Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter was a terrible coach at Swansea too

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Lallana on 90k a week? That is looking like a very poor investment so far. I am also pretty disappointed with what he has contributed when he has played. It was a gamble that looks to have backfired. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong over the rest of the season. Fingers crossed

Have to agree. I was initially very sceptical of Lallana signing but got won over by the euphoria here.

So far, have to say he hasn’t done enough. And I’m more concerned that he can’t even play more than one half.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we go down thats it, we won't bounce back. I don't (or can't) have a problem with that but I very much doubt its in TB's little black book of financial plans for progress. I'm sure he's got a back up plan for when we do go down, it's probaby got 'sell' written in it somewhere.

Has it also got “sack” in there somewhere do you think?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Radio Sussex during and after matches have repeatedly covered the bad habit of Jahanbakhsh clearly breaking GP's orders by coming inside and taking Lallana's space. So a factor to consider when Lallana isn't shining.

Which kind of highlights GP's naivety/incompetence with player selection and formation.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
If we go down thats it, we won't bounce back. I don't (or can't) have a problem with that but I very much doubt its in TB's little black book of financial plans for progress. I'm sure he's got a back up plan for when we do go down, it's probaby got 'sell' written in it somewhere.

Actually from comments Barber has made, it seems the club are realistic that relegation will happen eventually. It’s probably inevitable, as most clubs outside the top 7 have gone down at one point.

Hence the longer term, sustainable view Bloom is taking.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Have to agree. I was initially very sceptical of Lallana signing but got won over by the euphoria here.

So far, have to say he hasn’t done enough. And I’m more concerned that he can’t even play more than one half.

I think Lallana has done well when he's played but, despite his injury record, I'm amazed at just how fragile he seems. I can't see him playing beyond this season if he's only managing 45 mins here and there.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
For sure. But it's going to involve a helluva lot of pain in the short and medium term, always assuming his genuine intention is to stick with the project longtime

A helluva lot of pain in the short and medium term eh? well as Albion fans aren't we already used to that in the long term?, part and parcel of supporting this club of ours over the years l would have thought.

Let's face it, with a club like this, we have to get used to watching a fair amount of Championship football over the coming years, interspersed one hopes, with spells in the Premier League.

With our owner, and the amount of money he is able, or willing, to spend, that's just the way that it will have to be, and l for one have no problem with that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Feels like rehashing the same convo. It gets tiring after a while. I have a long term view of what Potter and Bloom are doing, that isn’t influenced by narrow sighted short term ism. Especially given GP kept us up last season playing brilliant football with a record points total and blooding young players.

- Hughton had taken us as far as he could
- tactically inflexible
- didn’t have faith in young players enough (you may agree/disagree, but that is clearly important to Bloom)
- played backs to the wall all out defence in nearly every game
- could barely get a shot on target away from home
- couldn’t get any points away from home
- getting demolished by Bournemouth and Cardiff at home was the final straw

I love CH but that’s the truth.
You have the nerve to call people out for knee jerk reactions yet admitted you called for the managers head after a poor second half of the notoriously difficult PL second season :facepalm:

Did you want Chris out after we beat Man Utd twice at home? Something Potter hasn’t achieved in two seasons.

Did you want Chris out after beating Palace home and away? Something Potter hasn’t achieved in two seasons.

Did you want Chris out after beating West Ham home and away comfortably? Something Potter hasn’t achieved in two seasons.

We can make comparisons all day long one thing we could always guarantee with CH was home wins, enough to see us through to the next PL season.

There is a difference with having faith in youngsters and if they are good enough I personally think he called Connolly right and he needed a championship season for one example.

As I’ve said on occasion the dip in form coincided with the loss of Jose we could no longer play on the break which was a big part of the CH game plan.

Personally I think Bloom knee jerked and it might come back to bite him in a few months when we are back in the championship. Good job Man Utd didn’t knee jerk after Fergie had a few bad seasons when he first took over and believe we could of built something great under CH in the long term shame we will never find out.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think Lallana has done well when he's played but, despite his injury record, I'm amazed at just how fragile he seems. I can't see him playing beyond this season if he's only managing 45 mins here and there.

