Players you had forgotten about...

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
and ooo arrr Derek McGrath

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Now there's a list from my youth.
I'd agree that Dave Armstrong was our fastest winger but from memory he rarely had the ball under any sort of control; normally used to kick it beyond the full back, then out sprint him and end up crossing into the crowd. Do remember him scoring a corker of a goal at the Goldstone from about 25 yds or so.
John Templeman - Yapton's finest.
And Alex Dawson or course - ferocious is probably downplaying his general approach, particularly towards goalkeepers. I think Gary Sprake describes in his autobiography than playing opposite Dawson was his most frightening experience in football.

A few others spring to mind although I may have some christian names incorrect:

Bill Cassidy
Wally Gould
Bill Curry
Adrian Thorne (scored in my first Albion game)
Mike Tiddy
John Collins
Mike Laverick

I recall a Dawson goal at North stand end. A corner to the near post saw Alex put ball, keeper and at least one defender in the net. very true about armstrong, had no end product really. Wally gould was a class act, a goalie i liked was powneys "understudy"! Tony burns i believe

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
How can we post people that we've forgotten about?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
That team could never have been accused of being fairies and lacking steel.

It had it fair share of skill players aswell, like Dennis Foreman, Dennis Gordon, Albert Munday, Steve Burtenshaw and Jimmy Langley.

The only player that comes to mind that lacked steel in that team for me was Don Bates.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It had it fair share of skill players aswell, like Dennis Foreman, Dennis Gordon, Albert Munday, Steve Burtenshaw and Jimmy Langley.

The only player that comes to mind that lacked steel in that team for me was Don Bates.

Youve missed out little Frankie Howard who was too fast for himself sometimes. Also when you see modern day players taking a long throw and everybody marvels the you remember that Jimmy Langley used to bend his bandy legs and hurl the ball into the box.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Have we had Paul McCarthy yet?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
what happened to them two?

Frutos last heard of playing in the Belgian second division for Tournai.

Somebody else mentioned David Martot - he's the regular right-back for Vannes in the French second division even playing in the League Cup final last year against Bordeaux.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Gary Bull, crapper cousin of Steve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here