Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey - ha ha!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
All this bollocks about our past is irrelevant. We didn't get to two FA cup finals, play AC Milan in the UEFA cup and rub it in the noses of all other football fans did we? We didn't spend beyone our means to buy success we couldn't afford, did we?
Long suffering fans my arse. I hope they find out what it feels like to have no ground, to have to travel stupid distances for home games, and to consider yourself lucky to be able to pay £25 for the privilege of sitting in an athletics stadium with no roof and shit facilities in the clubs actual city.
Cunts.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Tooting - people knew about it being unsustainable. They kept pushing money they didn't have at it in the hope that it would convert to turning them into a top 5 team. Even Harry knew it was going wrong which is why he left - too many tax issues even for him. I knew/know people on the board and they were sweating about not turning the investment into achievement, but kept going anyway - all the time the people lending the money were saying "but you need this to turn the corner, you need this for the next big signing" - and they knew that ultimately the money would be theirs either as repaid debt or tax writeoff. HMRC are a different kettle of fish - even if you stiff your creditors, there are some people you need to keep onside! Pompey even changed their accountants to get different stories, but ultimately they were never making enough to keep going the way they were. I feel sorry for the charities that never got paid, the people who invested their own money in a club which basically stole their cash, and believed the big lies. I feel nothing for the fans who jumped on the bandwagon of the FA Cup, started telling everyone that they were the only team on the South Coast, ripped Southampton to pieces when it happened to them and now cry because they are getting it. Notice how they are not getting fans of other clubs running to them or expressing concern?

Result - Pompey end up playing Havant and Waterlooville and the fans that Pompey would have been acquiring come to us and our new stadium - welcome to solvent status lads, it's what you could have been if you hadn't bent over for every fake Sheikh who came calling.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
HENCE my comment.

You need to live in Hampshire to appreciate how funny this is.

Oh, I beg to differ, Hiney :lolol:

It looks bloody HILARIOUS from deepest mid Sussex, I can promise you.

Jul 28, 2010
Fareham, Hampshire
with a lot of my freinds being pompey 'supporters' and living in pompey i think it is absolutely hilarious as they still seem to believe that there team can win the championship next year and that there is a whole line of potenial buyers to buy the club.

who in their right mind would buy a football team in millions of debt, minimal amount of players and having to spend more for the stadiums car park!

Long may it continue!
:albion1:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Look, Hampshire, as I said to Edna, I don't dispute your analysis, and it's clear you know what you are talking about. At a big level, Pompey had it coming, and the financial mismanagement is on an unprecedented scale. But from a fan who has been to his club's supposed 'last game' for tax reasons, you're just going to have to forgive me if I don't share the general glee.

Not all Pompey fans were Cup final bandwagon-jumpers - and I don't see there's an awful lot they could have done about it, given that they wouldn't have known what was stacking up for them. Your point about Redknapp is well made. If it was dodgy even for him, the numbers weren't looking good.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
Didn't our loose purse strings during our rise to the top put the club in jeopardy and eventually paved the way for some unscrupulous businessmen to take control of the club?

Oh leave it out. Just because we suffered doesn't mean you should give a f*** about them when Portsmouth fans have been giving it the large for the last few years.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Look, Hampshire, as I said to Edna, I don't dispute your analysis, and it's clear you know what you are talking about. At a big level, Pompey had it coming, and the financial mismanagement is on an unprecedented scale. But from a fan who has been to his club's supposed 'last game' for tax reasons, you're just going to have to forgive me if I don't share the general glee.

Not all Pompey fans were Cup final bandwagon-jumpers - and I don't see there's an awful lot they could have done about it, given that they wouldn't have known what was stacking up for them. Your point about Redknapp is well made. If it was dodgy even for him, the numbers weren't looking good.

I actually appreciate where you are coming from. Man City fans are living the same dream to some extent. However, I have been married into a Pompey mad family for the last 11 years and spend loads of time in Southsea. The in laws are all decent long time fans but without sounding patronising you really need to have been around Portsmouth and all their fans like Hampshire, Southstand and Hiney. They really have been full of it and never questioned the fact that their success was bought with an outlay that was unsustainable. I even went on the Portsmouth tour and be told what a great night it was when they played AC Milan. I don't want them to go bust but have to admit to a warm and happy feeling everytime they fall further into the mire!
You know at the end of the day, Tony Bloom could have put his 100 million into simply buying that kind of success and we could now be in the premiership and gloating just like they have. Personally I'm happy with that money being invested in a way that guarantees our future!

D

Deleted member 2719

Oh, I beg to differ, Hiney :lolol:

It looks bloody HILARIOUS from deepest mid Sussex, I can promise you.

I beg to differ too, from West,West Sussex it is amazingly funny.:lol::lol::lol:

Strange when i talk to my Pompey STH Neighbour he never talks about football anymore.:amex:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
both pompey and to a lesser extent palace as a group of fans, have really showed themselves up as numptys over the last few years. especially pompey who even to this day don't seem to understand how their club was abused and manipulated (money-cough-laundering-cough-allegations) or even seem to care that much. special mention to palace for their comedy save our club campaign efforts earlier this year that also appeared to completely and utterly miss the point.

as much as i hate man u and their oily fans, and although their current campaign seems to involve no more than buying a scarf, at least they've got themselves properly organised plus the campaigning addressed the key issues around finance and ownership. it's 15 years too late of course but that's a different issue

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Didn't our loose purse strings during our rise to the top put the club in jeopardy and eventually paved the way for some unscrupulous businessmen to take control of the club?

Not so much loose purse strings but the two main investors happened to die, Wickenden and Bamber. When Bamber left the club and subsequently died he still had a lot of money tied up in the club. His wife hated football and so the club had to pay her off.

No different if something should happen to Mr Bloom. Would/will his investment stay in place or would his wife/family wish to cash it in. We could at a moments notice see our dream turn into a nightmare.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
When they reform will they groundshare with Havant & Waterlooville ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I would like to think that TB is shrewd enough to have covered that possibility, at least I hope that he has.

Maybe maybe not. Wickenden and Bamber were at the time reportedly the richest men involved in football in this country but looked what happened to the club after their demise.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
"'The state they're in" is the absolute LEAST they deserve. Really they should have been made to go bust, then re-form and start again like Aldershot (and others). Everything bad that happens to them over the next few months they thoroughly deserve.

They've got away with murder and they know it.

It'd be nice to see them properly punished yes, personally though I wouldn't wish a team to go bust, even Palace! If Brighton ended up with a dodgy board and we did the same thing I'd be surprised if you'd stick to this opinion... but then knowing you, you probably would... :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Maybe maybe not. Wickenden and Bamber were at the time reportedly the richest men involved in football in this country but looked what happened to the club after their demise.

It has often been reported that Bamber was full of ideas and pushing forward but Wickenden was the one who kept him on the straight and narrow and stopped him running away with his ambitions. Sadly the accident which took Wickenden also harmed BHA a lot.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The one-eyed nature of football fans never fails to amaze me. Consider the support we got (and seemed to expect) in some of our hard times from other supporters, and then re-read this thread.

So when it's Brighton, it's, err, well it's everyone else's fault. When it's Portsmouth, they had it coming. Incredible.
I've never known you to be so wrong about something. As has been pointed out the two situations are TOTALLY different - not least because we paid our bills when perhaps going down the Pompey route and paying 10p in the pound might have saved us from Archer.

But, ok, I'll feel sorry for their fans. All the fans that organised protests against the owners for spending too much, all the fans who refused to celebrate the FA Cup win and all the fans who boycotted the big Premiership and European games because they knew it was all funded by unsustainable debts have my sympathy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here