Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey - ha ha!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Slightly off topic Bozza, but how do you single out one tweet like that - can't work out how to do it...

I think he copied the 'nn minutes ago' link for the tweet.

EDIT: Bozza replied quicker than I could work it out by viewing the page source. Nice to know I was right though.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I saw -25 points in one report but I have no idea how these things are worked out.

Why did Luton start with a 30 pt deduction a couple of years ago? That seemed a random number

I think in Luton's case it was two separate deductions, one of ten points and one of twenty, for two distinct offences.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think in Luton's case it was two separate deductions, one of ten points and one of twenty, for two distinct offences.

Just checked- the 20 points was imposed because they hadn't agreed a CVA, while the initial 10 point loss came about because of some dodgy shenanigans involving payments to agents.

Bournemouth and Rotherham both received 17 point deductions the same season for failing to exit administration (Luton had already had points deducted in a previous season for being in admin, so maybe the 20 points was for being a repeat offender).

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is that violins I hear coming from the direction of the High Court?

Sheldon QC for Pompey: if they lose, club will be kicked out of FL for failing to give fixture assurances and "probably go into liquidation"

Yeah right, stop trying to big up the sob story, and face your responsibilities :rolleyes:

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Here's a couple of updates from today's proceedings....

Mr Sheldon painted a Doomsday scenario for the judge if he fails to back the club in his verdict.
He said if the Revenue won the club 'in all likelihood would go into liquidation'.
He said it would prevent Mr Chainrai becoming the new owner.
'There is no other purchaser. The only other way in which this club can move forward is through this proposed sale.
'Of course, there may be problems ahead, I do not doubt that.'
Mr Sheldon said HMRC wanted Pompey to be placed in liquidation and that the taxman claimed if this happened 'the demise of the club was not inevitable'.
But Mr Sheldon told the judge this was exactly what would happen.
He added: 'If the club is not sold or very nearly sold by the start of the season it will clearly be relegated out of the football league.
'This will happen because the administrators cannot give the assurances needed that the season's fixtures can be completed.
'It will then go out of the Football League and into some distant league, but the reality is that it will probably go into liquidation because the administrators will not be able to fund the continued business.'
He continued: 'The evidence for this is quite clear. Mr Andronikou is quite clear about what the consequences would be if the CVA fails.'

and.............

The case has been adjourned with Mr Justice Mann telling the court he would not deliver his judgment before 3pm tomorrow - possibly later.

He asked both sides that if they lost would they consider an appeal on Friday in the Court of Appeal. They both said they probably would.

Mr Justice Mann said his full judgement might not be available tomorrow, but he would give an 'executive summary' in court at some point tomorrow afternoon.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't help feeling Gordon's post above needs a little musical accompaniment.

[yt]C6ZDsUGiGqM[/yt]

There. Try reading it again now :laugh:

Mr Sheldon painted a Doomsday scenario for the judge if he fails to back the club in his verdict.
He said if the Revenue won the club 'in all likelihood would go into liquidation'.
'There is no other purchaser. The only other way in which this club can move forward is through this proposed sale.
Mr Sheldon said HMRC wanted Pompey to be placed in liquidation and that the taxman claimed if this happened 'the demise of the club was not inevitable'.
He added: 'If the club is not sold or very nearly sold by the start of the season it will clearly be relegated out of the football league.
'This will happen because the administrators cannot give the assurances needed that the season's fixtures can be completed.
'It will then go out of the Football League and into some distant league, but the reality is that it will probably go into liquidation because the administrators will not be able to fund the continued business.'
He continued: 'The evidence for this is quite clear. Mr Andronikou is quite clear about what the consequences would be if the CVA fails.'

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

When you put it like that, the enormity of the situation really does hit home.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
opera-singer.jpg

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Having just been through a lengthy 'disagreement' with the taxman myself (which I lost), I don't see why football clubs or businesses of any kind can wriggle out of their tax liabilities by going into administration or liquidation-only to re-appear a few days later under a different name and carrying on as if f*** all had happened. The taxman should apply the same pressures to football clubs as they do to individuals who can't afford tax avoidance lawyers.

I hope they get every last penny squeezed out of them.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
[yt]DrUB0g8Vjgg[/yt]

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
[yt]zEIzyhu5txE[/yt]

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
I can't help feeling Gordon's post above needs a little musical accompaniment.

[yt]C6ZDsUGiGqM[/yt]

There. Try reading it again now :laugh:

I laughed my head off Edna. Also showed it too my Pompey supporting missus who has just popped into the kitchen for the bread knife and wants to know if I could get your real name and address! punish:

:lolol:

Manny

Aug 1, 2010
Reigate, Surrey
I dont find this funny, i hate seeing teams in trouble...

Oh ok, yes i do, its f***ing brilliant, looking forward to seeing a couple of Pompey mates tomorrow night! years i've had to bite my tongue.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Pompey are the gift that keeps on giving right now.

Well, not to their creditors, but apart from that...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If Portsmouth are expelled from the Football League when HMRC win their case will they have to reform as a Sunday League outfit ? , as all the minor leagues will have their fixtures sorted out by now.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
"Pompey are the gift that keeps on giving right now."

so true. i always hated them - with a passion, even the city i hate.

they cheated for success; premiership, cup finals etc.....now they must pay the penalty.

cant wait to see them as they sink and we rise :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Looking bleak for them

Not so sure - as others have pointed out, very few football clubs really do go bust. It's only happened to Maidstone and Aldershot while I've been watching football and there have been plenty at death's door.

I bet Portsmouth wriggle out of this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here