Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter was a terrible coach at Swansea too

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
Think Fulham will make or break Potter if we don't win at city or leeds . Win everyone happy even me draw potter out and in stay the same on here if we lose Potter out will be louder

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
The trouble is we don't know what the answer is. Sacking Potter now might make things worse but if we got his replacement right, then perhaps it would make things better, who knows. The question is when do you look at the situation and say Potter can't get us out of this situation. It isn't a knee jerk reaction its been going on for 12 months and at some point you have to hold your hands up and say enough is enough.

a 9-0 defeat is different from a long run of being out of form. Ralph Hussenhuttl signed in December 2018 after they decided Mark Hughes wasn't the answer. He was manager for 27 games and had 5 wins. Graham Potter has 5 wins over a much longer period so even worse form. So if you want to bring up how Sam is doing I will raise you how Hussenhuttl is doing.

If we replaced Potter we don't know if it will be a sam appointment or Hussenhuttl appointment.

pretty much agree with all of this; therefore, logically, all i can do is trust in bloomy! (and jump on the mental, african, bandwagon of positivity)

it might well be enough! :albion2:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
pretty much agree with all of this; therefore, logically, all i can do is trust in bloomy! (and jump on the mental, african, bandwagon of positivity)

it might well be enough! :albion2:

That is true all we can do is trust in Bloom, but at the moment its easier said than done for some of us.:tantrum:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The trouble is we don't know what the answer is. Sacking Potter now might make things worse but if we got his replacement right, then perhaps it would make things better, who knows. The question is when do you look at the situation and say Potter can't get us out of this situation. It isn't a knee jerk reaction its been going on for 12 months and at some point you have to hold your hands up and say enough is enough.

a 9-0 defeat is different from a long run of being out of form. Ralph Hussenhuttl signed in December 2018 after they decided Mark Hughes wasn't the answer. He was manager for 27 games and had 5 wins. Graham Potter has 5 wins over a much longer period so even worse form. So if you want to bring up how Sam is doing I will raise you how Hussenhuttl is doing.

If we replaced Potter we don't know if it will be a sam appointment or Hussenhuttl appointment.

Hassenhuttl had Saints on 15 points and 18th in the table after 17 games last season.

Would you say we have been unlucky in even just a couple of games this season? I just want to point out, that if two of the draws had been wins, we would be 14th, above Newcastle. I feel we have been unlucky in more than just a couple though, and we should be sitting mid table, or higher.

I reckon luck averages out over a season though, and so Potter is due a cracking second half to this one, if we change now, we might get some bugger who is due half a season of bad luck, and then we are ****ed.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Hassenhuttl had Saints on 15 points and 18th in the table after 17 games last season.

Would you say we have been unlucky in even just a couple of games this season? I just want to point out, that if two of the draws had been wins, we would be 14th, above Newcastle. I feel we have been unlucky in more than just a couple though, and we should be sitting mid table, or higher.

I reckon luck averages out over a season though, and so Potter is due a cracking second half to this one, if we change now, we might get some bugger who is due half a season of bad luck, and then we are ****ed.

well put, gpott :)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Even with our very poor home record, you can keep your hands down. We are a small team, that has spent relatively little and is still in the Premier League. Partly because Of Potter.
Also, we are drawing a lot of games and narrowly losing others. Whilst that can be frustrating , it must mean that we are very competitive at this level. That says a lot. There is a strong argument that with one more signing - a higher class striker - we would have a squad capable of overachieving.
I’m not saying it’s a great watch at the moment, I’m not saying Potter has covered himself in glory. Some of his selections have been baffling.
But while we are still competitive, we are best off hanging in there. many a fan base has thought lurching from one manager to another is the answer. It probably won’t be in our case - only massive new investment, which almost certainly isn’t coming.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

10/10 for optimistic spin. we know thats not how luck works, you make your own luck. question is which were the two games we should have won, did we fail to because bad luck or something missing - team selection, tactics, concentration, winning attitude, things a coach is supposed to work on and fix.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

Hussenhuttl having 15 points after 17 games goes to show that we don't know what the answer is, just like I said. If we go on a winning streak or a run of very good form I am more than happy to support Potter. The trouble I personally have, is at the moment I can't see it happening.

I think we have been unlucky sure but as I said this form has been going on for 12 months. This is not a knee-jerk reaction, I had faith in him right up until the end of 2020 but sometimes you just have to look at the numbers and say is that good enough.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Even with our very poor home record, you can keep your hands down. We are a small team, that has spent relatively little and is still in the Premier League. Partly because Of Potter.
Also, we are drawing a lot of games and narrowly losing others. Whilst that can be frustrating , it must mean that we are very competitive at this level. That says a lot. There is a strong argument that with one more signing - a higher class striker - we would have a squad capable of overachieving.
I’m not saying it’s a great watch at the moment, I’m not saying Potter has covered himself in glory. Some of his selections have been baffling.
But while we are still competitive, we are best off hanging in there. many a fan base has thought lurching from one manager to another is the answer. It probably won’t be in our case - only massive new investment, which almost certainly isn’t coming.

I think its a myth to say we haven't spent a lot. We have a net spend of about £220min last 5 years. I seem to remember that puts us in the top half for transfer spend. We have a wage bill of over £100m that puts us above the bottom 3. Bloom has done his bit to help us stay in this league.

