Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police 'find blood on walls of Madeleine abduction flat'

I thought they were in the next town weren't they ?

No - they were in a restaurant in the same complex. It was a short walk back to the apartment, as I remember the layout - across a lawned area. It wwould be like eating in the garden (although don't go down that path again). The children were asleep. They were on holiday. They had paid top dollar going to Mark Warner.

I have been to that resort - in the next very similar complex. I could imagine myself making that judgement - as would many others on here.

When this original case came up - someone on here posted they would leave their children asleep in the tent whilst camping and go for a walk around the site. These things happen. You make a judgement whether your children are safe.

There were in a noisy bar area, there was a giant hedge fence, so they couln't see or here anything from their apartment, but the kids should not have been left alone!

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I'll go with pretty much everything tedebear has said - every family makes different decisions. You make these decisions from the basis of knowing your own children and the precise circumstances and location you are in.

When my sons were the age of the McCann children we mainly went on narrow boat holidays and you don't leave small children alone on a boat lest they get out of bed, wander off to find you and promptly fall into the canal and drown. But certainly, if we were able to moor the boat directly outside a pub, we'd take turns going into the bar while the one minding the children would usually sit on deck drinking a carry out.

But on the first boating holiday we took after having children, my oldest son was only 6 months old and safely sleeping in a cot he couldn't escape from. So I do remember us all sitting in a pub garden having dinner in full view of the boat while the baby slept peacefully on board. We didn't think we were being reckless or neglectful given those particular circumstances. But a year later, with another baby and a very active toddler, things were different.

I've no doubt that the McCanns must have weighed up the odds and come to the conclusion that their children were safe in that particular resort while they went to dinner at the restaurant they chose. That the consequences of the McCann's decision on that night were disastrous still doesn't make them wilfully neglectful parents.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'll go with pretty much everything tedebear has said - every family makes different decisions. You make these decisions from the basis of knowing your own children and the precise circumstances and location you are in.

When my sons were the age of the McCann children we mainly went on narrow boat holidays and you don't leave small children alone on a boat lest they get out of bed, wander off to find you and promptly fall into the canal and drown. But certainly, if we were able to moor the boat directly outside a pub, we'd take turns going into the bar while the one minding the children would usually sit on deck drinking a carry out.

But on the first boating holiday we took after having children, my oldest son was only 6 months old and safely sleeping in a cot he couldn't escape from. So I do remember us all sitting in a pub garden having dinner in full view of the boat while the baby slept peacefully on board. We didn't think we were being reckless or neglectful given those particular circumstances. But a year later, with another baby and a very active toddler, things were different.

I've no doubt that the McCanns must have weighed up the odds and come to the conclusion that their children were safe in that particular resort while they went to dinner at the restaurant they chose. That the consequences of the McCann's decision on that night were disastrous still doesn't make them wilfully neglectful parents.

don't thinks is a case of being willful,more a case of using your common sense,and I think it defies logic that any parents would leave children of that age alone out of earshot,and out of sight and with the french doors open (there was a case somewhere here in the UK when a girl was snatched and killed from her own garden here she was camping out in a tent with older children).
Your children are your heritage and are probably the most precious things you are lightly to have in your care,personally I have never thought it was OK to leave your children anywhere alone or out of your sight (there was a time while walking down the Lewes rd when a child was dawdling and walked into the road only for me to grab him from being run over by a car,all this while mum was gossiping some 50 yards further on).
Having said all this they are paying dearly for their part in the disappearance of their daughter and will be paying even if she is found alive(and every bone in my body hopes she is) they are paying and really that should be an end to the carping especially by the Portugese press who might like to look at the tardiness of their police in getting on with looking for her a bit swifter than they did,we might think our police are a bit slow but I am sure they would have more leads than their counterparts in Portugal.
I HAVE NEVER BEEN ONE FOR PRAYING ........but I have been for this little mite since her disappearance. :down:

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
th_60830_tut_122_575lo.jpg

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
This was on the Msn news feed which gives a different slant on things again.

Relations between Portuguese police and Madeleine McCann's parents are under strain after detectives revealed in an interview that she might have been killed, without telling her family first.

Exactly 100 days after she disappeared from the Algarve resort of Praia da Luz, investigators acknowledged for the first time that she could be dead.

As Kate and Gerry McCann clung to the hope their daughter will be found alive, Chief Inspector Olegario Sousa said new evidence suggesting she was killed was being investigated with "intensity".

He told the BBC: "In these past few days, there have been some developments, and some clues have been found, that could point in a possible death of the little child. But till the moment, and we are waiting for the lab results of the evidence that has been collected, all the lines are open."

This appears to be a reference to sniffer dogs' discovery of blood specks on a wall in the McCanns' holiday flat. The samples have been sent to Britain for DNA tests, which are expected to be returned early this week.

A McCann family friend said it was "extraordinary" the police had "not had the decency" to tell the couple they now believed Madeleine could be dead before stating it in an on-the-record interview.

