Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter watch

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Graham Potter won't leave Brighton to go to Everton I don't think. However, if it is true he is only on £1m per year then they will need to multiply his salary by at least 4 to match what Everton would offer.

That said. I don't even know how true these rumours even are.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Graham Potter won't leave Brighton to go to Everton I don't think. However, if it is true he is only on £1m per year then they will need to multiply his salary by at least 4 to match what Everton would offer.

At the moment he will struggle to find a better fit for his management style.
I suspect Potter believes in himself enough to think those offers will be around in the future too.

If he is capable of pushing us into the top half of the table and then maybe a cup final/push for Europe, his career will be set up for him.
He will move from promising young manager, to top Premier League manager/Head coach.

Alternatively he could take the money at Everton - running the risk of being sacked in 18 months and on the merry-go-round with all the others.

From what I've seen of him so far, I think the next 2-3 seasons at the Albion are far more appealing to him than starting again at a "big" club.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I suspect Potter believes in himself enough to think those offers will be around in the future too.

If he is capable of pushing us into the top half of the table and then maybe a cup final/push for Europe, his career will be set up for him.
He will move from promising young manager, to top Premier League manager/Head coach.

Alternatively he could take the money at Everton - running the risk of being sacked in 18 months and on the merry-go-round with all the others.

From what I've seen of him so far, I think the next 2-3 seasons at the Albion are far more appealing to him than starting again at a "big" club.

Well said. Potter is smart. He is likely to see it how you say it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Clearly, the Goldstone was.
When I said the biggest blow, I meant in personnel.

So will he go Nev?

Surely Tony will win him over with something???

Seems a pretty calculating character to me. I think he will stay because he is likely to get a better offer down the line. One or two decent seasons of results on top of the acknowledged style of play will be his breakthrough.

D

Deleted member 2719

Only on a managerial front (and plenty would disagree), but come on we have had far worse blows though, don’t be a drama queen :smile:

It would piss me off big time to lose GP and I’d wager that any “progress” demanded by some fans would take a hit
:drama:

Sorry, I am going to need a list of worse things to have happened to the Albion in the loss of main personnel???

Yes, people can always be replaced, but special people are a rarity.

I honestly believe if we lose him, all his amazing and work and progression with individuals will all be undone. He has only just overhauled the squad, we don't need any sort of transition again.

I have dreamed of my team Brighton playing football in the way we do and giving our young lads a chance to step up. He is going all the way.

It's a drama if he goes and this is a good instance to be a queen.:hilton:

SAC

May 21, 2014
I suspect that he will stay because no club has actually asked permission to talk to him. I would only worry if that had been made and agreed, anything more is the press needing to write 1000 word stories and bookies desperate for punters to lose money.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Look what taking the Everton job did to Marco Silva’s career. I’m sure he’s still counting his compo money from being sacked but he’s hardly on anyone’s list for a new manager these days.
I see that Duncan Ferguson wants the job. Who’s going to tell him that he hasn’t got it?!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Not rocket science is it?

But then again we only have these threads in order to feed the 'but I was told he's championship at best' line.

Despite the fact those that say it about every manager are long gone. (Until we lose 3 in a row, or the next manager arrives)
Those that weren't impressed by 2020, acknowledge 2021's upturn and have come away from the edge.
And those of us who are 'yeah but' are excited by the prospect of a strong start to next season.

Making the pearl clutching swoon at GPott being 4th favourite for job being offered to everyone else all a bit silly.

If IF GPott has the season all but 3 posters are anticipating, in 12 months time he could be odds on for the Utd job.
Just imagine how 'funny' the line 'but I heard he was shitehouse' will be then.

D

Deleted member 2719

Seems a pretty calculating character to me. I think he will stay because he is likely to get a better offer down the line. One or two decent seasons of results on top of the acknowledged style of play will be his breakthrough.

I agree, but when you have an agent in your ear, screaming take the cash now Graham, anything can happen, look at Murray, apparently, he loved us.............or our location.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I do think that a couple more seasons of good results will line him up for a top job somewhere in Europe whether those 2 seasons of good results are with us or Everton. He has had time to build what he wants with us, to enable another two seasons of success, so I'm not sure he will risk that to go back to the drawing board to try and achieve the same with Everton (fingers crossed) :wink:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I agree with the first part but not the second. Who would that be? If GP leaves, he'll take most of his coaching staff with him and who does that leave? Ashworth? I can't see him wanting it. Bruno? Maybe but he's inexperienced. Crofts? Even more inexperienced. Morling and Beard? Experience with kids doesn't necessarily translate to experience with adults. Winstanley? No chance.

That only leaves Powell and I really can't see her taking a step into the men's game.

No, if Potter leaves (and I don't think he will, not this summer anyway), we'll recruit from outside. I've no idea who but I'm sure that Barber and Bloom have ideas
I'm pretty certain it would be Bruno if looking inside the club but that only works if he is seriously learning from Potter.

Some Stockport fans are now worrying we will poach Rusk if Potter goes but that has to be a miniscule possibility. For a start Jones is way more likely if we go down down that road.

I still think Mazzù at Union SG is on an extended interview, and of course there is his predecessor at USG, Luka Elsner now at Kortrijk.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
No chance Potter's going to Everton, he's too intelligent to do that even if they did go for him.

Look how good his reputation is now and the clubs he's being linked with on the back of a season finishing in 16th. If we have a good season next and do finish top half, or very close to it, playing the football we have this season and still bringing through young players, the clubs above Everton's level will be queuing up for him.

He will manage at the very top level one day but he's still young and there's no rush for him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I suspect that he will stay because no club has actually asked permission to talk to him. I would only worry if that had been made and agreed, anything more is the press needing to write 1000 word stories and bookies desperate for punters to lose money.

The rumours have come from a parody Alan Myers Twitter account saying the talks are fairly advanced, but as SAC has rightly said, nobody has even asked Brighton for permission to actually talk to him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm pretty certain it would be Bruno if looking inside the club but that only works if he is seriously learning from Potter.

Some Stockport fans are now worrying we will poach Rusk if Potter goes but that has to be a miniscule possibility. For a start Jones is way more likely if we go down down that road.

I still think Mazzù at Union SG is on an extended interview, and of course there is his predecessor at USG, Luka Elsner now at Kortrijk.

It's way, way too early for Bruno. He's been coaching for two years and is not even assistant coach. If Potter were to leave this summer, Mazzù must be a good shout. I can't think of many other current managers in England who'd be worth a shout (unless they want to go really leftfield and look at Emma Hayes).

If they do want to appoint ex-Albion, then Rosenior would be a good bet (and what's Calde doing with himself these days?)

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

I agree with this. I can't see him going to Everton.

But, to play devil's advocate, Lets say Tony Bloom has said to him there will not be money available for that much needed striker, and we will be selling out best player (Bissouma). He may then see us struggling in a relegation fight again this coming season and the extra money and the chance of a top 7 finish at Everton would seem much more appealing.

Like I said, I think you're right, but Football is a funny old game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here