It ia good that we don't loose too many and I believe we are competitive. I think we have the squad capable of staying up, I just don't think we know how to win a game and that is what Potter needs to learn, if he manages that then I am happy with what he is doing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Please mods. Rename this thread title. It really makes us look pathetic as a fan base.

The last time I looked this was a discussion forum, not an extension of the official club site.

If you disagree with what is being said then come back at it in a reasonable and intelligent way, don't wave imaginary cards at the mods and try to dominate the agenda.

I don't agree with Dan on much and I don't agree with the exact way he's phrased the thread title but changing a thread title fundamentally changes his point and the forcefulness with which it is made. I have, however, made similar points about issues at Swansea as have plenty of others. It's that you need to defend on this thread. Swanny does a fairly good job of it in the main.

I write this in a personal capacity and not on behalf of all the mods by the way, but it might interest you to know I'm by no means the only moderator who has had enough of Potter and his lovely football and poor results.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The last time I looked this was a discussion forum, not an extension of the official club site.

If you disagree with what is being said then come back at it in a reasonable and intelligent way, don't wave imaginary cards at the mods and try to dominate the agenda.

I don't agree with Dan on much and I don't agree with the exact way he's phrased the thread title but changing a thread title fundamentally changes his point and the forcefulness with which it is made. I have, however, made similar points about issues at Swansea as have plenty of others. It's that you need to defend on this thread. Swanny does a fairly good job of it in the main.

I write this in a personal capacity and not on behalf of all the mods by the way, but it might interest you to know I'm by no means the only moderator who has had enough of Potter and his lovely football and poor results.

What a depressing reply.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Just think how many points as would be better off had we sacked Potter and replaced him with Big Sam, like many on here wanted.

The assumption by Potter fans that the only alternative to the current setup is Big Sam - or similar - is frankly pathetic.

A bit like criticising Tory policy and their supporters coming back with "Yeah, but what about Jeremy Corbyn!!!!!!1".

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I think its a myth to say we haven't spent a lot. We have a net spend of about £220min last 5 years. I seem to remember that puts us in the top half for transfer spend. We have a wage bill of over £100m that puts us above the bottom 3. Bloom has done his bit to help us stay in this league.

It ia good that we don't loose too many and I believe we are competitive. I think we have the squad capable of staying up, I just don't think we know how to win a game and that is what Potter needs to learn, if he manages that then I am happy with what he is doing.

Fourth bottom is about right for us, going on any criteria I’ve heard mentioned on NSC.
The reality is that for the next few years we will probably always look like we can’t win a game, in the prem. we simply won’t win many games because of the quality of players we have compared to the opposition.
Don’t get me wrong , I’m not a Potter devotee and I get what you’re saying, I just think there’s a strong argument that we are very close to overachieving, going on our competitiveness. Even if some games it feels like we are a million miles away.....
It’s also worth noting that our development squad will only bear more fruit from here on in. There’s now an established system of buying young players from abroad, sending them on loan and then getting them into the squad. It’s gone under the radar a little but it is impressive. And potter has been part of that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The assumption by Potter fans that the only alternative to the current setup is Big Sam - or similar - is frankly pathetic.

A bit like criticising Tory policy and their supporters coming back with "Yeah, but what about Jeremy Corbyn!!!!!!1".

I have yet to see a replacement manager suggested who would be able to step in and improve us whilst not needing to spend a fortune doing it. I guess it’s not your job to make suggestions though, would I be right?

Kinda weakens the argument for getting shot of him imo. It needs to be someone with experience at this level too, surely. Or do we just take another punt with half a season left? Not a single sensible and realistic suggestion made by the outters, that I am aware of, which tells it’s own story. Change for change’s sake.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

It is a Daily Mail headline though isn’t it? It’s utterly ridiculous given the actual content of the opening post.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It is a Daily Mail headline though isn’t it? It’s utterly ridiculous given the actual content of the opening post.

Yes, I said I don't like the headline but I do agree with the post that follows it. That does not mean it should be changed or edited. There is nothing wrong with it in that sense. Calling it "Daily Mail" is about right but it would also be good if people could challenge the actual valid points in the OP as well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
but it might interest you to know I'm by no means the only moderator who has had enough of Potter and his lovely football and poor results.

Why didn’t you say this before? Potter OUT for me now I know this :wink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What a depressing reply.

What would be depressing is finishing 17th or 16th in this league every single season. Putting up with the huge prices, stupid kickoff times and corporate shithouseary for seven ish wins a season for ever more, however nicely we play.

And before anyone pulls out the entitled card I'd far prefer kicking around some of the more interesting grounds in League One at 3pm on a Saturday to that.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I have yet to see a replacement manager suggested who would be able to step in and improve us whilst not needing to spend a fortune doing it. I guess it’s not your job to make suggestions though, would I be right?

Yes, you're right! It's really not the job of supporters to line-up replacement managers. Never has been.

Kinda weakens the argument for getting shot of him imo. It needs to be someone with experience at this level too, surely. Or do we just take another punt with half a season left? Not a single sensible and realistic suggestion made by the outters, that I am aware of, which tells it’s own story. Change for change’s sake.

Nope, change to avoid relegation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here