alan biley
peter grummitt
graham winstanley
ray clarke
peter suddaby

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dave Hollins goalkeeper brother of the more famous John, uncle of Chris of Strictly Come Dancing, I think they played against each other John for England and Dave for Wales and were both made captain for the day.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Junior McDougald!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Had you all really forgotten about these players, you must have mass dementia? There are some totally unforgettable players listed.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
...........................peter grummitt.............

...ken Tiler....andy rollings...graham cross....chris catlin.....

....tony towner.....brian horton.....steve piper........peter o'sullivan

.................peter ward....................ian mellor..............
what a team that was.

and whatever happened to;
paul mcdonald, ross johnson, phil andrews, john humphreys, derek allan, jason peake, members of the last ever squad at the goldstone. that was one one crap team!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hey BG, I thought Bert McGonigle was a pretty shite goalkeeper and the lad who shackled Johny Haynes that day was surely John Templeman, on his debut.

You may be right about BM being a goalkeepr but it definitely wasnt John Templeman, at least I am fairly certain, it was wing half we signed from Workington or some other small northern club.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hey BG, I thought Bert McGonigle was a pretty shite goalkeeper and the lad who shackled Johny Haynes that day was surely John Templeman, on his debut.

My trusty book reveals that we only once played Fulham on Boxing Day during the Haynes period and we lost that 1-3 - there was no McGonigle playing,

Are you thinking of John Templeman playing against Rodney Marsh in 1966/67? That was 2-2 on Boxing Day.

EDIT: Just checked again and the Boxing Day defeat was away. We then played Fulham the next day and whacked them 3-0 - still no McGonigle though. It was played in front of the Goldstone's record attendance - I know my dad went, but I was two years old, bit young for that.

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
My trusty book reveals that we only once played Fulham on Boxing Day during the Haynes period and we lost that 1-3 - there was no McGonigle playing,

Are you thinking of John Templeman playing against Rodney Marsh in 1966/67? That was 2-2 on Boxing Day.

EDIT: Just checked again and the Boxing Day defeat was away. We then played Fulham the next day and whacked them 3-0 - still no McGonigle though. It was played in front of the Goldstone's record attendance - I know my dad went, but I was two years old, bit young for that.

Bert McGonigal Albions history was as follows:

McGONIGAL Bert Goalkeeper 62-66 Signed from Glentoran (N. Ireland) Transferred to Linfield (N. Ireland) APP 57

I think you are correct, that I am getting confused with the game on Boxing Day when Templeman snuffed out Rodney Marsh.

In that case the wing half that BG refers to signing from Workington was the great Jack Bertolini.

;

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That was the game on 27th December 1958, our official record attendance can you list the team as I would recognise the name when I see it. They lined up in numerical order in those days and he would have been either no 4 or possibly no 8 but I think it was no 4.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Michael Mahoney-Johnson.

A legendary 45 minutes in what I believe was the worst game of professional football ever played, away to Doncaster at Priestfield, bottom vs second-bottom in front of around 800 fans.

Subbed off at half time and never played another professional game. Last seen at Bishop's Stortford reserves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here