Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players you had forgotten about...

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
A few others spring to mind although I may have some christian names incorrect:

Bill Cassidy
Wally Gould
Bill Curry
Adrian Thorne (scored in my first Albion game)
Mike Tiddy
John Collins
Mike Laverick

Remember back in the 60's, the ref got clobbered by the ball and was poleaxed.Play carried on so Bill Cassidy bent down and grabbed the whistle which was around the refs neck on a cord, to try and stop play. He yanked it so hard that he nearly broke the refs neck, so funny, he was a bit of a clown.
I remember Wally Gould scoring the equaliser against Chelsea in 1965 with over 30,000 at the Goldstone,1-1 and got done 4-0 at Stamford Bridge in the replay.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Youve missed out little Frankie Howard who was too fast for himself sometimes. Also when you see modern day players taking a long throw and everybody marvels the you remember that Jimmy Langley used to bend his bandy legs and hurl the ball into the box.

Yes how could I have forgotten Frankie.
I can still see him now pushing the ball round one side of a player and then running like hell round the other.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Ian "SPIDER" Mellor, Peter Wards strike partner.
Never forget the 7 they scored in the 2nd half on a wet and windy night in March 1977, against Wasall,went straight out to the match after work, got soaked, 0-0 at half time, then against the wind, put 7 into the North stand end.
Got home at 11-30 happy and half cut and Dad said Mum had passed away.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Ian "SPIDER" Mellor, Peter Wards strike partner.
Never forget the 7 they scored in the 2nd half on a wet and windy night in March 1977, against Wasall,went straight out to the match after work, got soaked, 0-0 at half time, then against the wind, put 7 into the North stand end.
Got home at 11-30 happy and half cut and Dad said Mum had passed away.

What an awful end to a great day for you. seems churlish to point out that those goals were into the south goal.

As to an earlier question about the young 'brothers', Willy, Andy & Eric, they did play together in one match, a certain thrashing at Pompey.

And to throw a few players in from my early years, brian tawse, Wilf tranter, george dalton, Willie bell & mike Everett.

Oh, nad how about the Napier boys?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
My 1st game was 70/71 home to Bradford. The sub that day was Alan Duffy. Now, if a player of his size turned out today he would get dogs abuse. Good player though!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can't remember any of the players I had forgotten about.............................But how about our two record £25,000 signings in the Pat Saward era? Ken Beamish (who was pretty good), and.........

...Bertie Lutton!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Charlie Nicholas ... a striker who had considerable trouble finding the goal if I remember correctly ... now who does that remind me of??

Charlie Baker ... first choice goalie for one and a half seasons ... lived in Turners Hill.

My 1st game was 70/71 home to Bradford. The sub that day was Alan Duffy. Now, if a player of his size turned out today he would get dogs abuse. Good player though!

I think Duffy was a drinking pal of Alex Dawson's, always looked like he was carrying too much weight - a bit like McLeod in the current squad.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

The sub against Bradford in 70/71 was Alex Dawson - and he didn't come on. (Duffy was sub for the following home against Bristol Rovers).

Are you thinking about the previous season? He made his debut against Bradford City and there were some rumblings about his size when people saw him waddle on the pitch - but he scored a cracking goal,straight into the top corner from outside the box and the grumbling soon stopped.

Re the Young brothers. They did play together but not in the 5-1 thrashing by Pompey - only Willie played in that. But they did all play against Man City, Derby Co and Leeds (two were won and one drawn, so they had a good record).

I think this thread has got a bit diverted from its original intention. I'd have scarcely called Mellor and the Napiers "forgotten players".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here