Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter was a terrible coach at Swansea too

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Also, what’s the correlation between a fan being disappointed in the results under Potter and “stabbing our good Chairman in the back” ?

I would have thought that all of our fans are disappointed with the results under Potter this season (not last season when we recorded our record Premier League finish). Those questioning Bloom’s ability as Chairman (by demanding that Potter should have already been sacked) are the stabbers, they are diminishing in number every week now.

Let’s not confuse those who question Potter’s tactics etc with the Potter Out Campaign. I’m certainly disappointed with our finishing this season and how we have been defending set-pieces. To me, these things seem fixable under Potter’s leadership and Bloom’s long term plan.

What do I not see as fixable?

The team performance from attitude to tactics and quality in the game against Millwall with Hyypia in charge, the team was broken.

In retrospect, the 9 game winless streak at the end of 18/19. The performances against Cardiff & Bournemouth were stark and showed us how little we off as an attacking threat if Murray, Groß or Dunk’n’Duffy don’t take the one or two chances we were creating every match.

We are building a hugely resilient team. I’m so proud of them and the manager in the fight back against Wolves and how they overcame the disappointment of Newport’s last minute equaliser. The basics are there for us to be successful. We just need patience and perhaps a bit of luck (and maybe a new Striker).

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Could you give me a list of left backs which meet the criteria and budget, work permit availability, player attitude on and off the pitch?

Of course you can’t so stop talking utter bollocks. It takes huge resources to find players and managers surely your not that thick.

Brandon Williams.. Loan from Man Utd until end of season when our Polish lad joins. A player that is young, needs to develop (Can't nail down place in 1st team) , clearly has some ability (has been in 1st team) , and allows us to be flexible in our approach.. play 4-3-3- for example.
Not a list, granted, but a reasonable suggestion, in a position we currently have very little cover but have a long term plan for.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I would have thought that all of our fans are disappointed with the results under Potter this season (not last season when we recorded our record Premier League finish). Those questioning Bloom’s ability as Chairman (by demanding that Potter should have already been sacked) are the stabbers, they are diminishing in number every week now.

Let’s not confuse those who question Potter’s tactics etc with the Potter Out Campaign. I’m certainly disappointed with our finishing this season and how we have been defending set-pieces. To me, these things seem fixable under Potter’s leadership and Bloom’s long term plan.

The team performance from attitude to tactics and quality in the game against Millwall with Hyypia in charge, the team was broken.

In retrospect, the 9 game winless streak at the end of 18/19. The performances against Cardiff & Bournemouth were stark and showed us how little we off as an attacking threat if Murray, Groß or Dunk’n’Duffy don’t take the one or two chances we were creating every match.

We are building a hugely resilient team. I’m so proud of them and the manager in the fight back against Wolves and how they overcame the disappointment of Newport’s last minute equaliser. The basics are there for us to be successful. We just need patience and perhaps a bit of luck (and maybe a new Striker).

But I think that being proud of a fight back against Wolves and overcoming the disappointment of Newport’s last minute equaliser shows how low we've sunk. We really don't have much to point to other than damn statistics (and lies).

To pick a team with none of our recognised strikers playing and when we need the points is the height of either arrogance or naivety.

As I've said in voting before, I seriously question Potter's grasp of the squad and his tactics. At this stage, I'm not prepared to rely on the data as the management tried to rely on the data with Sami and in the end he had to walk. Let's remember, he wasn't sacked.

I truly think that TB is hanging onto Potter because he has no alternatives at this stage. Let's hope that the data and stats do turn into results, but right now I think every coach in the land knows precisely how Brighton are going to play.

I'm not part of a Potter Out campaign. I really want him to succeed. But based on what I am witnessing, it is just not working. Do I think we need a striker? Much more than maybe. We definitely need a striker. But the Board knew this two seasons ago and they've not really replaced Glenn. We've instead tried a few fixes and cut price purchases, but it hasn't worked.