I tend to agree, Liverpool might not have let him go quite so readily otherwise.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Actually from comments Barber has made, it seems the club are realistic that relegation will happen eventually. It’s probably inevitable, as most clubs outside the top 7 have gone down at one point.

If it were a normal season with £1m a week in pie/pint/tix sales coming in I could see the financiial viability of going down, flog a few, bring on yoof, bounce back in a year or two, maybe.

right now, staying in the PL for the TV money must be highest priority. unless TB has another £50-100m to burn just to keep us ticking over until next year when we can have a few fans back in the ground.

Assuming gp doesnt get sacked, surely he must get a rocket up his arse to the tune of play a game to win a match. **** the glittery daydream through his special kaleidascope. that can come later when appropriate.

I'd like us to go Wimbledon stylee vs Man City, more chance of getting a result, or something equally preposterous, like 4-4-2 and some direct fight.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If it were a normal season with £1m a week in pie/pint/tix sales coming in I could see the financiial viability of going down, flog a few, bring on yoof, bounce back in a year or two, maybe.

right now, staying in the PL for the TV money must be highest priority. unless TB has another £50-100m to burn just to keep us ticking over until next year when we can have a few fans back in the ground.

Assuming gp doesnt get sacked, surely he must get a rocket up his arse to the tune of play a game to win a match. **** the glittery daydream through his special kaleidascope. that can come later when appropriate.

I'd like us to go Wimbledon stylee vs Man City, more chance of getting a result, or something equally preposterous, like 4-4-2 and some direct fight.

To go Wimbledon stylee you need Wimbledon stylee players. Have we ANY of those?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Hassenhuttl took over when Saints were in 17th in 18/19. They finished that season in 16th. Potter effectively took over BHA in exactly the same position (we were 17th at the end of 18/19), and we finished in 15th in 19/20. I think the analogy is quite good - Potter gave us something to believe in in his first season, but we've got to a point where some doubt has crept in (as it did with Saints when they lost 9-0 last season - and although results improved after that, it wasn't a quick miracle turnaround).

Hassenhuttl's record in his first (almost half) season was P24 W8 D6 L10 - decent for a struggling team, and only one less win than Potter in his complete first year.

That was enough to keep him in his job despite a terrible run at the beginning of last season (although they beat us, of course).

He turned things around within 12 months of joining.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
To go Wimbledon stylee you need Wimbledon stylee players. Have we ANY of those?

we have a few giraffes, but they can't head it. Bissouma is suspended. err. good point.

howe about we fanny around for 90 minutes and get caught on the break after a sloppy mistake 3 times, conceed a corner for the 4th and a free kick for the other after Propper gets thrown a plasma hot potato from a defensive mistake.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Of course we are going to get relegated at some point, within the next few years almost certainly l would have thought.

Surely we didn't need Paul Barber to make us realise that? We are all sensible people here aren't we? :facepalm:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Of course we are going to get relegated at some point, within the next few years almost certainly l would have thought.

Surely we didn't need Paul Barber to make us realise that? We are all sensible people here aren't we? :facepalm:

Well If you read who I was replying to, the gentleman was claiming that if we go down it’s not in Blooms plans and that was it.

I’m suggesting that whilst not desired obviously, relegation has probably been a discussed and accounted for scenario whilst striving for long term sustainability.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013

Well I wouldn't say all, I'm an ignoramus. Potter OUT..:drama:

Going completely off topic for a moment, was it you that suggested Jayden Bogle a couple of years ago? He does look like a decent PL player these days :thumbsup:

I was Omar Bogle lol god knows where he is ha

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I was going to say - Josh King does not fit the bill. Especially if you take 'penalties' out of the equation, I don't think he has ever scored more than 10 goals in a season has he ?

£15M for a player with 6 months on his contract and no sell on value doesn't really fit the bill does it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here