Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey - ha ha!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
God I can't stand them, I am completely loving all this going on. I can't believe people can defend them. Every single part of this mess is entirely their own doing, and please, spare me the sanctimonious "won't somebody think of the fans" bullshit. Do I feel sorry for their fans? No. Do I feel sorry for the fans of teams they beat in the FA Cup on the way to the final with a team they had no right to send out, or for the PL teams who were relegated because they didn't overspend, while Pompey carried on taking the piss? Yes.

I hope HMRC dig their heels in and block the CVA, thus ensuring Pompey get MORE points deducted. I hope they have to field a team consisting of slow old journeymen, utterly demotivated, couldn't-give-a-shit foreign World Cup players, and youth teamers. I hope they get relegated with the lowest points total ever recorded. And I hope that, for their final game, a BBC camera crew turns up to shadow John Portsmouth Football Club Westwood around Fratton Park, capturing every single one of his tears in ultra high definition as they roll down his face and he announces misguidedly what a tragedy it is for football that this should have happened :lolol:

Dry your eyes, and savour the fiasco as it unfolds :clap2:

PS: vindictive? Moi? You betcha :lolol:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
God I can't stand them, I am completely loving all this going on. I can't believe people can defend them. Every single part of this mess is entirely their own doing, and please, spare me the sanctimonious "won't somebody think of the fans" bullshit. Do I feel sorry for their fans? No. Do I feel sorry for the fans of teams they beat in the FA Cup on the way to the final with a team they had no right to send out, or for the PL teams who were relegated because they didn't overspend, while Pompey carried on taking the piss? Yes.

I hope HMRC dig their heels in and block the CVA, thus ensuring Pompey get MORE points deducted. I hope they have to field a team consisting of slow old journeymen, utterly demotivated, couldn't-give-a-shit foreign World Cup players, and youth teamers. I hope they get relegated with the lowest points total ever recorded. And I hope that, for their final game, a BBC camera crew turns up to shadow John Portsmouth Football Club Westwood around Fratton Park, capturing every single one of his tears in ultra high definition as they roll down his face and he announces misguidedly what a tragedy it is for football that this should have happened :lolol:

Dry your eyes, and savour the fiasco as it unfolds :clap2:

PS: vindictive? Moi? You betcha :lolol:

you have such a way with words :bowdown:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The one-eyed nature of football fans never fails to amaze me. Consider the support we got (and seemed to expect) in some of our hard times from other supporters, and then re-read this thread.

So when it's Brighton, it's, err, well it's everyone else's fault. When it's Portsmouth, they had it coming. Incredible.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The one-eyed nature of football fans never fails to amaze me. Consider the support we got (and seemed to expect) in some of our hard times from other supporters, and then re-read this thread.

So when it's Brighton, it's, err, well it's everyone else's fault. When it's Portsmouth, they had it coming. Incredible.

Totally different and I don't care if Pompey laughed at us back then anyway.

f*** em

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
To right its bloody funny and lets hope it gets worse for pompey:laugh:
A club that enjoyed lots of success and paid the price by racking up well over 100 million quid in debts.

Portsmouth shouldn't even have a club as far as im concerned,i bet those twat fans we're rubbing it in to many other clubs fans during the good times.:angry:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Nice, i just don't see it funny seeing Portsmouth in the state they are that's all.
"'The state they're in" is the absolute LEAST they deserve. Really they should have been made to go bust, then re-form and start again like Aldershot (and others). Everything bad that happens to them over the next few months they thoroughly deserve.

They've got away with murder and they know it.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
I never had a problem with pompy until i met one of thier fans in the midlands. Few years ago now, was on my way home from a match (away)and stopped off to grab some food, (Can't remember exactly where) Infront of me in the queue was a bloke with his missus, he turned around and said some thing along the line of "What the f*** you wearin?"
I calmly said "Brighton shirt, just on my way home from a match, why?"
he then stared at me for a few long seconds before stating. "Coz I'm Portsmuff and we hate you fuckin queer *****."
His missus started to tug on his arm as I replied, "Ok." Slightly suprised at this guys hostility to me.
He got served and left.
Then i got served and left.
Got just out the door and my friend reappeared and got all up in my face, guessing he'd sent his scanky whore to the car while he "dealt with he." (Obviously I didn't want any trouble, I just wanted to got home, this i tried to explain.) After verbally abusing me he then threw a punch which caught me on my left ear. (It's hard to block when your carrying a bag of food) So i instictively butted him full on in the face and left him screeming, bleeding and trying to hold onto a shop window.
Went to my car and made a sharp exit.
Got home to find out I had a cold jumbo sausage and chips, but i distinctively remember asking for a battered jumbo and chips. Bloody takeaway.

So. f*** PORTSMOUTH AND f*** THEIR FANS. WANKERS.

Love it ! :laugh:

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I hate them, which is quite difficult because two of my best friends are Fratton season ticket holders. I don't go on about it too much but I am quietly delighted whenever they lose. My mates claim they are looking forward to the Championship with the greater competitive element. With no goalie I would say that is probably quite a naive viewpoint.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We got stiffed by some asset-stripping businessman. Pompey have borrowed millions of pounds to sign players and pay them £80,000 per week. How is that similar? Enough clubs have been in administration in recent years to offer a warning to any club thinking of spending beyond their means. Portsmouth chose to ignore that in the pursuit of their ill-gotten gains. They gambled, and now they're having to pay for it.