I'll add, I'm not part of any Barber Out campaign either. On the whole, the management has been brilliant. We've just made a big error and we now need to dig ourselves out.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
From the Argus

Albion head coach Graham Potter believes their win over Newport County in the FA Cup on Sunday has united his squad.

The Seagulls beat the League Two side 4-3 on penalties after Newport had pegged them back with the last kick of the game to leave the scores level at 1-1 after 90 minutes.

However, despite Potter describing the game as ‘traumatic’ after the victory on Sunday, he believes the result has brought his players together.

He said: “We hope so, the group has been really good, sometimes you need those games, those tough situations and we have got a tough week this week.

“We needed to use the group on Sunday and we will need to use it again this week. That in itself means everyone is fighting together.

“It’s something we want to try and use to be positive.

“Winning football matches however it happens is nice, and it was a tough game on Sunday so we’re happy to go through.”

To me this does sound as if he is well aware that all is not good in the camp. The fact he rarely says anything of note to reporters this is significant in my view. We need to show a togetherness and a lot more steeliness in our performances. Serious questions need to be asked about the attitude of some players, are they with us or not? If not **** off.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
From the Argus

Albion head coach Graham Potter believes their win over Newport County in the FA Cup on Sunday has united his squad.

The Seagulls beat the League Two side 4-3 on penalties after Newport had pegged them back with the last kick of the game to leave the scores level at 1-1 after 90 minutes.

However, despite Potter describing the game as ‘traumatic’ after the victory on Sunday, he believes the result has brought his players together.

He said: “We hope so, the group has been really good, sometimes you need those games, those tough situations and we have got a tough week this week.

“We needed to use the group on Sunday and we will need to use it again this week. That in itself means everyone is fighting together.

“It’s something we want to try and use to be positive.

“Winning football matches however it happens is nice, and it was a tough game on Sunday so we’re happy to go through.”

To me this does sound as if he is well aware that all is not good in the camp. The fact he rarely says anything of note to reporters this is significant in my view. We need to show a togetherness and a lot more steeliness in our performances. Serious questions need to be asked about the attitude of some players, are they with us or not? If not **** off.

They just look like a bunch of strangers thrown together nowadays. I realise that the opportunities for team bonding sessions are largely unavailable due to covid, but surely there's SOMETHING that can be done in that direction? Don't much care if they don't want to play for the manager, but if they don't want to play for each other either, then that doesn't really leave a lot to build on

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The basics are there for us to be successful. We just need patience and perhaps a bit of luck (and maybe a new Striker).

How long is long anough to be patient ? 1 year ? 2 years ?

you make your own luck.

We do need a striker, a proven one, and a left back, unlkess GP has the balls to play Bernardo long enough for him to regain his confidence . . .I wouldn't be suprised to see him play tomorrow.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

you make your own luck.

We do need a striker, a proven one,

Who is a 'proven striker' in the PL just out of interest?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Put in simple terms, football is a results led business, and if your team has failed to win a home game in a whole calendar year, then l think the fans have every right to question their manager's ability.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
My biggest issue with Potter is that talks constantly about "learning" and "lessons" like some kind of primary school teacher (Add the word humble in as well) but there is no evidence on the pitch we learn absolutely anything. Game after game we concede set piece goals (to the point I've backed the oppo centre half to score any time most games), slow down the play too much, overplay in key areas, play short passes when the big men are up in the box at a set piece and fail to adapt when the other team makes tactical changes. It is like Groundhog day whenever I switch the telly on. His decision making is at fault as well. Burn is not good enough at LB at this level. Connolly - I'm afraid to say - is not clinical enough at least at this time and Ali J should have gone in the summer. Yet week after week we chop and change the team to "give everyone a chance" like its an Under 10s squad. I think we need a more basic approach.

Stop being too clever.
Start playing your best team as much as you can
Stop playing players who aren't good enough
Defend set pieces better
Don't ever say the word Humble in an interview ever again.

