Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players you had forgotten about...

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Michael Mahoney-Johnson.

A legendary 45 minutes in what I believe was the worst game of professional football ever played, away to Doncaster at Priestfield, bottom vs second-bottom in front of around 800 fans.

Subbed off at half time and never played another professional game. Last seen at Bishop's Stortford reserves.

That was the other Fans Utd day. A Love in or something. There was more than 800 there, as the Argus arranged special buses to take fans to the ground. It was truly an appalling game of football though.

I think Doncaster had signed an old ex Spurs goalie (cant remember his name) a few days before. easiest game he played. I'm sure the only shot we took hit the corner flag.

Without a doubt the worst Albion game ever!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Problem solved by Foster Headband it was Jack Bertolini. Thank you I can have my afternoon siesta in peace now.:lol:

The team in full anyway:

Gill; Bisset; Little; Bertolini; Jennings; G. Wilson; Tiddy; Sexton; Thorne; Dixon; Jones.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Problem solved by Foster Headband it was Jack Bertolini. Thank you I can have my afternoon siesta in peace now.:lol:

Jack Bertolini ... now there was a good half-back. Part of the half-back line-up of:
Right Half: Jack Bertolini
Centre Half: Roy Jennings
Left Half: Steve Burtenshaw

J-Scott

Mar 9, 2009
Trevor Benjamin and Chris McPhee.. certainly my dream team forward partnership.

Also Junior Lewis

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Kevin Bremner (Sp) and Doug Rougvie I have no idea why those two came into my head but there you g

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Freddie Jones ex Arsenal I think that he was possibly faster than Frankie Howard, who he replaced on the left wing.

What a really tricky little player he was. He made full international for Wales after signing for us. He came in a double signing with Ronnie Clayton both from Arsenal. Clayton was also a very skillful inside forward.

Last edited:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Kevin Bremner (Sp) and Doug Rougvie I have no idea why those two came into my head but there you g

Kevin Bremner scored 2, Garry Nelson got the other in a 3-0 win vs Blackburn in my first ever game at the Goldstone in '89 on a primary school trip!

I, for one, won't be forgetting Bremner in a hurry! :clap2:

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
Dan Marney. We all voted for him to be young player of the month when we were struggling in the Championship and I got to award it to him on the pitch before the Sheff Utd (Prosser) game.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Gavin Geddes seems to have become a prolific golascorer in the lower divisions although he sees to have missed a few sitters for Horsham YMCA this season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Pom Pom Whiting, a keeper who went off to war in 1914, never to return.

Could allegedly kick the ball clean over the north stand roof & into the Old Shoreham Road from the goal mouth at the south end of the Goldstone.

No one alive to confirm it alas

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Gavin Geddes seems to have become a prolific golascorer in the lower divisions although he sees to have missed a few sitters for Horsham YMCA this season.

This is one I remember well. Came on as a left winger, performed this amazing turn and left the full back on his backside. Just to prove it was no fluke he repeated the trick... Three weeks later every fullback knew to just stand there and waited for the Geddes turn and his fledgeling league career was in decline. Seems to have played and scored for every one of the top local sides, so clearly he had more than the one trick in his armoury.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here