Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey - ha ha!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Not so sure - as others have pointed out, very few football clubs really do go bust. It's only happened to Maidstone and Aldershot while I've been watching football and there have been plenty at death's door.

I bet Portsmouth wriggle out of this

Of course they will!! They've not even had to sell their ground yet, they're far from in serious trouble. Such a drama story. Ow, and I don't remember the last team in the brink of oblivion playing their preseasons in the USA. They hardly seem really hard up to me, just not as good at managing debt as most. But seriously Pompey are NOT about to go to the wall. Anyone thinking they will is plain stupid.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Pompey could be in the same situation as Hull , the Prem want to withold the first instalment of the parachute payments because other clubs are owed money.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They have already had them

Hull are due the first instalment on Friday , it was reported in yesterday's Yorkshire Post that the Premier League could withhold payment as money is owed to other clubs abroad and they may end up with nothing as these debts are going to be directly paid off.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So the Premier League has given Pompey £9M to pay its bill for the administrator's fees. :lol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not so sure - as others have pointed out, very few football clubs really do go bust. It's only happened to Maidstone and Aldershot while I've been watching football and there have been plenty at death's door.

I bet Portsmouth wriggle out of this

So do I, frustratingly :angry:

Cheats do prosper.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
5Live are puffing the Pompey Barrister's claim that " Pompey could be liquidated tommorow"...... It may be that the best thing that can happen to football is for this to happen, otherwise, the upward spiral of debt is only going to keep going.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
5Live are puffing the Pompey Barrister's claim that " Pompey could be liquidated tommorow"...... It may be that the best thing that can happen to football is for this to happen, otherwise, the upward spiral of debt is only going to keep going.

I agree, much as I don;t want to see Pompey go to the wall, if they do and I think there is every chance they will with HMRCs new tougher stance coming into play, then it may make other clubs sit up and take notice.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If Pompey go bust what happens in the league, does an extra team go up next year from league one or only 2 go down form the prem ? Pompey going bust could mean three up auto and a play off place.....................

Go bust pompey

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
If Pompey go bust what happens in the league, does an extra team go up next year from league one or only 2 go down form the prem ? Pompey going bust could mean three up auto and a play off place.....................

Go bust pompey

Either an extra one up from League 1, or one less relegated from the Championship

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Either an extra one up from League 1, or one less relegated from the Championship

Only two down from the Championship I'd assume. Then reshuffle the other leagues accordingly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the most obvious and fairest (in that it has least impact on other professional clubs) is that an extra club is invited to join from the Blue Square and and extra club promoted from each tier above.

its not going to get there though. they will be brought up once the price/debt is low enough to attract someone. probably with -30 pts or whatever, but they are still solvent enough to put out a team of kids and fulfill a season of fixtures.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I do have a slight sympathy for their fans, but for the good of football Portsmouth have to go, don't they?

The fans will be OK as AFC Portsmouth will be along in any case if this happens.

As for the football creditors getting preference that has to stop. If the rule wasn't there, then selling clubs would just have to get all their money up front for transfers, or buy an insurance against the fee not being paid in full.

The argument that there would be a domino effect in other clubs going bust is no more than spin in my eyes.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
I do have a slight sympathy for their fans, but for the good of football Portsmouth have to go, don't they?QUOTE]

I do not have any sympathy for them Sparkie.

They enjoyed 2 FA Cup finals, and a stint in Europe, playing the likes of AC Milan. All funded by players they could not afford to buy. It's the small businesses reliant on Pompey,and the employees who have already lost there jobs, that I feel sorry for.

The fans will always have a team to follow, albeit, in a lower division

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
I couldn't believe that statement from their barrister. Basically saying that if the judge finds in favour of HMRC that will be the end of Portsmouth FC.
So how is that different from basing a murder defence on the basis that if the accused is found guilty he'll go to jail?

Really hope justice prevails and they don't exit adminstration , suffer a 20 point penalty and are relegated by March playing in front of 5000. I detest them.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Personally I get bored of the sound of 'Wolf' being cried. Pompey won't go bust.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
maybe it selective reporting, but it occurs to me that their defense isnt "these image rights are a legitimate payment outside of PAYE" but "please dont find against us or we'll go bust and thats not fair". put another way, they dont seem to be argueing the case on it merits but that Portsmouth FC shoud be a special case on the ground its a football club. if that is their case, i would have thought that would hurt them, i cant really see a judge going for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here