Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet on the Leeds Vacancy

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bates is like a cheap, seedy second hand car dealer. He buys the product when it is practically worthless, spends next to nothing on it and then tries to sell it on for a ridiculous profit to some mug. There is no love in what he does. A great club Leeds but not the place for Gus to go to in my opinion.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
His comments can be intepreted in two ways - are those who interpret them as being 'disrespectful' not therefore entitled to be pissed off and vent their spleen regardless of what Poyet has done for us on the field?

It may be possible to interpret his comments in more than one way but it is impossible to discern any real meaning from a small journalist edited snippet. They do it on purpose to cause reaction and sell their stories don't fall into their traps

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Having read the comments, the slightly disappointing thing for me, is not talk about the Leeds job, but it just underlines that his time with us is finite, and he is not averse to moving on if he thought another job was a step on his managerial ladder - and moving on could happen at any time - we are not in his heart, just a convenient stopping off point.

I now think his term will end sooner than I thought it would before I read these comments.

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
We have only seen the quote and not the question.

Gus gives straight answers to the questions he is asked. If he was asked was interested in the Leeds job then this is the type of answer I would expect. Nothing sinister or disrespectful to us.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
There are people here who like wetting their pants.

I'm not sure that's a fair comment . Whilst I do agree it's a bit of a non story - I don't think or I'd like to think that Gus wouldn't even contemplate switching to Leeds over the next few seasons, I did though expect less comment from Gus on it. Perhaps a little less glossy eyed regard for Leeds and more of a 'why would you ask me that, my focus is Brighton, playoffs etc'.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Having read the comments, the slightly disappointing thing for me, is not talk about the Leeds job, but it just underlines that his time with us is finite, and he is not averse to moving on if he thought another job was a step on his managerial ladder - and moving on could happen at any time - we are not in his heart, just a convenient stopping off point.

I now think his term will end sooner than I thought it would before I read these comments.

Managing Brighton & Hove Albion, even in the top division, is not the pinnacle of a top manager's career - surely that doesn't come as a shock.

Why can't everyone just chill out about this? GP is very committed to Brighton, he loves having decision-making autonomy and having a major influence on the strategic direction of the club. He loves the cosmopolitan feel of the city. But one day he will probably move on and manage one of the four or five biggest clubs in the country, or perhaps a national team. Well, good luck to him! When that happens, there will be a queue of top managers wanting to come to one of the most progressive clubs in the country. The infrastructure the club is building means that its success is not dependent on one manager, however talented.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Why can't everyone just chill out about this? GP is very committed to Brighton, he loves having decision-making autonomy and having a major influence on the strategic direction of the club.

And in that respect he is an extremely lucky fledgling manager and one who should choose his words carefully in interviews such as yesterdays. Have aspirations by all means but have some respect for your club and its fans - not too much to ask really is it?

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
That was my point - my reading of these comments is that he's not committed.

I think he is committed to his current job, but like the vast majority of people these days, doesn't want to close off the possibility of doing a different job at some point in the future. These two things are not mutually exclusive.

I may be proved wrong but it looks like a non-story.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not sure that's a fair comment . Whilst I do agree it's a bit of a non story - I don't think or I'd like to think that Gus wouldn't even contemplate switching to Leeds over the next few seasons, I did though expect less comment from Gus on it. Perhaps a little less glossy eyed regard for Leeds and more of a 'why would you ask me that, my focus is Brighton, playoffs etc'.

He enjoyed his time at Leeds, had a great rapport with the fans there and his comments were more to do with being complimentary to them. He is committed to Brighton and wants to achieve the best he can with us. We all know he wants to move on at some time but I cannot see Leeds being the place he wants to go. In a couple of years he may be considering a Premiership club and then I'll start to worry.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Gus will one day leave us,and hopefully we will no longer need him,for he will have built a vast empire capable of progression into the future,but if things do take a turn for the worse for The Albion's future,then i can see Gus,one day returning to the club that will always hold a place in his heart,where it all really began for him-Brighton.....

Rest for a while,for his work is nowhere near finished here...

D

Deleted User X18H

His body language when discussing this at the presser, Leeds (sorry) me to believe that he is very fond of Leeds but now isn't the right time for him or them.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Managing Brighton & Hove Albion, even in the top division, is not the pinnacle of a top manager's career - surely that doesn't come as a shock.

Why can't everyone just chill out about this? GP is very committed to Brighton, he loves having decision-making autonomy and having a major influence on the strategic direction of the club. He loves the cosmopolitan feel of the city. But one day he will probably move on and manage one of the four or five biggest clubs in the country, or perhaps a national team. Well, good luck to him! When that happens, there will be a queue of top managers wanting to come to one of the most progressive clubs in the country. The infrastructure the club is building means that its success is not dependent on one manager, however talented.

Wise words.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
And in that respect he is an extremely lucky fledgling manager and one who should choose his words carefully in interviews such as yesterdays. Have aspirations by all means but have some respect for your club and its fans - not too much to ask really is it?

Well, I agree with you up to a point. Gus certainly wouldn't make a diplomat or a politician - he's 100% honest and just says what he thinks. I'm sure this could be seen as a weakness (including by some chairmen), but it's his honesty, conviction and force of personality that make him an engaging individual and the success that he is.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
To Gus's son (the one who reads stuff on the internet) - just show this thread to your dad to make him aware of the feelings - rational or otherwise - of BHAFC fans on this hot potato. Cheers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here