Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police 'find blood on walls of Madeleine abduction flat'

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well it stand to reason they must be capable of anything if they left three young children asleep in an apartment in walking distance from the restaurant when on holiday. They shoud be strung up for that alone.

Irony and sarcasm not your strong points are they ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I regularly went to a hotel called the Bedruthan Steps in Cornwall when my kids were very young. One of the attractions of the hotel was that it had a kiddies dining time of 5.30pm, and then a play time until 7.30. After that you could put your tired kids to bed, and there was a listening service provided by the hotel.

The dinner for parents was from 8.30 onwards. This hotel has won many awards for its family friendly features, and is full of white middle class families, who want to spend the day with their kids, but also spend some time together.

Would it have been easy for an interloper to sneak into a room and abduct my kids, certainly. It could have happened to mine as well as thousands of others. Does that make me and many thousands of others a bad parent? On the strength of some of the comments here it would appear to be 50/50.

Along with many others, I think threre are some weird elements to the McCann case, but for so many to sit in judgement at the death/abduction of a child and and prim and proper over it, all I say is, let (s)he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I regularly went to a hotel called the Bedruthan Steps in Cornwall when my kids were very young. One of the attractions of the hotel was that it had a kiddies dining time of 5.30pm, and then a play time until 7.30. After that you could put your tired kids to bed, and there was a listening service provided by the hotel.

The dinner for parents was from 8.30 onwards. This hotel has won many awards for its family friendly features, and is full of white middle class families, who want to spend the day with their kids, but also spend some time together.

Would it have been easy for an interloper to sneak into a room and abduct my kids, certainly. It could have happened to mine as well as thousands of others. Does that make me and many thousands of others a bad parent? On the strength of some of the comments here it would appear to be 50/50.

Along with many others, I think threre are some weird elements to the McCann case, but for so many to sit in judgement at the death/abduction of a child and and prim and proper over it, all I say is, let (s)he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Attachments

• stone.jpg
    stone.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 24

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But, El Presidente, in your example you say a service listening/monitoring service was provided for. And presumably the Hotel had reasonable security. Maybe still a risk, and some wouldnt like it but its not quite the same thing as this case.

At the end of the day the issue is this: Would you leave the kids at home and go to the pub or resturant down the street? If you knew of a neighbour that did so, would you report it or be surprised if social services were round there?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But, El Presidente, in your example you say a service listening/monitoring service was provided for. And presumably the Hotel had reasonable security. Maybe still a risk, and some wouldnt like it but its not quite the same thing as this case.

At the end of the day the issue is this: Would you leave the kids at home and go to the pub or resturant down the street? If you knew of a neighbour that did so, would you report it or be surprised if social services were round there?

If the kids were small I would report them. As for the risk in the hotel, is a small risk too big, even with sophisticated sprinklers, decent locks on doors etc, because if the worst happens, it happens.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I thought they were in the next town weren't they ?

No - they were in a restaurant in the same complex. It was a short walk back to the apartment, as I remember the layout - across a lawned area. It wwould be like eating in the garden (although don't go down that path again). The children were asleep. They were on holiday. They had paid top dollar going to Mark Warner.

I have been to that resort - in the next very similar complex. I could imagine myself making that judgement - as would many others on here.

When this original case came up - someone on here posted they would leave their children asleep in the tent whilst camping and go for a walk around the site. These things happen. You make a judgement whether your children are safe.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If the kids were small I would report them. As for the risk in the hotel, is a small risk too big, even with sophisticated sprinklers, decent locks on doors etc, because if the worst happens, it happens.

El Pres is right here. Why are you all still arguing. They LEFT THEIR KIDS, their 3year old got taken.

Bad judgement call, bad parenting, call it what you like but they f***ed up.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Is what they did against the law over here?

No. It was perfectly acceptable practise in holiday camps that children would be left in the chalets asleep whilst parents went to the dining area or to a show. Chalet maids would patrol every 30 mins or so and a sign would go up 'Baby crying in chalet 338' etc etc.
It was part of the service, and yes, I used it when mine were little at Pontins in Blackpool.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
No. It was perfectly acceptable practise in holiday camps that children would be left in the chalets asleep whilst parents went to the dining area or to a show. Chalet maids would patrol every 30 mins or so and a sign would go up 'Baby crying in chalet 338' etc etc.
It was part of the service, and yes, I used it when mine were little at Pontins in Blackpool.

BUT

The McCanns LEFT THE PATIO DOORS OPEN, surely that is the daftest parenting decision ever?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Such a sad sad situation. However what I find even sadder is that most people apply their own set of guidelines/rules/practises to other peoples attempts to raise their children. Everyone who has children has an opinion or suggestion for any issue that arises in relation to raising our little people. Everyone also thinks that their view is correct and right. And you know what - it is! It is correct and right for your OWN family. I have no right to judge another couple in what they chose to do based on my own family rules, they made the decision for themselves, and the good of their own family. I can feel utter utter sadness that their choice has turned out to have had disastrous consequences, but I cannot and will not label them as "bad parents" or "negligent people". Without knowing them that is really really being pious.

I hope she's alive, and I hope she'll come home, but as someone mentioned to me the other day I think she's been stolen to order by a wealthy childless couple somewhere in the world.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
oh and I sincerely hope whoever defaced Starrys wonderful website is feeling like the right disrespectful and low life scum that they are. I actually felt sick to my stomach when I saw her post (quoted by someone else)....

I will then, we have never ever left in a room or flat our children alone, whilst we been on holiday, one of us is always with them, we been to weddings etc, when its their bedtime, one of us is with them.

Whilst at home, when they are a sleep, we have monitors and one of us is always in the house.

Its basic common sense and care. I cannot fathom what the McCanns did its alien to me, its abhorent to me, its neglect and I hope they get Madeline back and I hope our social services and Police get them for gross neglect.

These kids were 3 and under for **** sake. Babies.

LC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here