Except really, they're not. All that's happened is that they've been relegated (which they almost certainly would have done last season anyway, even without a points deduction), and now they haven't got a very good team.

And that is supposed to be a punishment HOW, exactly? I fail to see why I should offer even the remotest trace of sympathy :angry:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I see this with two eyes myself.

Their fans saw what their board was doing and went along for the ride, conning so many others along the way.

We saw what our board was doing to our club and our club alone, and fought against it.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We got stiffed by some asset-stripping businessman. Pompey have borrowed millions of pounds to sign players and pay them £80,000 per week. How is that similar? Enough clubs have been in administration in recent years to offer a warning to any club thinking of spending beyond their means. Portsmouth chose to ignore that in the pursuit of their ill-gotten gains. They gambled, and now they're having to pay for it.

Except really, they're not. All that's happened is that they've been relegated (which they almost certainly would have done last season anyway, even without a points deduction), and now they haven't got a very good team.

And that is supposed to be a punishment HOW, exactly? I fail to see why I should offer even the remotest trace of sympathy :angry:

We're talking about clubs and fans on their knees. That's it. You're either sympathetic to fans, or you're not. You're not, I am. I actually agree with a lot of your analysis of what Pompey have done wrong, and the effects on others. But all that means jack shit if you're just a loyal Pompey fan waking up this morning, who has supported your team for 25 years, and has seen it virtually go out of business and now have 14 players and no goalkeeper.

What exactly should they have done five years ago? Written to whichever chairman it was and said 'Look, I love the PL, the nice wins over big teams and everything, but I'd like to go back to being a shite Championship team just in case we've overspent.' Would you have written a letter like that?

Pompey have done wrong, I think they probably should be starting this season in League One - but that's not the same as wanting them to go bust.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

There are several very big differences between us and Pompey, for a start we had our ground sold out from under us to pay our creditors in full rather than fobbing them off with a 20% pay off. That in itself is a very significant difference apart from anything else. We are not trying to screw the tax man either. I don't know about you but as a tax payer myself I have no sympathy for anybody who tries to duck out of paying their dues.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There are several very big differences between us and Pompey, for a start we had our ground sold out from under us to pay our creditors in full rather than fobbing them off with a 20% pay off. That in itself is a very significant difference apart from anything else. We are not trying to screw the tax man either. I don't know about you but as a tax payer myself I have no sympathy for anybody who tries to duck out of paying their dues.

I think on tax issues, you need to very sure about 'being without sin' when casting that stone. I was there at the Goldstone for some of those games, and the crowd figures were decidedly dodgy on many occasions.

And the point I am making is a more general (and I think simple) one about the effect on you as a fan when you're club is f**ked, however that happened.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We're talking about clubs and fans on their knees. That's it. You're either sympathetic to fans, or you're not. You're not, I am. I actually agree with a lot of your analysis of what Pompey have done wrong, and the effects on others. But all that means jack shit if you're just a loyal Pompey fan waking up this morning, who has supported your team for 25 years, and has seen it virtually go out of business and now have 14 players and no goalkeeper.

What exactly should they have done five years ago? Written to whichever chairman it was and said 'Look, I love the PL, the nice wins over big teams and everything, but I'd like to go back to being a shite Championship team just in case we've overspent.' Would you have written a letter like that?

Pompey have done wrong, I think they probably should be starting this season in League One - but that's not the same as wanting them to go bust.

Not that I'd want to give them to much credit, but Man U fans had concerns (and still have concerns) with the way their club is being run, and have done something (albeit in a feebly tokenistic manner) about it.

Portsmouth fans, on the other hand got dazzled by the empty promise of glory, went with it, and are now paying for it.

I'm not judging whether Portsmouth fans 'deserve' this, but our two cases do have clear differences.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that it is great as they have lived beyond their means for ages and got into the premiership by using other peoples money and running up debts. Whatever your views may be of Dk he would never have gone down that route. I just hope that HMRC win the day and they have to pay up or go bust like every other business in the land. Why should a football club be different to all other businesses.

I agree with TLO and his summing up of the situation.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Clearly their fans would never have tried to stop it during the good times, but then again nor should they expect sympathy from the other clubs they mugged now they've hit the skids.

I didn't actually say anything about them going bust, although if I'm being 100% honest, I probably wouldn't care that much. What I was thoroughly enjoying, however, was the prospect of them being thrashed every week and consequently relegated this season. I don't see what's wrong with that?

Every season I want Palace to go down, the buggers never do but it doesn't stop me hoping. Just because the motive for wanting Pompey to plummet in humiliating fashion down through the leagues is different, doesn't make it morally wrong in my book. I've ALWAYS wanted them to suffer on the pitch, almost as much as Palace. Nothing has changed other than the fact I now have more reasons to loathe them.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not that I'd want to give them to much credit, but Man U fans had concerns (and still have concerns) with the way their club is being run, and have done something (albeit in a feebly tokenistic manner) about it.

Portsmouth fans, on the other hand got dazzled by the empty promise of glory, went with it, and are now paying for it.

But it wasn't an empty promise of glory, was it? They won the FA Cup, and had a great run in the Premier League. And when does 'being dazzled' become just enjoying some good times? We're all being very clever with hindsight, but no one knew then what they know now. The sharper ones may have suspected it, but no one knew.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here