Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey - ha ha!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
maybe it selective reporting, but it occurs to me that their defense isnt "these image rights are a legitimate payment outside of PAYE" but "please dont find against us or we'll go bust and thats not fair". put another way, they dont seem to be argueing the case on it merits but that Portsmouth FC shoud be a special case on the ground its a football club. if that is their case, i would have thought that would hurt them, i cant really see a judge going for that.

There's that and there's also the custom and practice argument - which is precisely what HMRC is arguing about.

I think it must be selective reporting, I can't believe that those are sum total of Portsmouth's arguments, as you say, that would make a very flimsy case.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Portsmouth don't seem to have much of a defence on the image rights. I think you can question the choice of test case by the HMRC, it's not exactly a brave decision to try this out on Portsmouth when there are other, bigger clubs with more money (and therefore presumably even more to spend on lawyers) who could just as easily have been selected. It's a bit like going up to a bloke lying in the gutter and kicking him in the bollocks, rather than take on his bigger mates. But even given that, not a good enough reason not to bring the case at all because they, quite possibly along with others, appear to have been cheating the public purse.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
When you look at the facts of the case Portsmouth should be f***ed today, but just can't see it happening somehow.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Portsmouth don't seem to have much of a defence on the image rights. I think you can question the choice of test case by the HMRC, it's not exactly a brave decision to try this out on Portsmouth when there are other, bigger clubs with more money (and therefore presumably even more to spend on lawyers) who could just as easily have been selected. It's a bit like going up to a bloke lying in the gutter and kicking him in the bollocks, rather than take on his bigger mates. But even given that, not a good enough reason not to bring the case at all because they, quite possibly along with others, appear to have been cheating the public purse.

But the bigger clubs are presumably paying their tax and therefore keeping them happy. Portsmouth are trying to get away with paying vast amounts of tax and so the HRMC are going after them for the full amount they feel they're legally due

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think Tooting Gull is probably right in that HMRC can see the possibility of winning against Portsmouth without them being able to afford to put up the same fight as Man Utd or Chelsea would but then the end result, if they win, has repercussions on all teams. One would have thought tht all of the teams would have subscribed to a fund to win the test case as many licensee groups did against the big brewers in the 90s. Isnt this called something like a class action or similar were everybody who could be affected pays towards the legal fees of the person/ club being used in the test case.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just a couple more minutes before we find out that Pompey have got away with it.

How exciting.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"still no sign of Judge in Court 52 - suspense building"

Are those involved briefed of the result before the official in-court announcement?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is there live footage of this anywhere please?

I'd like to see some live footage of Pompey fans crying.

But I think we're going to see a few celebrating in a minute. I'm pretty sure they're going to win though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here