I'm just about Potter in but it won't take much to tip me over the edge. Maupay taking another pen for example would do it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Who is a 'proven striker' in the PL just out of interest?

a striker who has 3+ years with consistent, say 10+, goals (not penalties) in a top league in Europe, not monkey tennis league, so Germany/Spain/Italy/France or England.

clearly the issue is budgetary or we'd have got one 3 years ago when we needed one.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

We should be looking at the patience of the Aston Villa, Southampton, Man Utd and to a certain extent Arsenal boards. We should be comfortably mid-table Premier League (no relegation fears) in year 3 of Potter’s reign in my opinion (or top 3 Championship if Potter has been hit with horrific luck with injuries/VAR etc).

How many Southampton fans were wrong to call for Hasslenut’s head when Leicester destroyed them? Their board and chairman kept focus on the long term strategic plan instead of the emotions and short termism of their fans; they are now reaping the rewards.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We should be looking at the patience of the Aston Villa, Southampton, Man Utd and to a certain extent Arsenal boards. We should be comfortably mid-table Premier League (no relegation fears) in year 3 of Potter’s reign in my opinion (or top 3 Championship if Potter has been hit with horrific luck with injuries/VAR etc).

How many Southampton fans were wrong to call for Hasslenut’s head when Leicester destroyed them? Their board and chairman kept focus on the long term strategic plan instead of the emotions and short termism of their fans; they are now reaping the rewards.
Can we stop with the Southampton comparison we all know without Ings they are quite ordinary. Which goes back to the Adam Virgo interview instead of buying in 5-6 players between 1m -6m put all your eggs in one basket and buy some quality even if it’s every other season.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

Hasenhüttl had many wins under his belt before then though - and had guided the side away from a relegation battle. He gave fans and the board something to believe in. A reason to back him.

Also, I doubt a single Southampton fan said they wanted Hasenhüttl before he was appointed, so by the logic shown by the potty Potter fans above, Saints really should have stuck with Mark Hughes. :dunce:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Josh King for one. Sure, he'd want paying the going rate, but wouldn't anyone with the qualities that we need? Maybe we could unload a couple of players in the opposite direction to sweeten the deal

It seems pretty clear that we are not prepared to pay the going rate for an established PL level striker so goalscoring will remain a problem unless we strike lucky with one of our lesser mortals.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The poster selectively choses not to answer certain questions, I doubt you will get a reply.

He doesn't need to reply. His questioner has chosen to disregard the fact the OP is a serial offender in his crusade to get Potter out, and has made silly po-faced comments to someone who recognises this. Why should he reply? There are existant threads bemoaning Potter's performance. The scorn is about Desperate's need to start yet another thread on it. I say that, as I noted earlier, as someone who considers that if Bloom sacks Potter today I won't even blink.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hasenhüttl had many wins under his belt before then though - and had guided the side away from a relegation battle. He gave fans and the board something to believe in. A reason to back him.

Also, I doubt a single Southampton fan said they wanted Hasenhüttl before he was appointed, so by the logic shown by the potty Potter fans above, Saints really should have stuck with Mark Hughes. :dunce:

I hesitate to point out that when you gamble you don't always win.

Christian Grossly incompetant.JPG

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He doesn't need to reply. His questioner has chosen to disregard the fact the OP is a serial offender in his crusade to get Potter out, and has made silly po-faced comments to someone who recognises this. Why should he reply? There are existant threads bemoaning Potter's performance. The scorn is about Desperate's need to start yet another thread on it. I say that, as I noted earlier, as someone who considers that if Bloom sacks Potter today I won't even blink.
I was interested in hearing why the poster in question is on a crusade to back Potter and yet wanted the best manager we have had in the last 40 odd years out after suffering half a bad season :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You're wasting your breath. Some have reached the equivalent mind set of those determined to ditch the missus because there is bound to be someone fitter they haven't met yet :shrug:

Call me a calculating b'stard but I'd rather make sure the house isn't on fire, before jumping out of a warm frying pan.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

If I think of any more analogies and aphorisms I'll be laughing, and he who laughs last laughs the longest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here