Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter watch

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Clearly, the Goldstone was.
When I said the biggest blow, I meant in personnel.

So will he go Nev?

Surely Tony will win him over with something???

Only my opinion ,but with regard to personnel, in all the years I have been a Brighton supporter, there was no bigger blow than losing Mark Lawrenson.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I do not see the draw of going to Everton at all, not until the new stadium is built at least anyway. They are constantly the nearly team bobbing around between 10th and 7th, they have not got the class or players to make the top six and don't seem to try and win a domestic cup. Forever in the shadow of their neighbours for the past 30 years, it is a thankless boring job, no project no stepping stone to greatness.

Potter would get far more credit and accolades for getting us in the top ten than Everton finishing 7th, that bigger job will come.
He is better than Everton, the perennial borefest of a team.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Even that worked out alright in the end, thanks to the tireless work of the committed.

It wasn't the ideal path to take though

I know it's for the other thread but a redeveloped Goldstone would be better.

I really don't get the appeal of Everton and I don't think GP will either at present, he has more to prove in finishing the job here which will propel him higher in the long run. The danger for me is IF he went he'd take a few players and we'd likely get relegated in the rebuild. TB may have to break the bank to keep him if his heads swayed.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Although Potter jumped ship relatively quickly to us from Swansea, it must be remembered and counts for something that he remained loyal to his project in a small minor country Sweden managing Östersund for 6-7years that speaks volumes for his commitment to a project.

Apart from insulting Swansman :) I have just jinxed us... haven't I :facepalm:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Only my opinion ,but with regard to personnel, in all the years I have been a Brighton supporter, there was no bigger blow than losing Mark Lawrenson.

Although the deal simultaneously opened up a space for Gary Stevens and brought in Jimmy Case.

D

Deleted member 2719

I was less passionate about the Albion back then as was playing football, although lawro was clearly class, perhaps he would not have such an impact on the whole team as Potter would if we lost him IMO.

yes but i would have to say losing Glenn to Palace just before the Amex era was (in hindsight maybe) our biggest blow.

Although Glenn could have an impact, I just feel if you rely on one player, you're only going to have only a short term gain, as we did with Bobby.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I agree, but when you have an agent in your ear, screaming take the cash now Graham, anything can happen, look at Murray, apparently, he loved us.............or our location.

A footballers career is short - it makes absolute sense to take the money for them.
A manager's career can be a lot longer but more precarious.
To enable a long career, a manager needs to create a reputation that will make them appealing for a certain type of job.
Pullis and Allardyce have their relegation avoiding reputation.
Ancellotti/Mourinho have the serial winners tag.
Dyche and Hodgson do well at organising teams and getting an underdog spirit going in a club.

Potter knows his appeal comes from developing young and underrated players.
He's a moneyball Chairman's dream.
He made his name taking an unfashionable Swedish team to the Europa League.
Do that with us and his reputation will be complete.

As others have said, taking Everton to the Europa League..... well frankly they should be doing that anyway, with the money spent.
It does nothing for Potter's future employment prospects.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep, sure looks like Nuno has been tapped on the shoulder by Everton…

A complete no brainer if true.

Palace in disarray with not many contracted senior players and Wilf wanting out or Everton with a pretty full squad and money to invest (probably)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Nuno to Everton is the obvious choice IMO. he did well at Wolves and could do better with Everton. We will whizz past Wolves and be on Evertons tails if we maintain squad and add a few key players.

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
Clutching at straws but Potter seems well set on his backroom staff which may not be so easy to bring in at Everton....Big Dunc appears irremovable and clearly rated by the hierarchy and fans..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here