). Ken must have realised I was a normal guy (not loaded as most people there), but he chatted with me, was very friendly and made me feel very at home and welcome.

Sounds like a lovely guy. Go and chat on the Leeds forum i am sure they would love to hear about your special moment. When you see him next, maybe in Monaco ask him as well when he's going to pay his taxes. I realise financially he must be in a tough position. Also the way he publicly snubbed Sven another class action from old loveable Ken.

Dear Ken Bates | The Football Project

Last edited:

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
What a stupid comment about Wednesday! How many people all over the country do you see supporting them compared to Leeds?

I live in Brighton and don't see anyone wearing either shirts or know anyone supporting either teams but having to both city's and grounds then Wednesday are bigger with out a doubt.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Gus knows the score, sure he has access to plenty of inside info on Leeds. For him to turn down / rule out a club at this moment in time who are trying to move forward and have the potential to be one of the top six clubs in England /Champions League potential is a huge statement. He must have a huge amount of faith in being an integral part of the Bloom vision. Not all marriages last for forever, but this one certainly seems to be made in heaven.:rolleyes:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Whatever the logic behind them I find Gus's comments very disappointing. They show little respect for Brighton supporters and remind me of Micky Adams's 'I'm good enough for a top club' rants of 2000 - 2001. Poyet has done wonders for the Albion but that doesn't mean that everything he does is right - his loose tongue is causing problems and someone needs to give him some guidance.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Whatever the logic behind them I find Gus's comments very disappointing. They show little respect for Brighton supporters

Agree. He's not stupid, he's also strong enough of character that you wouldn't have thought he'd feel the need to pander to every possible potential suitor if he's got no intention of leaving BHA any time soon. Strange and disappointing.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Maybe we should start thinking bigger and better than Gus because he makes no secret of wanting better.

When we get to the prem maybe we can set our sights on Lambert or Rodgers

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
What is wrong with everyone? He politely declined wanting to take the job. He's entitled to his own feelings regarding other clubs. Ultimately he's not at another club, he's at ours.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Whatever the logic behind them I find Gus's comments very disappointing. They show little respect for Brighton supporters and remind me of Micky Adams's 'I'm good enough for a top club' rants of 2000 - 2001. Poyet has done wonders for the Albion but that doesn't mean that everything he does is right - his loose tongue is causing problems and someone needs to give him some guidance.

Funnily enough this also applies to some comments made about current players too,it's the 1 single thing that does occasionally ruffles my feathers,otherwise i'm still enjoying the views from the Gus Bus........

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
I saw that quote, it is all over the place.

It is a disgrace. He may have well asked for the job outright. He even implied the terms he needed to take it - to be allowed to make all of the decisions.

Yes the quote is a bit garbled but the way i read it is that he's been linked with the job because of his past there and been asked by a journo about whether he would want the job and he's been polite and answered in a way so he doesn't upset anyone. Journos only print what they want to so its easy to misread the actual meaning

The other point is a managers job can be very short and it is unwise to burn your bridges especially so early in his career

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003

Give it a few more years outside the premiership and those 'masses' of fans will start to dwindle. I know of a local Leeds fan who is considering converting his young boy to The Albion instead so he can go and see our games instead.... which is fine with me :)

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Really. I thought he got on well with Ken?

Ken Bates 10/09/2010

Ken Bates: Lunch with the Leeds chairman, and it really is a blast... - Profiles - People - The Independent

"I'm loyal to my managers until they can't or don't deliver. Unfortunately, Dennis and [his assistant] Gus Poyet thought the grass was greener elsewhere. It wasn't. Dennis's time at Newcastle was a complete disaster. And I heard about Poyet leaving on Sky Sports News. Then he wanted to come back as manager. No f***ing chance. Nobody lets me down twice."

As long as it's not Tone who offers him the guidance.

That could be the beginning of the end.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I think Poyet played a blinder tbh (and i'm often a critic). Gave Redfern absolutely no ammo what so ever, to use in a team talk against us, gave the fans nothing and no reason to get on his or the teams back. Then went up there and took all three points. Poyet has got far bigger fish to fry in the future than Leeds Utd ,at this moment in time. But maybe not in ten years time, if the money goes into the club and they become one of the top six clubs in the country again, which they have the potential to be...10 out of 10 Gus, mind games is all part of the job, great stuff!!!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
What is wrong with everyone? He politely declined wanting to take the job. He's entitled to his own feelings regarding other clubs. Ultimately he's not at another club, he's at ours.

The day before we play them in a massive game. If they wanted a stick to beat him with, then he did not give them one. Very shrewd managment, on Poyet's behalf. As if he would be interested in Leeds, at this moment in time.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Talk about 2+2=5

He gets a direct question, about a city he's currently visiting, where he worked a few years back, and says, yes it might be good but not now, thus not offending said city or interviewer, but making it clear there's nothing doing.

Chill people....

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I agree although im not sure if i want a manager here who wants to be elsewhere,he makes so many annoying comments.

Remember gus we will not be belittled by your future plans,keep them thoughts to yourself as this club is far far bigger.

Gus you are doing a great job, but if you would prefer to manage Leeds then f*** off.I seem to remember adams thinking he was too good for us , look at him now.Learn your trade before you move on, or regret your decision

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here