Mr Sousa also said the McCanns and the seven friends with them on holiday when Madeleine disappeared on May 3 were not considered suspects - contrary to unconfirmed reports in Portuguese papers last week suggesting they were now under suspicion.

The senior officer's comments appear to contradict the message that the McCanns, from Rothley, Leicestershire, have been receiving from the investigators. On Tuesday Mrs McCann said police had told her only the previous week that they were "looking for a living child".

The rift with the police added to the couple's pain as they marked the grim 100-day milestone. Mr and Mrs McCann sought strength in prayer at the end of one of the worst weeks they have experienced since four-year-old Madeleine went missing.

In a video specially recorded for a new section on the YouTube website to help find missing children, the McCanns appealed for authorities to tighten up international laws on child abduction and abuse.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
and to think you got all moral when someone posted some nasty stuff on Starry's website.

I didn't get 'all moral' at all. But I did say that if any NSCer had used Starry's views on this incident as a springboard to post something sickening on the memorial site to a little girl who had tragically lost her life, then I would assist in ensuring they were not welcome on NSC.

You are one sick hypocritical mod.

Really?

If you took more than a minute or two to read my thoughts on the McCann case, including the reporting in some media quarters, it would be more than obvious why I posted that picture having stumbled across it on another forum this afternoon. And even if the picture represented any view I hold, which it doesn't(*), there is the world of difference between this place than Starry's memorial site.

(* although it does seem to represent the thoughts of many an NSCer, as this thread illustrates)

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
This is indeed a sorry story,and I guess very many people think the little girl will never be found alive,or simply never found.

What irks me is the way the parents are turning the blame on to the police,the press,and anyone else they can think of,how they are hopping around the world trying to chase down leads,meet "spiritual" leaders and anybody else who will entertain them in the forlorn hope that the blame will be diverted from themselves.

It won't.

Any parent who leaves their tiny children unsupervised - not supervised at a distance whilst they go out for tucker and a grog - should be prosecuted for neglect.

Did they kill the little girl? Almost certainly not.Are they responsible for her loss.

Yes,they are.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What gets me is all this media frenzy about the apparent incompetence of the Portuguese police.

Are they incompetent? Or are they just following the laws of their land, ie not disclosing information willy nilly simply to keep the UK press happy, thus resulting in voracious British newspapers making their own vindictive stories up because they're getting nothing from the local police?

How come when it comes to every day stuff, many people tear into the police in this country, yet suddenly, compared to the foreign johnnies, we're the best force in the world...?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The power of the press? How often do we see articles ripping into the police force compared with articles congratulating the police on a job well done. Bad news is always good news for the papers, particularly the tabloids.

Police will always be labelled incompetent if a result is not secured, as I am sure you are well aware. The British press do not tend to deal with silence very well, so I imagine they are presuming that mistakes have been made or they simply wish to sell more papers. England vs Johnny Foreigner will always sell more papers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What gets me is all this media frenzy about the apparent incompetence of the Portuguese police.

Are they incompetent? Or are they just following the laws of their land, ie not disclosing information willy nilly simply to keep the UK press happy, thus resulting in voracious British newspapers making their own vindictive stories up because they're getting nothing from the local police?

How come when it comes to every day stuff, many people tear into the police in this country, yet suddenly, compared to the foreign johnnies, we're the best force in the world...?

I agree wholeheartedly with that. There is a huge amount relating to this incident that just has not been reported leading to widespread guesswork and consipracy theory generation. Take this, for example, that was reported today. It's the first time I've read it...

Madeleine's favourite toy, her pink 'Cuddle Cat, was taken from her arms and placed beyond her reach by her kidnapper, according to new reports.

This important evidence could point to the fact that Madeleine was actually taken alive.

According to a report in the Sunday Mirror, Kate McCann knew instantly that Madeleine had been abducted when she saw that the toy had been moved from her sleeping daughter's arms and placed on a ledge way beyond the four-year-old's reach.

The paper quotes a police source as saying: "When Kate tucked Madeleine up in bed earlier in the evening she had the toy tightly in her arms as she did every night.

"So Kate was terrified when she spotted it had been left in a place too high for her to reach.

"Kate also noticed the window was wide open and the shutters jammed up.

"It was because of these things that she had no doubt Madeleine had been kidnapped and she ran out to scream for help."

There was no sign of DNA or fingerprints left on the toy.

That said, I assume I'm not the only one who finds it strange that possible blood traces are found, and sent for examination, over 3 months after the disappearance?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
That said, I assume I'm not the only one who finds it strange that possible blood traces are found, and sent for examination, over 3 months after the disappearance?

Makes you wonder about how small the traces are.

The business with the cuddly toy being put on the top shelf shows Madeleine was alive when she was taken.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Makes you wonder about how small the traces are.

The business with the cuddly toy being put on the top shelf shows Madeleine was alive when she was taken.

Does it? Surely if this was her favourite teddy, she would want to take it with her and would be kicking and screaming to have it back. I can't imagine the 'kidnapper' would have a chance to place it calmly on the shelf if (s)he was intending to take the kid as quickly as possible? If you want to ensure that you can placate a child, then a teddy bear is a very good option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here