Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter was a terrible coach at Swansea too

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I mean a game against Newport County with a strong team. We need to get that first win to start to build our confidence. I get that Newport often does well against teams higher up the league, but its still not a win.

Newport... Often does well? They’re probably the most highly-rated giant killers in the pyramid over the last few seasons and they get extract every advantage from a shared code pitch. And this season they’ve been at the top of their league most of the campaign. The ****ing ball was bobbling like popcorn on a hot plate. We got thru a really tough tie despite trying to gift them the win and that’s the untold narrative of the night. There is some bottle in our squad.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
What would be depressing is finishing 17th or 16th in this league every single season. Putting up with the huge prices, stupid kickoff times and corporate shithouseary for seven ish wins a season for ever more, however nicely we play.

And before anyone pulls out the entitled card I'd far prefer kicking around some of the more interesting grounds in League One at 3pm on a Saturday to that.

Whether its Potter in or out, the two sides of the NSC will always keep on disagreeing.
Whichever way this season goes, we're all going to have to suffer the consequences.
TB has to make some hard decisions sooner, rather than later.
When he does, we’ll all be back here again playing the in / out game.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Newport... Often does well? They’re probably the most highly-rated giant killers in the pyramid over the last few seasons and they get extract every advantage from a shared code pitch. And this season they’ve been at the top of their league most of the campaign. The ****ing ball was bobbling like popcorn on a hot plate. We got thru a really tough tie despite trying to gift them the win and that’s the untold narrative of the night. There is some bottle in our squad.

Quite. They were hugely advantaged by knowing every sandcastle and every mud pie on that 'pitch'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have yet to see a replacement manager suggested who would be able to step in and improve us whilst not needing to spend a fortune doing it. I guess it’s not your job to make suggestions though, would I be right?

Kinda weakens the argument for getting shot of him imo. It needs to be someone with experience at this level too, surely. Or do we just take another punt with half a season left? Not a single sensible and realistic suggestion made by the outters, that I am aware of, which tells it’s own story. Change for change’s sake.

I agree with you.

To say 'I, a fan, demand Potter out but I, a fan, insist it is the job of the owner to find a suitable replacement and is nothing to do with what I think' is having one's cake and eating it. The obvious reply to it is that it is the job of the chairman to decide whether Potter stays or goes. If the chairman sacks Potter today I won't even blink. If he keeps him on, so be it.

It is perfectly reasonable to moan about the results and the play, but we fans have to support the manager just like we support the team. That said, given how some of our players get slagged off on NSC, of course the manager will also be dug out. Surprised there isn't a desperate thread agitating for the board to be sacked and Bloom ousted, frankly :shrug:

Sure, players not making an effort, players dicking about away from the club to the detriment of their ability to play, players agitating for a move, they deserve criticism, but the rest? How easy is it for armchair 'fans' to post 'not good enough, get rid' opinions on NSC. These are our players here. We saw the Maupay interview after the last league game. A few people perhaps though 'oh, maybe he's not the lazy sulky shitehouse muppet I've said we should get rid, after all'. Yeah, funny that. Brighton player actually gives a shit. Likewise, the Brighton manager possibly isn't some PE teacher who fell into the job like Chauncey Gardiner in 'Being there'. Maybe Bloom does know what he's doing? Maybe his opinion is more important than ours? Maybe starting campaigns to undermine and denigrate Potter, even before he came to the Albion is misguided?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, you're right! It's really not the job of supporters to line-up replacement managers. Never has been.

Nope, change to avoid relegation.

Truth be told you can’t even think of one who you think could step in can you? When has that EVER happened before? Never because there were always out of work managers who could possibly improve us. I genuinely don’t believe there is one, other than another gamble and that’s go to be a madness route to go down, with only half a season left and not even being in the relegation zone.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The last time I looked this was a discussion forum, not an extension of the official club site.

If you disagree with what is being said then come back at it in a reasonable and intelligent way, don't wave imaginary cards at the mods and try to dominate the agenda.

I don't agree with Dan on much and I don't agree with the exact way he's phrased the thread title but changing a thread title fundamentally changes his point and the forcefulness with which it is made. I have, however, made similar points about issues at Swansea as have plenty of others. It's that you need to defend on this thread. Swanny does a fairly good job of it in the main.

I write this in a personal capacity and not on behalf of all the mods by the way, but it might interest you to know I'm by no means the only moderator who has had enough of Potter and his lovely football and poor results.

Well I did reply in kind. I think it’s a dumbass title.. sorry, and I think it’s an embarrassment to NSC and by virtue anyone of us who contribute here. And you want me to reply in an intelligent way to a title like that?

