Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Contracts Announced At Last

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Jimmy Saville said:
I don't accept that at all. We had a limited amount of cash and we squandered it on an unproven Argentinian who could not speak the language, had never lived here (so chances were he would have trouble adapting) and had played a very unimpressive 45 minutes against Lewes. His goalscoring record overseas was shit.

It's no good whinging about a lack of funds when you piss what you have up the wall. Players like Marlon King were on the market at the start of last season (he went to Watford for big bucks when he had scored goals there on loan).

We couldn't afford to gamble on El Turi, the same happened with Molango. It really is piss poor and MM is fully accountable.

£200k for a Championship Striker is dirt cheap ! there is no way we could have afforded a player of Marlon King's ability.

I agree MM is fully accountable, but every Manager makes mistakes like that.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
so do I take it the two frenchmen are still here?

blimey

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Am I the only person who thinks Carepenter is a good player? I think he struggled after his injury, but surely league 1 will not be a too taller order for Chippy?

Nicolas is a shame, but I guess he was after more money than we could offer, he seemed he'd made his mind up the end of last season.

Oatway & Hart had to stay in my eyes and Butters has been consistent at the back.

Mayo is a bit of a worry at times but we need cover at left back and again league 1 has been done before.

Mcphee is poo and McGammon is a donkey.

So all in all I'd say thats about right.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Sid James said:
So experience doesn't matter in midfield but we need some experienced defenders ?

My point was our defence is even younger and inexperienced than our midfield. Also defence is more keyed into analysing play because you are reacting to the other teams play more than anywhere else on the pitch so an experienced head is more important than say midfield where you are less likely to be pulled out of position because you are not the last men. Also a defender can communicate with his defence and the midfield throughout the most of the game whereas a midfielder can't.

I'm not saying I'm right, just my opinion is all.

Last edited:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Although 4 players have been released, this doesn't mean they weren't offered deals.

From what I heard, Nicolas was offered a deal but I guess he rejected it. Fair enough.

No surprises on the retained list.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
so do i take it the frenchmen are still here then?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There are some people on here who would have criticised the decision on these nine whatever happened. They just cannot wait to have the cheapest, feeblest digs at the management and the board of directors. I would not put it beyond them to have written their opinions before they announcements were made.

Pathetic.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Dies Irae said:
so do i take it the frenchmen are still here then?

Your tone suggests you are suprised ! do you think they could not do a job in league 1 ?

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Les Biehn said:
My point was our defence is even younger and inexperienced than our midfield. Also defence is more keyed into analysing play because you are reacting to the other teams play more than anywhere else on the pitch so an experienced head is more important than say midfield where you are less likely to be pulled out of position because you are not the last men. Also a defender can communicate with his defence and the midfield throughout the most of the game whereas a midfielder can't.

I'm not saying I'm right, just my opinion is all.

Take out Butters, Oatway and Carpenter and the centre of our defence and midfield are equally inexperienced.

As for your justification that experience in defence is more important than midfield I'll just disagree and leave it at that.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Sid James said:
Take out Butters, Oatway and Carpenter and the centre of our defence and midfield are equally inexperienced.

As for your justification that experience in defence is more important than midfield I'll just disagree and leave it at that.

Like I said Sid I'm not saying I'm right, it's purely my opinion on tactics. If my opinion had been the one MM went with (by that I don't mean he actually would have gone with my personal opinion) and it had gone wrong I would have held my hands up.

I also think Chippy has the quality but is past it and Oatway isn't past it but doesn't have the quality.

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'm happy Mayo, Hart and Butters will be here next Season but I think the jury will be out on Carpenter and how he performs at the beginning of the Season. I'm disappointed that Nicolas has gone, but what's done is done and we have to look ahead.
Our team for next Season to me is a fairly average League One side at the moment but if we can add a few new faces to the side - including at least two strikers that replace the 3 we have released then that will go a long way to improving the side. I also think we need a Defender and possibly another Central Midfielder to replace Nicolas.
Hopefully Carole and Frutos will be refreshed for the new season and play as well as they did at the beginning of last Season. They are two very good players on their day. If we can hold onto Kazim-Richards I am sure he will get at least 10 goals for us next Season. We also have two superb youngsters in Gatting and Lynch who will be up for the challenge as well as a few other decent youth players who have signed pro terms.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hadlee said:
Your tone suggests you are suprised ! do you think they could not do a job in league 1 ?

I had heard that they had get out clauses in their contracts should we have been relegated.

i am just surprised this has not been acted upon. maybe they want to stay

Yoda

English & European
ac gull said:
we have agreed deals with Tank, Hart, Oatway, Chippy

Kerry offered 1 year as well - thinking about it

released are Trolley, McPhee, Dodd, Nicolas

Tiurenzo contract terminated by mutual consent

on club site and in the Argus

implies above leaves a bit of money spare in budget for new players etc - at least two strikers it says

Does that mean we still have Molango? ???

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dies Irae said:
I had heard that they had get out clauses in their contracts should we have been relegated.

i am just surprised this has not been acted upon. maybe they want to stay
Unless I was flatly lied to at the Kit Sponsors' Dinner, this is what has been the case all along - that they want to stay.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
My 2 pence worth

Butters should of got 3 months
Dodd had to go
Oatway should of got 2 years
Trolley :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
Mcphee had to go
Nicolas over rated good he has gone
Argie a mistake that the club has now sorted
Mayo unsure
Harty should of got 2 years

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
also an interesting point as MM thought Carole not good enough in the run in to play in the most important games we have had for a long time and he took Frutee off any chance he had.

I am not sure I would have wanted to stay around.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dies Irae said:
also an interesting point as MM thought Carole not good enough in the run in to play in the most important games we have had for a long time and he took Frutee off any chance he had.

I am not sure I would have wanted to stay around.
That is called flouncing and those at the club who have already practised have rightly attracted much scorn from people on here. Thankfully Carole and Frutos are professionals who are both on their first sustained runs in first-team football, and don't intend to f*** it up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here