Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet on the Leeds Vacancy

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes this.

The thing that peed me off more than anything was the comment about Leeds being special. As though he is not at a special club now. Thinking about it, it is more because it is Leeds. Spurs, Chelsea special, I can see that, but Leeds? Really?
How far below Leeds are we in terms of being special and a big club in Poyets eyes?
I just didn't like the comments, I feel a bit different about him now.

They have won the Premiership, played in Europe, 2,000 of them turned up at the Amex for a Friday night game. They have a heritage and history we would love to have.

At the same time the Albion are on the up, but we have to be realistic about our potential, we can be a Norwich, get to the Prem if we are lucky, and ambition will be to avoid relegation, mid table at best, which would be a fantastic achievement, but Leeds Have done that and more.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Managing Brighton & Hove Albion, even in the top division, is not the pinnacle of a top manager's career - surely that doesn't come as a shock.

Why can't everyone just chill out about this? GP is very committed to Brighton, he loves having decision-making autonomy and having a major influence on the strategic direction of the club. He loves the cosmopolitan feel of the city. But one day he will probably move on and manage one of the four or five biggest clubs in the country, or perhaps a national team. Well, good luck to him! When that happens, there will be a queue of top managers wanting to come to one of the most progressive clubs in the country. The infrastructure the club is building means that its success is not dependent on one manager, however talented.

This is a good comment.

It puts into perspective the collection of knee jerk, insecure and even slightly hysterical comments that've accumulated on this thread.

Feb 14, 2010
Leeds get 23000 at home and will play to smaller crowds than us next season. Gus showed class in being nice about them, or was he patronising them... ?

Feb 14, 2010
They have won the Premiership, played in Europe, 2,000 of them turned up at the Amex for a Friday night game. They have a heritage and history we would love to have.

At the same time the Albion are on the up, but we have to be realistic about our potential, we can be a Norwich, get to the Prem if we are lucky, and ambition will be to avoid relegation, mid table at best, which would be a fantastic achievement, but Leeds Have done that and more.

I agree with almost all of that except Brighton historically have been bigger than Norwich and Brighton have never, except in 1910, fulfilled its potential. So Brighton is an unknown. The Leeds support is national and that obviously helps their away support, and Brighton is a weekend away. Brighton's support is mainly just Sussex and Leeds can be a weekend away, but not really like Brighton. Leeds are a big big club, but they will be playing to smaller gates than us next year.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Just to be pedantic, Leeds haven't won the Premiership, although they won the last Football League Championship before the FA Premier League began in 1992. But you're right on all other points. We can scoff at plenty of clubs with Premier League pretensions, but on heritage and gate potential Leeds should be fixtures in the top division. And the fact that my mum came from Leeds obviously has nothing to do with my opinion.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

You could say the same about Nottingham Forest though (OK, they haven't won the Prem but then neither have Leeds), would you say that Forest have more potential than Brighton?

Heritage is nice but there are other factors too.

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes this.

The thing that peed me off more than anything was the comment about Leeds being special. As though he is not at a special club now. Thinking about it, it is more because it is Leeds. Spurs, Chelsea special, I can see that, but Leeds? Really?
How far below Leeds are we in terms of being special and a big club in Poyets eyes?
I just didn't like the comments, I feel a bit different about him now.

And that's why I said, we should treat Gus how he treats us and stop the hero worshipping. He has a 5 year contract. His job is to get us to the premiership, once he has done this he can go where he wants. If he left earlier because we are not that the special club and he is getting impatient then :nono:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

We've got a future they would love to have, we'll leave it there.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I saw that quote, it is all over the place.

It is a disgrace. He may have well asked for the job outright. He even implied the terms he needed to take it - to be allowed to make all of the decisions.

You need to understand that as the supporters, we are the only loyal people in football. Gus and everyone else will go weh something better comes along.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The game from the origins of the premiership changed,changed before and continues to evolve-this is modern day football,we have a modern stadium,which in theory will serve us well into the next 50 years of the game..

What happens from now on is what counts,ask any club that has a history and does nothing now,what would they prefer? looking back at past glories,or still to be in a position to do what they did before?

Most would love what they had,but just as in life time overtakes their achievements,at the same time new teams and people take over-Brighton are in a great position to be a force for the next 30 years..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here