“Potter woz a bad coach at Swansea too”

Bad coach how? By coaching players? Evidently not given the glowing references from young players both here and elsewhere. The article itself is raising nothing new and nothing I haven’t actually mentioned myself (set pieces). The title is just horrific and just seems a bit tabloid and mean spirited.

What was your justification for the thread title “hopefully the end of Connolly” out of interest?

What a depressing reply.

100% agree.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Great post.

To me, this kind of pathetic and spiteful loss of any reasonableness and perspective is like stabbing our good Chairman in the back after all he has done.

Is it? Or in reality is it just another thread being outraged that people hold an opinion that differs to their own? Also, what’s the correlation between a fan being disappointed in the results under Potter and “stabbing our good Chairman in the back” ? Yes, some of the language being used has been a bit coarse at times but equally the responses are filled with spite and venom, this is not a one way street.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
What would be depressing is finishing 17th or 16th in this league every single season. Putting up with the huge prices, stupid kickoff times and corporate shithouseary for seven ish wins a season for ever more, however nicely we play.

And before anyone pulls out the entitled card I'd far prefer kicking around some of the more interesting grounds in League One at 3pm on a Saturday to that.

As someone who is 100% pro Potter, I disagree as we are incrementally becoming more and more competitive and I don't believe we are destined to be 17th forevermore.

However, yours is a far more compelling argument than most of the anti Potter nonsense posted on this site.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Well I did reply in kind. I think it’s a dumbass title.. sorry, and I think it’s an embarrassment to NSC and by virtue anyone of us who contribute here. And you want me to reply in an intelligent way to a title like that?

Bad coach how? By coaching players? Evidently not given the glowing references from young players both here and elsewhere. The article itself is raising nothing new and nothing I haven’t actually mentioned myself (set pieces). The title is just horrific and just seems a bit tabloid and mean spirited.

What was your justification for the thread title “hopefully the end of Connolly” out of interest?

100% agree.

Why when you’re paraphrasing somebody else do you feel the need to dumb down the language?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I have yet to see a replacement manager suggested who would be able to step in and improve us whilst not needing to spend a fortune doing it. I guess it’s not your job to make suggestions though, would I be right?

Kinda weakens the argument for getting shot of him imo. It needs to be someone with experience at this level too, surely. Or do we just take another punt with half a season left? Not a single sensible and realistic suggestion made by the outters, that I am aware of, which tells it’s own story. Change for change’s sake.
Could you give me a list of left backs which meet the criteria and budget, work permit availability, player attitude on and off the pitch?

Of course you can’t so stop talking utter bollocks. It takes huge resources to find players and managers surely your not that thick.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’ve got several Swansea supporting friends, a couple of them season ticket holders, who were all upset that he left them.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I agree with you.

To say 'I, a fan, demand Potter out but I, a fan, insist it is the job of the owner to find a suitable replacement and is nothing to do with what I think' is having one's cake and eating it. The obvious reply to it is that it is the job of the chairman to decide whether Potter stays or goes. If the chairman sacks Potter today I won't even blink. If he keeps him on, so be it.

It is perfectly reasonable to moan about the results and the play, but we fans have to support the manager just like we support the team. That said, given how some of our players get slagged off on NSC, of course the manager will also be dug out. Surprised there isn't a desperate thread agitating for the board to be sacked and Bloom ousted, frankly :shrug:

Sure, players not making an effort, players dicking about away from the club to the detriment of their ability to play, players agitating for a move, they deserve criticism, but the rest? How easy is it for armchair 'fans' to post 'not good enough, get rid' opinions on NSC. These are our players here. We saw the Maupay interview after the last league game. A few people perhaps though 'oh, maybe he's not the lazy sulky shitehouse muppet I've said we should get rid, after all'. Yeah, funny that. Brighton player actually gives a shit. Likewise, the Brighton manager possibly isn't some PE teacher who fell into the job like Chauncey Gardiner in 'Being there'. Maybe Bloom does know what he's doing? Maybe his opinion is more important than ours? Maybe starting campaigns to undermine and denigrate Potter, even before he came to the Albion is misguided?

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

100% agree.

Vagabond I agree with your stance on this and the Connolly thread.

My suggestion, to you and anyone else who feels the same is just to never comment on them (I realise I am commenting, but this was top of the board anyway :)). Hopefully then they will sink down to page 7425 where they deserve to be

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Vagabond I agree with your stance on this and the Connolly thread.

My suggestion, to you and anyone else who feels the same is just to never comment on them (I realise I am commenting, but this was top of the board anyway :)). Hopefully then they will sink down to page 7425 where they deserve to be

Good advice [emoji106] it’s hard to refrain sometimes but you’re 100% correct.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Free speech.

Presumably it's actually easier for you to argue your case against thread titles like that, no? If every negative post about a player or coach was reasonable and measured you'd have a lot harder job defending them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here